3F-E Conversion Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I played with the air cleaner bracket tonight. I cut off the long leg on the bottom and bent the steel over ro make a good attachment point for my repurposed bracket.

It's going to work fine, I think.

:)

Last edited:
The real trick is going to be to figure out how to get the crank case breather and the ISC valve plumbed into the intake between the MAF and TB. Anyone ever weld on aluminum pipe before???

Also, I was never really happy with the way I had mounted the main ignition relay and new "switched ECU relay" to the FJ62 fuse panel. It was a good idea, poorly executed. Also, I was not happy with my choice of the firewall/engine bay to mount my two non-weatherproof headlight hi/lo beam relays. That was just a bad idea.

So, I picked up a 4 position relay panel off Amazon and am going to mount it to the underside of the dash on the driver's kick panel. I made up a simple bracket out of some sheet metal and some riv-nuts:

It's a bit bulky but should fit just fine in the space provided:

So, I tore into the fuse panel again... "snippety snip..." Cut all the wires needed to power the two ignition relays:

Here's the new panel ready to go in, complete with properly color coded pig tails (I knew I kept all that spare wire for a reason!):

I'm going to wait until I have the pedal cluster out of the way before I graft it in. There's just no room to maneuver in there right now.

More to come...

The elbow will need to have some flex to allow the engine to torque over, I can't tell what it is made of from the pictures. It just doesn't look like there is enough give in the system to handle the engine movement and vibration - but I'm just looking at a picture...

Your relay panel looks good, great idea. I find myself surfing ebay looking for hardware to solve issues like that.

I too wondered about that. I ordered a bulged hose coupler that I'm hoping will add some more give to the intake hose. The silicone hose is pretty soft and pliable. I won't know if it'll work until I try it, I suppose.

Pablo, I'm definitely going to farm out the welding of the bungs. I don't want to mess it up by attempting it myself. I've got some feelers out there on the local 4x4 forum for a good fab shop to take it to.

The relay panel should work like a champ. It's a tight fit in there and there's not a lot of clearance for the turn signal flasher, but it will fit. The real challenge for me will be welding the mounting bracket to the tub in such a contorted and odd angle. Luckily, you won't see it often so it can be ugly, as long as it's solid.

Here are a few more pics:

Here's where it's going:

I got some more work done on the 3FE today. I got the engine bolted down, the radiator mounted and the shroud trimmed and attached.

I also mounted the overflow container and ran a bunch of vacuum and EVAP lines.

I'm not thrilled with these clamps I used on the intake but they'll do for now:

I re-wrapped the engine harness and moved the leads for the fuel pressure regulator VSV and the MAF. I think this looks nice and tidy:

I need to find a longer 1/2" molded 90 degree elbow hose for the valve cover vent hose but otherwise, everything else is now hooked up:

I used my spare parts bin of NPT junk to cobble together a 5/8" barb to connect to the ISC:

Anyone happen to know the answer to this? Of these three inlets on the air cleaner, I believe the larger one (left) goes to the distributor cap vent nipple, the middle one I connect to the charcoal canister VCV and the right one...??? I think it went to the AI VSV which has been deleted. I can't find a clear answer in the FSM.

Also, speaking of mysteries... this inlet on the plentum is kicking my ass too, Where is this supposed to lead?

I re-wrapped the engine harness and moved the leads for the fuel pressure regulator VSV and the MAF. I think this looks nice and tidy:

Anyone happen to know the answer to this? Of these three inlets on the air cleaner, I believe the larger one (left) goes to the distributor cap vent nipple, the middle one I connect to the charcoal canister VCV and the right one...??? I think it went to the AI VSV which has been deleted. I can't find a clear answer in the FSM.

Also, speaking of mysteries... this inlet on the plentum is kicking my ass too, Where is this supposed to lead?

I think it looks like you should re-do my 3FE install! When can I send it to you? :D

I know the answer to that, somewhere in my vacuum line schematics. If you click the lnik in my signature for my tech threads, and then click the link for 3FE threads, I have vacuum line schematics posted

The last image shows a vacuum connection for 4WD in the 62/80. Cap that sucker off.

Some vacuum line schematics:
3FE vacuum.jpg
fj62%20vacuum%20piping.jpg

She LIVES!

I got the truck to the point where I was ready to test start it today and didn't get very far at first. It would crank and get fuel, but not spark. It took me three hours of wire tracing to find the culprit (broken wire connection). I was really bracing myself for weeks of brutal uphill battles tracking down gremlins and solving problems. Well, as it turns out, all I needed to do was patch that one switched power wire to the ignitor and she fired right up.

God, fuel injection is going to be sooo nice.

Now, I don't have any exhaust or O2 sensors and the throttle cable hasn't been adjusted yet so I this was just to see if it would run at all. My buddy Sam heped too.

Success:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom