58/59 FJ25 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, seems like yesterday until I searched for it...................

FJ40Peru's 1956 Check out the pictures, the hooks belong there, but for what purpose? Wouldn't be surprised if it's hidden here somewhere. :)

Wow, seems like yesterday until I searched for it...................

FJ40Peru's 1956 Check out the pictures, the hooks belong there, but for what purpose? Wouldn't be surprised if it's hidden here somewhere. :)
Nice find Cruiser_Nerd, thanks. The alinement and placement is a little different than mine. Looks like it was a dealer or owner add on? Now to find out what they are for.

Thanks Shane, hope you get well. I thought i was the only one with OCD and ADD:).

those are for the oem door "open stopper"

this is jonathan ward's 25 with the actual stopper on it

we didnt know what they were at the time...but...i'm pretty sure thats what they are
DSCF1867.JPG
door limiter.jpg

we didnt know what they were at the time...but...i'm pretty sure thats what they are

There you go! Johnny C beats our collective memory again. You can see the eye bolts down below. Also it's pretty apparent why the changed, the door strap was too low and the limit chain was going across a finished surface.

When you get a set of doors note the location of the little tab, the later doors are down further on the vertical rather than horizontal bar.

Johnny, do you recalll what year JW's 25 was? early dash equipment with the later speedo? late '58?

PM sent

looks like you did have it then....we can all use a new memory chip sometimes :D

You're right Phil, I was looking at the closeup. That's a door restraint (same as the toolbox lock loop by the way) because it's on both sides. And what's with the lower eyebolts? It has a high toolbox so it's definately <1960. Now I really want to know the number.

as Jim said as well <1960 maybe 58...maybe 59 :meh:

That FJ25 at TLC 4x4 matches mine. Pretty cool to see one that is assembled and close to the one that i have. Door restraint loops are in the same place,and door chain eye bolt is in the same place, thanks JohnnyC.:clap: Two mysteries (for me at least) answered.
I read some of the, TLC showing 1st 25 in the US thread,and this question came up about the hood emblem. I was wondering if it was figured out, does anyone know if the silver Toyota L/C emblem on the aprons go with the T-Bird, or has anyone seen the silver apron emblems with the oval Toyota hood emblem? Im missing what ever was on the hood.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to find the eye/hook on the dash is for the safety straps since it doesn't have the normal eye bolts or the threaded hole for them. The lower hole could be for a chain attachment that was used to limit the door. Picture of the limiting chain in post two here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/44908-little-25-treasures.html

As usual I had the right idea just upside down and backwards:bang: Glad to see you back Johnny. Hope everything went well and everybody is doing fine.:cheers:

As for your emblem for the hood check here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/511310-first-cruiser-emblem-1951-soon-available.html Red would be the correct color. The Toyota emblem would be what was on the aprons. A veru limited run of these were made a few years back. Beside the apron the tail gate should also have one.
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0476.jpg

As usual I had the right idea just upside down and backwards:bang: Glad to see you back Johnny. Hope everything went well and everybody is doing fine.:cheers:

As for your emblem for the hood check here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/511310-first-cruiser-emblem-1951-soon-available.html Red would be the correct color. The Toyota emblem would be what was on the aprons. A veru limited run of these were made a few years back. Beside the apron the tail gate should also have one.
My aprons look like they came with my cruiser, and is set up for the Toyota Land Cruiser silver emblem. So I probably need to find the T-Bird to be correct? Any idea of another run of tail gate emblems?

Measure the distance between the holes on the hood and that will tell you which one you need. I had to drill a couple of holes in my 35 hood to put the ovel emblem on. Might check with Sean on the emblems. He was talking about having some made.

Measure the distance between the holes on the hood and that will tell you which one you need. I had to drill a couple of holes in my 35 hood to put the ovel emblem on. Might check with Sean on the emblems. He was talking about having some made.
I have a oval emblem and it didn't line up. So I guess im on the later side of the 1958 production. Anybody have a hand full of extra T-bird emblems laying around:)?

Got some bad news from the machine shop, the matching block is cracked. That sucks!!, but what can you do? I figured there was a reason the engine was pulled. On to the next block.

Good cool news though! foxfab set me up with master cylinders:bounce:. and the cool part is that they were the last new boxed cylinders a couple owners back. SUPER COOL!!

I though i would start with some of the safety features on the FJ25. My p-brake lever button was frozen, soaked it in some PB blaster, then added some heat. got most of it apart. Soaking the button part now.

I've never seen this on a early Cruiser before, holes for apron hood bumpers?
IMG_0651.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg

Last edited:
SAVE THAT BLOCK!!!

I have read where they can now save some of these old cracked blocks and heads. I forget where I read it, but I know that they were starting to do this more and more since a lot of the antique parts are just getting too hard, if not impossible to find.

I don't remember if it is "metal stitching" or "furnace welding" or "pinning" or some kind of brazing, but I do remember having to drill the ends of the cracks to keep it from spreading, making a V groove, and stuff. I have read it not that long ago actually...wish I can remember where I read it...I'll have to look through some stuff when I have a minute.

Anyone else know what I am talking about?????

Anyways...there is only one matching number block for your rig, and it is worth (at least in my opinion) to look into this to see if it can be saved :beer:

Emblem

I dont think the T-bird would be correct. According to this picture you should have the earlier Oval "Toyota" Script. But like all early stuff im sure there isnt an exact cutoff date but a mixture of 58/59 : oval/tbird. The stud spread on the back of the oval is exactly 126 mm apart, center to center. I confirmed a perfect fit on Marv Spectors Early BJ. How about I donate one to this project when it is complete?
IMG_0094.jpg
Mikes Iphone pics 1-28-12 803.jpg

Last edited:
My aprons look like they came with my cruiser, and is set up for the Toyota Land Cruiser silver emblem. So I probably need to find the T-Bird to be correct? Any idea of another run of tail gate emblems?

I dont know what is available from the batch made before. I can make the rear "TOYOTA" too if there is enough interest To justify the cost of another mold being made.

I dont know what is available from the batch made before. I can make the rear "TOYOTA" too if there is enough interest To justify the cost of another mold being made.

The first go around didn't bring much interest. The early FJ25 had a Toyota emblem on the back of the soft top model as well as on the aprons on the earlier FJ25s. I would have to dig a copy of the Toyota ad with the first Land Cruiser ever sold in the US but I believe it sported the T bird. So doubt any FJ25s with Toyota only emblems were imported. I think it was a switch during the 58 model year before the first one was imported. One issue of the large Toyota emblem besides the cost is where to use them. Just like the tailgate that were made with Toyota stamped into it. You end up covering it up with a spare tire and license plate. On the 40 series you could use them on the aprons but most seem to like the idea of sporting Land Cruiser as much as Toyota. One of the reason the early Land Cruiser stamped bezels are so popular. To make this work I would think you might have to try and drum up business with models to make it feasible. I plan on using my oval Toyota emblem on a early FJ40 with the stamped Land Cruiser bezel.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom