Builds $400 ‘70 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Jade Bean

Figuring out life still.
SILVER Star
Threads
Well we already have a ‘91 Troop Carrier and I was going to make a trailer from 40series parts to pull behind it, so I put some feelers out there for parts needed. I got tagged on FB about a 1970 FJ40 that was parked 2 yrs earlier after it wouldn’t start at a farm. The owner said make an offer and I said how’s $500 thinking he would laugh, but he said come on. We drove 4hrs and looked it over and I reluctantly asked if he’d come down to $400 just to see if I could save just a bit more and he said, sure...we just want it gone. So we brought it home.

I have no idea if it’s even worth restoring yet as I haven’t gone through it, but I’m thinking it probably is. If I do bring it back, I have no plans to keep it original as I already do that with our Troopy.

Off the top, I’m considering a 350, 5 speed, full roll cage, rear bench seat for the kiddos, 3+” lift, 35? tires and a few other things. Sorry purists!

This is basically my first 40 so I know very little, so please forgive my ignorance.
0BF493B9-0285-4D30-A8D2-19D3B3671CCA.jpeg
B61F6A0E-5842-4157-A202-B19E20C4474F.jpeg
83C49E64-3FDC-4BE2-8E51-122213F5F71D.jpeg
4749673F-98BB-4C1B-8DC7-D583238D3F10.jpeg
FF97224C-E5C6-4067-A89F-52B0A07F8DA6.jpeg

Last edited:
The previous resident and the new residents.
D49392C8-EE26-4173-B793-F7FFD2D65DAC.jpeg

902A84EA-302D-45DD-9FA4-DB74A3600240.jpeg

Woohoo!

Bezel, ahem.

You obviously have a great wife when you unloaded that in your front yard. Congratulations on the find!

Just let the moss grow and you won't need seat covers:cheers:. Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
Cool Daniel,
Good find, they are getting harder to find at that price. hope its not to funky. I have a 1970 parts rig with a lot of extras, I use parts too, but might not need all of them! Post what you need, hope I can help.

Last edited:
Nice score, You got this! Thats way more solid than what I (and many others) started with, if a little less complete. Some would say you stole it at that price. From here on out it's just a balance of time vs. money. What's the plan?

Gabe, we have corrupted "Mr Coffee". He's got the 40 bug and it is heading in the right direction.

For sure I got bit. With y’all help it’ll be way easier than without! :cheers:

Cool Daniel,
Good find, they are getting harder to find at that price. hope its not to funky. I have a 1970 parts rig with a lot of extras, I use parts too, but might not need all of them! Post what you need, hope I can help.

I wasn’t even looking, so maybe that’s the trick. I just need a few things really right now. I’ll put together a list and post up soon. Thank you!

Nice score, You got this! Thats way more solid than what I (and many others) started with, if a little less complete. Some would say you stole it at that price. From here on out it's just a balance of time vs. money. What's the plan?

Thanks! First a good cleaning and evaluation. Then a basic build plan to see how quick it could come together given my sparse budget. Lol.

Love the fact that the whole family is there for the pick-up and load process.

This will be a build to watch

Lake

My kids think it’s super cool and my bride is just amazing! @The Book Worm

I like the security and how you chained it to the tree just so it doesn't get away. Nice find. Whatever you do with it, $400 is a steal.

Lol. I basically chained it to a tree and pulled the trailer out from under it.

You've crossed over to the dark side, next you'll be selling us Folgers Colombian!

That is a heck of a score for $400! Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom