3F-E Conversion Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very helpful - thank you!

The 62 cable really isn't too long. It wraps around the front of the intake manifold and is supported by the little bracket there.

I got the wire harness test fit to make sure the connectors will reach the ECU:

Check.

And I also cut the upper fuse panel tab off and repositioned it to accomodate the larger FJ62 fuse panel:

Check.

I used a strong magnet to hold it while I tack welded it in place. It didn't come out that pretty because I couldn't see what I was doing. I'll try to clean it up next weekend. But, I'm really happy with the way the fuse panel sits in there. It looks very factory!

I'm starting the mock-up to be sure everything fits right. The front motor mounts have given me fits. I've played with it quite a bit and am still not able to get the crank sitting dead center in the frame. I slotted the mount holes and used 1" spacer between the driver's motor mount and frame bracket and got it as best as I think I'm going to be able. After re-reading through several other 3FE conversion threads, it kind of looks to me like everyone's engine is a little off center so I'm hoping this won't cause any issues. I did test fit the radiator and fan shroud and it looks like it's going to be a pretty easy fit.

I've got the entire injection system bolted back on (temporarily). Reason being, I had all the hardware and brackets yellow zinc plated locally and although the shop did a good job on the parts, they screwed me royally in another way. I had carefully counted/measured every nut and bolt and placed them, in groups, in labeled zip lock bags describing the contents and where they came from. I thought this would make reassembly a breeze... and it may have... if the plating shop had not dumped their contents into a plating vat and then thrown away the bags.

So, I got a large bucket of stuff and had to figure out where everything goes. DO'H! (I'll probably be asking for some help on that score later too)

Since I am now working off of memory alone, I decided to start putting everything back together before I forget where everything went. Thankfully, I've got almost all the major mysteries solved now.

Here are some photos of the progress:

This photo shows how far off the engine is from the centerline (the large arrow is center):

Does anyone know what these holes are for? Are they even factory?

The engine harness is buttoned back up. I had to reroute the fuel pressure VSV wires into the engine harness since I'm not going to mount it on the fender. I have yet to figure out a good place to mount it on the plentum though.

I put in the battery tray to see how much room I'll have for the charcoal canister, fuel filter and air cleaner.

I really wanted to use the stock air cleaner assembly on this, but I just don't see any way that is possible.

The FJ62 charcoal canister bracket will bolt up to the FJ40 frame with a little bit of tweaking:

And to answer a question asked earlier; the stock FJ62 throttle cable will fit very nicely:

I'm also using the stock FJ62 booster and just had to shorten up the booster line a bit to fit:

The power steering box is going to be a tight fit with the exhaust manifold:

The real close call is the drag link and the driver's side shock. This is pretty dang close in my book:

The 62 cable is pretty long. I may decide to do something different or even shorten it a bit but it comes close to mounting right up without much fuss. Here are a few pics. I've only got one bolt holding it in temporarily.

Oh noes! What happened to the pictures?

A few thoughts:

I do not believe any of the Fs (1, 2, or 3) are mounted in the frame centered.
You should be able to modify the 3FE air cleaner for the 40 engine compartment. I am trying to remember what I had to take out, but I got it to fit in my 55. I know the long hose had to go.
I can check on the holes on the firewall next time I am near my 40
Go 60 series PS and the box will be fwd, no drag link to worry about!

A few questions:
I used the 62 throttle pedal in my 55 and it is less than ideal - can you re-load your pics of the 40 pedal using the 3FE cable?
How difficult is it to R&R injectors on the 3FE? Mine has been sitting for a little while and I am worried the old gas has been in those injectors for too long. You seem to have pretty good access to things at this point in your build.

I fixed the links to the photos in post #41 for you.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know the original engines weren't centered! My truck had a V8 in it so a lot of this I'm having to learn the hard way. This is why they say you are supposed to start with an unmodified example for restorations!

A buddy has told me that the FZJ80 air cleaner housing is similar to the FJ62 (same bracket size at the MAF) and it is supposedly smaller in diameter than the 62 housing. I may try that if I can't get the 62 air filter in there. I really want it to have a stock Toyota air cleaner.

I'll let you know about the injectors too. I haven't rebuilt them yet as I'm still waiting on the rebuild kit to arrive. I just assembled everything hand tight for now to thin out the pile of hardware I got back from the plater.

I fixed the links to the photos in post #41 for you.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know the original engines weren't centered! My truck had a V8 in it so a lot of this I'm having to learn the hard way. This is why they say you are supposed to start with an unmodified example for restorations!

A buddy has told me that the FZJ80 air cleaner housing is similar to the FJ62 (same bracket size at the MAF) and it is supposedly smaller in diameter than the 62 housing. I may try that if I can't get the 62 air filter in there. I really want it to have a stock Toyota air cleaner.

I'll let you know about the injectors too. I haven't rebuilt them yet as I'm still waiting on the rebuild kit to arrive. I just assembled everything hand tight for now to thin out the pile of hardware I got back from the plater.

Thank you, I guess I had to re-load the thread to see the images again. I would like to go back to the 55 pedal in mine, the 62 pedal is too far off the floor and cramps my leg after a while. Does the 40 pedal give you full range of motion on the throttle plate? (not like I am going to be running WOT on mine...)
That would be tough work taking out a V8 conversion AND converting to 3FE - way to go!!!

I grabbed an image of the 3FE air cleaner - I took out pieces 30 & 33 to get mine to fit. It works well. My only beef with this is that it challenges my access to my dipstick :)doh:) for checking oil...
3FE Air Cleaner.jpg

The FJ62 charcoal canister bracket will bolt up to the FJ40 frame with a little bit of tweaking...

I'm also using the stock FJ62 booster and just had to shorten up the booster line a bit to fit...

Last comment and question for a little while, I promise!

You should be able to use your 40 series charcoal cannister that was native to the '73 with your 3FE (unless this was removed as part of the V8 conversion.

Does the 62 booster bolt right up to your firewall w/ no mods, spacers, etc? What master cylinder are you running on that booster? It looks a bit thinner than my '78 40 booster and my '74 55 booster.

Great Job!

Not saying you are wrong, but this does not make sense to me...

Those holes do look factory to me.

They didn't look factory to me either, but he's right. The e-brake support bracket bolts between the firewall and the under side of the dash. As soon as he said it I had an "ah ha" moment!

Last comment and question for a little while, I promise!

You should be able to use your 40 series charcoal cannister that was native to the '73 with your 3FE (unless this was removed as part of the V8 conversion.

Does the 62 booster bolt right up to your firewall w/ no mods, spacers, etc? What master cylinder are you running on that booster? It looks a bit thinner than my '78 40 booster and my '74 55 booster.

Great Job!

My truck didn't have the original charcoal canister so I'm using the one from the 62. I was able to find a fuel separator from another '73 so I'll be using that. But, as everything was ripped out by farmer Joe, I've got to figure out how to re-plumb the emissions stuff.

Here's where I mounted the charcoal canister (note that I bolted the fuel filter to the canister bracket):

I also got the later model heater valve installed. I'm going to have to buy some longer hose as the chunks I was able to salvage are too short:

I'm going to weld a bracket to the firewall here for the clutch slave cylinder junction:

The 62 booster bolted up without any issues to the firewall. I don't know how well it's going to work with the pedal cluster jet as it's still at the powdercoating shop. I may have to tweak the actuating rod or add a spacer to get it to work with the pedals...

Also, since we're playing "Name That Part", does anyone have any idea where these bits go?

I want to say the two pins are related to the pedal cluster (which isn't here yet). The sheet metal bracket looks very familiar but I just can't place it:

air box

I wanted to try the bj40 air box. I was thinking about trying to graft the piece the MAF sensor bolts to on to the top of the bj40 box. It mounts to the fender. I had to move my battery back to clear the ac compressor so I had no room for it.
IMG_2370.jpeg

fj62 air box

I had this picture of a 40 with 3fe and fj62 air box so you can see what it could look like.
1009_4wd_07+1976_toyota_land_cruiser_FJ40+3FE_engine.jpg

My truck didn't have the original charcoal canister so I'm using the one from the 62. I was able to find a fuel separator from another '73 so I'll be using that. But, as everything was ripped out by farmer Joe, I've got to figure out how to re-plumb the emissions stuff.

Here's where I mounted the charcoal canister (note that I bolted the fuel filter to the canister bracket):

Also, since we're playing "Name That Part", does anyone have any idea where these bits go?

I want to say the two pins are related to the pedal cluster (which isn't here yet). The sheet metal bracket looks very familiar but I just can't place it:

No fuel separator and no charcoal can. That rig must have reeked like raw gasoline most of the time :vomit:

Could I get a close-up of how you mounted the fuel filter? Seeing your work makes me wish I had done my 3FE install a little cleaner. Right now I have some GM variant fuel filter in there with an unsavory looking mount. I was battling fuel system issues for a while and had to cut out the old Toyota jacketed fuel filter on mthe way over to Moab due to clogging. The local parts store had no filters for a 62, so things got improvised. I'd like to go back to the factory filter now that my fuel system is finished singing the blues.

The pins do look like the pedals pivot on them. The bracket looks very familiar too, but I cannot place it. I'll have to poke around under my dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom