Builds 4 door FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Photochopped... that's one small door
If you look at my rendering, you'll notice that my door will have and angled section so that it can extend over the rear wheel well efectively making the door wider while maintaining a shorter wheel base. Admittedly it will me more involved to modify (thats why most other attempts at a 4 door 40 stick with the stock square shape) , but it's the only way to get the porpotions to come out right.

If you plan on making a 4 door 40 I believe you can make it work on a 55.QUOTE]

I know anything can be "made" to work. What Im asking is how disimilar are the 40 and 55 series frames. I know running gear is nearly identical, but i have no experience with 55's and dont know anyone who owns one that I can look at to compare. the 55 has my ideal wheel base though, so I am curious if I could save time by buying a 55 and dropping the 4 door 40 body onto the frame keeping all the running gear intact.

55's have completely different body mounts. Other than that I don't know if the rise is different on at the back. I have a toyota manual with frame dims but i don't have access to it right now. PM me and I'll scan some pages for you if you like. This thread is 6 pages in though and somebody needs to chop something up and get started soon.

meh, I wouldn't roll with the aqualu body, or any other aluminum tub, from what I've read, they have finish detail issues as well as fitment issues on the doors. They ask too much for something that still isn't 100%.

reviewing my notes here:
turns out it's the Cruiser$olutions brand aluminum that's the trouble. My mistake.

reviewing my notes here:
turns out it's the Cruiser$olutions brand aluminum that's the trouble. My mistake.

The good folks at Cruiser Solutions sell Aqualu AFAIK... I THINK Aqualu is the only one making aluminum cruiser body panels...

The good folks at Cruiser Solutions sell Aqualu AFAIK... I THINK Aqualu is the only one making aluminum cruiser body panels...

Could be. It wouldn't surprise me. Back when I was mooning over Alu tubs, they had two options, one was in-house, and one was their "next generation" and was in development. The older tubs were squared off at the rockers, and had fitment issues with the cowl. It could have just been marketing to herd people into buying their more expensive next-gen lineup for all I know.:meh:

Got this pic from a friend. Said it is based on 80's frame, suspension, and engine (1hdt). Imo, too long behind the rear door, still missing something.
4dr40.jpg

got anymore pics FJ x8?

looks like a regular FJ45 with 4 doors..

This is my dads project Twin Cab. He has used a full door and lower sill section from a ute cab we had hanging around.

DSCF0074Small.jpg

This is my dads project Twin Cab. He has used a full door and lower sill section from a ute cab we had hanging around.

DSCF0074Small.jpg

DSCF0073Small.jpg

DSCF0077Small.jpg

We will build a short tray as we are also going to cut the rear chassis off just behind the hangers for better departure angle.

We will build a short tray as we are also going to cut the rear chassis off just behind the hangers for better departure angle.

Great! Make sure you start your own thread.

This thread is 6 pages in though and somebody needs to chop something up and get started soon..

Amen to that. Id like to. I have parts saved, but my donor cruisers are in too rough of shape. Still looking for one that will work & not break the bank.

Found it! I got a 76' that will be the foundation for the 4 door build. It has a ConFer auxiliary gas tank, and a Factory soft top tail gate. With the added length I will be able to fit the 1FZ-FE, A343F tranny & HF2AV Tcase that is sitting in my driveway. (bottom left) Im not quite ready to pull out the torch just yet, But getting much much closer! :D
CIMG0219.jpg

55's have completely different body mounts. Other than that I don't know if the rise is different on at the back. I have a toyota manual with frame dims but i don't have access to it right now. PM me and I'll scan some pages for you if you like. This thread is 6 pages in though and somebody needs to chop something up and get started soon.

Great! I dont know how i missed this! Sent you a PM with my info. :bounce:

Found it! I got a 76' that will be the foundation for the 4 door build. It has a ConFer auxiliary gas tank, and a Factory soft top tail gate. With the added length I will be able to fit the 1FZ-FE, A343F tranny & HF2AV Tcase that is sitting in my driveway. (bottom left) Im not quite ready to pull out the torch just yet, But getting much much closer! :D

Thats a big piece of the puzzle right there !

Volcanic Iceberg - Any progress on your build?

No progress on the 4door. Ive been working on getting my 71' on the road again. Gotta have a running 40 before I dive into a massive project. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom