3 Suggestions Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

22590FJ62

SILVER Star
Threads
1. FJ60 style door cards...I drive an FJ62 but I want to change all four doors to manual. I have already changed one door but it looks ghetto...it works flawlessly though. I found some cool looking door cards on eBay but I'd like to see what y'all think first, instead. Just want a clean look to go with my soon to be LS swap.

2. Suspension options...benefits between swapping to coil-over suspension or just upgrading my current leaf springs with a bigger lift. Links to both options on the thread if possible. If I remain with the leaf springs, should they look stock or should I do the above axle option?

3. Custom or purchased roof rack options. Needed for camping gear (tent, canopy, chairs, luggage, etc. and possible roof relocation of spare tire).

Any thoughts on any of these and/or links to already built threads on these would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of completely rebuilding this ride for daily driving and for weekend getaways. I tried to search for all of these in the FJ60 threads but came up short. I know some of you more experienced riders have a plethora of options in your back pocket...that's why I'm reaching out. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:
there are 62 series with manual windows, it was a factory option, or poverty pack,
or 1987 60 series had the same pinstripe fabric
what color interior?

there are 62 series with manual windows, it was a factory option, or poverty pack,
or 1987 60 series had the same pinstripe fabric
what color interior?
I have a grey interior. I knew there were FJ62s with manual options. I already have all of the hardware to change the windows but I want new door cards. Don't care if the look OEM or not, as long as they are functional and tough.

- who makes NEW reproduction FJ60 / 62 manual cranking door cards ?

- only top shelf smack iv seen lately is in @TRAIL TAILOR build thread , he has some new and interesting ideas going on for sure .

- who makes NEW reproduction FJ60 / 62 manual cranking door cards ?

- only top shelf smack iv seen lately is in @TRAIL TAILOR build thread , he has some new and interesting ideas going on for sure .
FJ60 Door Card - eBay

I do like the items from TT, though. The coil conversion kits I've considered are from TT, but I want to know the benefits of going completely coil versus leaf spring. I know articulation might be better with coils but I'm I gaining any other benefits or am I losing any potential by getting rid of the leaf springs?

Last edited:
These people on the wrong side of the planet have some options for door cards. Looks like you might need to do your own upholstery though.

These people on the wrong side of the planet have some options for door cards. Looks like you might need to do your own upholstery though.

Yep that's the same people I have in the link above...

Concerning #2. The only time to consider running coil overs on your 62 are if you are doing the full conversion to coil springs. Putting coil overs onto a leaf sprung vehicle is pointless. The leaf allows for suspension movement and at the same time self dampens its movement. So you are better off pairing a properly matched shock with a given leaf spring rate. The only time you might benefit from a coil over on a leaf sprung truck is if you have very soft leaf springs that allow for a lot of deflection...or you have a minimal leaves in your spring pack....but even then you are mostly bandaiding things.

I think the coil spring conversion is going to give you a much smoother rides. I have had a friend with an 80 series leave me in the dust (literally) on wash board roads--and it was not because my 2F couldn't keep up. Find someone (friend, local TLC club, used car lot) with an 80 series and go for a ride to see what you are missing.

Based on what you have told us about your planned usage (daily driving and some camping) a spring-over-axle conversion is way over kill, in my opinion. You would go this route if you want tires larger than 33" and/or will do a log of off highway rock crawling.

I would not want to put a tire on the roof. Since you seem to have a sizable budget you should consider a rear bumper with rear swing outs. But, again, based on your usage, your spare should be fine underneath. You don't need super wide tires either...

@22590FJ62 I came here to mention Gamiviti - I just picked up one of their roof racks - but @nakman (the owner of the company) beat me to it. You will NOT regret buying one if you go that route. Check out the website link in his signature.

For door cards you should reach out to Spenser Brisco. spenser@orikawa.net
He’s making aluminum ones and he’s in AZ. He raffled some off at our Solid Axle event earlier this month in CO. Very nice product and can be powder coated to your color of choice. PM me if you’d like his cell #.
Good luck. Jimmy

I have a grey interior. I knew there were FJ62s with manual options. I already have all of the hardware to change the windows but I want new door cards. Don't care if the look OEM or not, as long as they are functional and tough.
Is your current card upholstery salvageable? If it is, you can remove it, cut new cards and glue the upholstery back on.

Did that in my 62, and it turned out very nicely.

1. FJ60 style door cards...I drive an FJ62 but I want to change all four doors to manual. I have already changed one door but it looks ghetto...it works flawlessly though. I found some cool looking door cards on eBay but I'd like to see what y'all think first, instead. Just want a clean look to go with my soon to be LS swap.

2. Suspension options...benefits between swapping to coil-over suspension or just upgrading my current leaf springs with a bigger lift. Links to both options on the thread if possible. If I remain with the leaf springs, should they look stock or should I do the above axle option?

3. Custom or purchased roof rack options. Needed for camping gear (tent, canopy, chairs, luggage, etc. and possible roof relocation of spare tire).

Any thoughts on any of these and/or links to already built threads on these would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of completely rebuilding this ride for daily driving and for weekend getaways. I tried to search for all of these in the FJ60 threads but came up short. I know some of you more experienced riders have a plethora of options in your back pocket...that's why I'm reaching out. Thanks ahead of time.
Sorry for the rapid-fire posts... where the roof-rack is concerned, I'd vote for a "Bowfin" roof-rack made by a fellow Mud member. I don't want to ping him as he's slammed as far as I can gather.

They sell out as soon as he posts them, but if you can snag one, you won't be disappointed. I've got one and love it.

Just my two cents.

I think the coil spring conversion is going to give you a much smoother rides. I have had a friend with an 80 series leave me in the dust (literally) on wash board roads--and it was not because my 2F couldn't keep up. Find someone (friend, local TLC club, used car lot) with an 80 series and go for a ride to see what you are missing.

Based on what you have told us about your planned usage (daily driving and some camping) a spring-over-axle conversion is way over kill, in my opinion. You would go this route if you want tires larger than 33" and/or will do a log of off highway rock crawling.

I would not want to put a tire on the roof. Since you seem to have a sizable budget you should consider a rear bumper with rear swing outs. But, again, based on your usage, your spare should be fine underneath. You don't need super wide tires either...
Just today I looked at some really nice packages with Dobinson and I think I'm going to go that route. A local friend of mine just purchased an FJZ80 and went with the Dobinson...looks amazing.

I have a custom made rear bumper that splits in the middle and has a tire carrier attached to the left. May just keep it there but I would still like a functional roof rack for camping and daily hauling purposes.

On the roof rack topic I have an old basket style heavy duty rack off a range rover. I tried setting on my parts 62 and found the range rover roof is significantly wider at the rails. My plan is to just cut the feet off that are intended for the range rover and mount it to my 60 with 3 or 4 thule cross bars. I think a fresh sand blast and powder coat should have it looking quite nice again. also a handy place to mount LED backup lights and forward face aux lights

Sounds like you need to pull the trigger on the Aussie door cards, those are nice. I converted to manual windows years ago, all OEM plug n play. But it took me forever to find a good set of matching late FJ60 door cards.

80 series axle and coil conversions are about the best thing going these days for a 60 series....what's your wallet's pain tolerance? Spring over axle conversion if you want to crawl big ass rocks, otherwise I would steer clear.

for #1 I'd suggest just making them yourself, its really not that bad. I think I might have a template for the front/back for placement of the hand crank, arm rest, etc.

#2. i really think you should consider buying @TRAIL TAILOR coil conversion kit. Granted you'd have to get some 80 series axles, but the improvement in handling and ride is unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom