200 Series Oil Pan Plug Torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I learned the hard way this weekend that knowing torque number is important.

After changing the oil on my 2017 LC 200, I went for a drive only to return and notice oil dripping.

I had set the torque on the oil plug to 18 ft lbs because that seemed like a reasonable amount.

I then tightened it to 30 ft lbs and it solved the leaking oil problem.

Just a heads up in case any newbie like me attempts it on their LC.

New OE gasket?

The factory gasket is surprisingly tolerant of too-low torque because of the two plastic sealing layers, but you are correct, 30 is the number.

While we're at it, the oil filter housing cap is 18ft-lb, and the filter cap plug is 9ft-lb. Both need to go to spec.. if you are over, it is very easy to break the ears off the housing cap.

After changing the oil on my 2017 LC 200, I went for a drive only to return and notice oil dripping.

I had set the torque on the oil plug to 18 ft lbs because that seemed like a reasonable amount.

You may want to consider replacing it with an ez-valve.

There is also a oil filter cap with a ez-valve from (Jowlette?) Also worth every penny.
It does need a large socket to go with it.

Fisher23: Yup, that's a good investment, I ust got it: the Jowett Performance Oil Filter Cap. It has the EZ Drain valve on it and I'm sure is going to make things easy in the future. I ordered the large socket with it.

2020-04-18 10.32.32.jpg

there is a hose nipple that goes with it .. so you can use a 3/8" fuel hose to direct the oil. He may have it , he didn't when I order mine but he gave the thread size and I got one off amazon.

there is a hose nipple that goes with it .. so you can use a 3/8" fuel hose to direct the oil. He may have it , he didn't when I order mine but he gave the thread size and I got one off amazon.

Thanks for the tip, will do!

13 Nm

Good-n-tight is what I use (with a new gasket).

And what was the needed thread size? Please.

13Nm is about 10ft lbs no??

30 (ft lbs) sounds really high
Yes.

But 30ft-lbf is the correct spec for the factory oil drain plug. It’ll seem to tighten forever because the factory gasket is plastic on both sides, but that is the published number to do it correctly.

Yes.

But 30ft-lbf is the correct spec for the factory oil drain plug. It’ll seem to tighten forever because the factory gasket is plastic on both sides, but that is the published number to do it correctly.

Hmmm a few places like project200 and others say 13Nm…

Just did my oil change and 10ft-lbs did seem pretty light.

Guess I’ll go tighten mine just in case.

Hmmm a few places like project200 and others say 13Nm…

Just did my oil change and 10ft-lbs did seem pretty light.

Guess I’ll go tighten mine just in case.
The factory service manual is where we are getting this number. Same as for many other models of Toyota using the same plug and gasket.

From memory the oil filter drain plug torque is close to 13Nm..

If I can remember I’ll post a screenshot later.

The first of each 3 number group is in Nm, the last is ft-lbf

Screen Shot 2022.jpg

Yes.

Do you know if 30ft-lbf be the same torque for the Fumoto valves for the oil pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom