58/59 FJ25 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tahoe40/45

SILVER Star
Threads
I just acquired my first FJ25L.Most have seen this one a couple of times for sale in the past, it ended up in the FJ25 classifieds. When i first saw it i thought no way,this Cruiser is already rare, and it looks like nothing is there, there is no way could this could go back together. Then a couple of months later i saw it for sale on Mud. Same thought went through my head,but i couldn't stop looking. I finally stopped looking at the 25 classifieds for about two weeks. Then one day i got weak, looked at it again, e-mailed John Pardi, went to see it. Thought about it, got some advise from Cruiser_Nerd.....bought it. It was the challenge to get it back together, and a love for Land Cruisers that made me do it.
Its history as far as i know is, built in Japan in 1958, sold as a 1959. I assume It came to California??,then was some kind of ranch vehicle, lots of little dents from some hard work. Then it was rolled, disassembled, and left for years with the engine pulled apart, tranny covers all off. It was then left to be a home for rust and wasps.

I plan to bring it back as close as possible to stock.Going to start with the drive train, then work my way to the body. Sitting for so long some parts were able to escape, so here is some of the things im looking for if anyone has extras,or ideas on how to get or make them.
Ill start with two of the hardest ones.
I know im dreaming - Rims, Gas cap,
- ( now i will dream a little less :) Horns and horn bracket, stop light switch, turn signal switch, and soft top parts.
There is more that i need, but thought i would start here.

Last edited:
Some pics

After organizing parts, first thing i did was cleaned out the gas tank. Full of leaves and wasp nests. Passenger side b-piller, a little bent.
IMG_0459.jpg
IMG_0455.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg

Another dent, tranny spins pretty good.Reverse is frozen,going to take apart,clean then re assemble.Former tenant.
IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg

Good the see it will get the respect it deserves...all the power to you for going with a true restoration...looking forward to pics and progress as it happens :cheers:

got some advise from Cruiser_Nerd.....bought it.

Ha! Every 25 sold helps improve the values for other owners........ :grinpimp: Looking forward to your resto.

If you need the rear quarter top rail I may have one, probably easier than straightening it, a 40 rail would work just fine to.

Should be interesting what you find in that tranny, hopefully the drain plug was out, here's what happens when it isn't. :hillbilly:
P1210008.JPG

This definately ended up in the right hands,you should see the lv in the garage! Cant wait to see an original resto,start looking for bows now!!!:beer:

I know im dreaming - Rims, Gas cap,
- ( now i will dream a little less :) )Parking brake drum, transfer cover plates, master cylinders (both), turn signal switch, and lower door hinges.
There is more that i need, but thought i would start here.

I think the master cylinders are going to be hard to find also. The easiest thing will be the lower soft top hinges. Those are the same as the soft top hinge used on every soft top FJ40 imported to the US. The Quickest way to find most your parts is to buy another parts 25 not the cheapest but would probably be quicker.

Keep us updated on wht you find.

THANKS Everyone, cant wait to really get started. Ill be able to do some small things for now, but probably wont be able to get started until this summer. I was able to pile up the engine parts I have and take them to the machine shop today,so i guess thats one big/small thing done so far.
One of the things that I think is cool about this older Cruiser is how different some of the parts are, and the way its set up. Front engine mount is cool, front frame crossmember, three bolt fender mount, I know it sounds weird, but the parking brake is pretty cool to.
Got lucky in a way with the tranny and transfer, PTO cover was off of tranny,and transfer cover plates were off, so no Koi fish pond in mine:).
Hey Whitey which direction do I start looking for bows?:) Or who has measurements and pics so i could make them.

Last edited:
THANKS Everyone, cant wait to really get started. Ill be able to do some small things for now, but probably wont be able to get started until this summer. I was able to pile up the engine parts I have and take them to the machine shop today,so i guess thats one big/small thing done so far.
One of the things that I think is cool about this older Cruiser is how different some of the parts are, and the way its set up. Front engine mount is cool, front frame crossmember, three bolt fender mount, I know it sounds weird, but the parking brake is pretty cool to.
Got lucky in a way with the tranny and transfer, PTO cover was off of tranny,and transfer cover plates were off, so no Koi fish pond in mine:).
Hey Whitey which direction do I start looking for bows?:) Or who has measurements and pics so i could make them.

Very cool that you are going to put the old engine back together! I know it would have been easier to drop in an F135, but there is/was only one correct engine for this rig, and now one day it will purr once again :)

There is a thread here with lots of pics and measurements of the old bows...found it; https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/45428-fj25-early-fj40-soft-top-project.html ...some good reading for you :beer:

Very cool that you are going to put the old engine back together! I know it would have been easier to drop in an F135, but there is/was only one correct engine for this rig, and now one day it will purr once again :)

There is a thread here with lots of pics and measurements of the old bows...found it; https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/45428-fj25-early-fj40-soft-top-project.html ...some good reading for you :beer:

Thanks My wife said no FJ, I have picked my way through some of the 25 section, didn't see that one yet.
What year did the F120 end?

Shane had F120 engine decals. I forgot about the three bolt fenders! :lol:

soft door limiting chain accessory?

So i started WHAT R THESE thread in the wrong place, I meant to start it here:doh:. I removed the padlock hasp looking thing from the dash. Maybe it could be for the soft top door limiting chain? The padlock hasp thingi as well as the hardware look like Toyota stuff, matches the one on the tool box.
The circled hole below the dash im pretty sure is for the eye bolt that the door chain connects to, but i have never seen it below the dash. Has anyone ever see that hole so low?
thanks foxfab and Cruiser_Nerd for response on the other thread
IMG_0223.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom