Builds 4 door FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok....the ICON FJ44 is badass!! Too bad they don't give dimensions for the wheelbase on it. Aqualu shows a 120" wheelbase for the crewcab....that's
Monster wheelbase!

Aqualu 4 door body was built for the FJ45 chassis. Aqualu is in Canada where 45s are more readily available then the states. I talked with the Aqualu guys about building a 4 door for the 80 series. The US has more 80s available then 45s...

My attempt at drumming up more interest for it..

https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/381123-aqualu-aluminum-4-door-fj-body.html

I believe Aqualu is in now located on the central california coast in the Paso Robles area. At least that is what I understood by the Ad banner that was flashing on MUD in July of 2009 and during a conversation while at SnT 2010.

Found this on facebook ,user "toyoteros en el mundo" if you what photos this guy has plenty!!!
ban.jpg
ban.jpg

That is awesome. Closest one I have seen yet to what I have envisioned. The angled rear door & shortened back end are right on. It looks like they did away with the removable top option. B pillar needs to be narrower, but that is pretty much it. Really cool. Cant wait till I have enough parts to start the build.

I believe Aqualu is in now located on the central california coast in the Paso Robles area. At least that is what I understood by the Ad banner that was flashing on MUD in July of 2009 and during a conversation while at SnT 2010.

Huh? Maybe they have a distributer there.

Aqualu Contact Us

Must be a satelite location, or distributor. I live in Kelowna and Aqualu is still in operation here. Great guys to deal with. I have had all kinds of help and support from Todd.

Thanks. It not to scale. Based on memory, and a few quick peaks at my cruiser.

My local newspaper ran an article on Icon's 4-door "FJ44". I'm liking Icon's methods less and less.
I think the pic that Numbers posted up looks like one of the better 4-door 40's I've seen.

My local newspaper ran an article on Icon's 4-door "FJ44". I'm liking Icon's methods less and less.
I think the pic that Numbers posted up looks like one of the better 4-door 40's I've seen.

See what you mean. The icon fj44 is a much downgrade from the previous ones. The drawing is the best looking 4dr fj40 I've ever seen, and so far haven't seen anything comes remotely close to it. Either the wrong door, window, b pillar too wide, anything but factory issue. I'm looking forward to build exactly like the drawing. Now, I need to finish my current project and save up some spares.
:cheers:

See what you mean. The icon fj44 is a much downgrade from the previous ones. The drawing is the best looking 4dr fj40 I've ever seen, and so far haven't seen anything comes remotely close to it. Either the wrong door, window, b pillar too wide, anything but factory issue. I'm looking forward to build exactly like the drawing. Now, I need to finish my current project and save up some spares.
:cheers:
Well put. I am still collecting parts. also working on finishing my expedition trailer. The trailer project was desinged to be a practice run for the 4 door build. Lots of similarities. I have learned a lot through building it. Excited to start the 4 door. :princess: says 1 project at a time.

How similar are Fj40 and Fj55 frames? could a 4 door 40 sit on a 55 frame with out extensive modification?

If you plan on making a 4 door 40 I believe you can make it work on a 55.

My plan is to build a 4door 40 on an 80 frame. So I will have to go through pretty extensive mods, especially if aqualu doesn't build a body, to fit an 80.

meh, I wouldn't roll with the aqualu body, or any other aluminum tub, from what I've read, they have finish detail issues as well as fitment issues on the doors. They ask too much for something that still isn't 100%.

meh, I wouldn't roll with the aqualu body, or any other aluminum tub, from what I've read, they have finish detail issues as well as fitment issues on the doors. They ask too much for something that still isn't 100%.

For what they are asking for those bodies there should be absolutely no figment issues.

I anticipate I will have some issues because I am probably going to build some
Of the parts from scratch .

I keep going back and forth with wanting a removable hardtop or just making it permanent. It would be nice if was removable but ive always liked some form of a top on regardless (bikini top, safari top) to keep the sun off me.
I would run hard doors.
Part of the The b pillar is removable on 40s correct ?

Any one have a rendering of a 4 door 40 with the top off?

on the 66(?)+ 40's the B-pillar terminated at the tub line, and another B-pillar was built into the hard-top

I have not heard about fitment issues with Aqualu products - not any more than with steel or fiber products. I think the problem lies in the fact that the components of a 40 are all bolt-ons... that is: they can he hung on the frame or other body parts in a way that generally looks right but is in fact not right.

The process that has been recommended to me that I intend to follow when reassembling my 40 is to put everything together leaving bolts just snug - then adjust and tighten to get everything to mate up correctly.

I think the problems that people encounter are less component issues and more assembly issues.

That said I would LOVE to be able to assemble a 4 door 40 series using an 80 chassis. I would even be willing to keep the 80 interior and dash with the 40 exterior. A 40 style dash would sweeten the pot but if that makes it twice as difficult to engineer give me the 80 dash.

I keep going back and forth with wanting a removable hardtop or just making it permanent. It would be nice if was removable but ive always liked some form of a top on regardless (bikini top, safari top) to keep the sun off me.
I would run hard doors.
Part of the The b pillar is removable on 40s correct ?

Any one have a rendering of a 4 door 40 with the top off?
I will be making mine with a removable top. Thats one of the most atractive features of the 40 IMHO. I have saved 4 "B" pilars from the tops that I used for my trailer build. I plan to use early doors. The top hinges on the rear doors will have to be relocated lower to attach to the tub section of the "B" pillar. Here are some pics of a bandierante with the top off. Not a 4 door but same wheel base so you get the idea. Id like to see it with a cage. I have a rendering of mine with the top off but can't find the file at the moment.
b02b_4.jpg
b037_4.jpg
b02e_4.jpg

If you plan on making a 4 door 40 I believe you can make it work on a 55.QUOTE]

I know anything can be "made" to work. What Im asking is how disimilar are the 40 and 55 series frames. I know running gear is nearly identical, but i have no experience with 55's and dont know anyone who owns one that I can look at to compare. the 55 has my ideal wheel base though, so I am curious if I could save time by buying a 55 and dropping the 4 door 40 body onto the frame keeping all the running gear intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom