58/59 FJ25 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this rim correct for a FJ25? Its part # 42601-69010, stamped on the rim is 4 1/2KX16 3.5 76/ 10.:bang::bang: I FOUND IT!! I kept looking for rim, It was under wheel in the parts section.
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg

Last edited:
Curious...im no expert on this but and inspection hole? Isnt that a 25 rim give away? No spring clips? Here is a picture of the spamping inside a rim I have here. You can see that there is what I am assuming to be a year of manufacture. Although the rust pitting has it a little washed out, this one is clearly marked 62. Does that one have a similar year stamp?
rim stampings 62.jpg

Umm, yes, that's a correct rim and part number................are you saying you found it in the system and bought it? :confused: If so, all I can say is.............. :doh: Congrats if you scored a rim!:bounce:

Mike, the brake inspection hole is only on the 25, I can't remember if they're stamped with a date code.

25 rims came with hubcap clips or without.

Umm, yes, that's a correct rim and part number................are you saying you found it in the system and bought it? :confused: If so, all I can say is.............. :doh: Congrats if you scored a rim!:bounce:

Mike, the brake inspection hole is only on the 25, I can't remember if they're stamped with a date code.

25 rims came with hubcap clips or without.

Thanks Cruiser_Nerd
No, I meant I found the part# in the FJ25 (& some 40's) part # thread to make sure that I had the correct rim.
I bought the rim from Marv Spector, it was brand new, still had stickers on it. Four more to go!!

Last edited:
Thanks Cruiser_Nerd
No, I ment I found the part# in the FJ25 (& some 40's) part # thread to make sure that it was the correct rim.
I bought the rim from Marv Spector, it was brand new, still had stickers on it. Four more to go!!

Did you take a pic of the stickers? Cool find!

I will be hauling #15 in the "count the 25s" thread out of storage in a couple of weeks. It currently has the two rear wheels off of #14 on the front axle. I plan on selling it. Doors, rear seats and a few othe parts went to CT but still a lot of 25 left on it.

That is very interesting. I believe the 76/10 met it was made 10/76. Besides not thinking Toyota made those wheels that long I find it odd it came without hub cap clips. Not sure any FJ25/FJ40 pre 8/80/FJ45 were imported to the US without hub cap clips unless special order. Middle East, South America and OZ most didn't have the clips. Wonder if by 76 the non hub cap wheel was all that was available. Special order that someone didn't pick up? Did Marv know any more about it's history. In any case good score.:cheers:

I don't believe the original as in what came on these back fifty years ago had a date stamped on the wheel. The process sticker is dated 04/12. So that may be when Marv picked it up. also show quanitity 1. So this may have been the late one. Didn't you check the system before Dec 04 Jim? Probably sitting at some dealer and not showing up on the parts list since Toyota won't even have that number in there system anymore.

So how many of you 25 owners are using tubes in your original wheels? No tubes on these. Only issue was a leaking valve stem.
IMG_0363.jpg

I didn't find the number in the system. Here's the stamping on an original one, if they did a run that late there's hope for more out there! :lol:
IMG-20120323-00047.jpg

So the stampiong would be under the rubber band on the inside? Next time I head north I will have to check a wheel or two off the rim.
So Jim are you and Mike using tubes?

Great now that I see the date codes are there I'm going to have to go thru all my riveted 15" wheels to make sure I use the correct one for my early FJ40 restore.:bang:

I didn't find the number in the system. Here's the stamping on an original one, if they did a run that late there's hope for more out there! :lol:

Ya those weren't only dated thirty-five years ago, just like yesterday.:rolleyes: Since Toyota dropped all the cruisers earlier than 3/69 out of the parts system it makes it even easier.:mad:

John, I run tubes but mainly because the XZL's were pretty beat up.

SAVE THAT BLOCK!!!

I have read where they can now save some of these old cracked blocks and heads. I forget where I read it, but I know that they were starting to do this more and more since a lot of the antique parts are just getting too hard, if not impossible to find.

I don't remember if it is "metal stitching" or "furnace welding" or "pinning" or some kind of brazing, but I do remember having to drill the ends of the cracks to keep it from spreading, making a V groove, and stuff. I have read it not that long ago actually...wish I can remember where I read it...I'll have to look through some stuff when I have a minute.

Anyone else know what I am talking about?????

Anyways...there is only one matching number block for your rig, and it is worth (at least in my opinion) to look into this to see if it can be saved :beer:

Im going to save it, hopefully it could be fixed. I asked them again at the machine shop if it could be fixed. He said because the crack is on the water jacket and crosses into a freeze plug, that it wasn't reparable.

Cool link off of Cracked Block, locknstich. the youtube video is pretty cool.
IMG_0735.jpg

Im going to save it, hopefully it could be fixed. I asked them again at the machine shop if it could be fixed. He said because the crack is on the water jacket and crosses into a freeze plug, that it wasn't reparable.

Cool link off of Cracked Block, locknstich. the youtube video is pretty cool.

Cool that you will give it a shot...looking forward to learning more about the process :cheers:

John, I run tubes but mainly because the XZL's were pretty beat up.

I run tubes just because Jim told me to :D

I guess I need to put the 25 on blocks until I can get tubes installed. Wonder how long Toyota used tubes? I have stock 15" rims that are much newer that had the rubber band on the inside covering the rivets. The only use I could see for the rubber band is to protect a inner tube.:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom