1uz mated to 4 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have completed this swap in my 1976 fj40 project and I thought I would provide the part numbers I cobbled together and what I did to make it work.

The parts list is as follows:
Engine from 1992 sc400
Oem Lexus bellhousing from junkyard (my engine didn’t have one)
Clutch : 80-83 Jeep cj5 clutch disc from rockauto. This matches the 11 spline input shaft and fits within the confines of the mr2 pressure plate.
Flywheel : this part is key to the rest of the parts working, I started with this and then sourced parts that would work with it. It is from xat racing. XAT OEM Style 1UZ V8 Flywheel
Pressure plate : 2nd gen (92) mr2 turbo rockauto part # 98725
Hydraulic throw out bearing : Summit racing RAM-78136
adapter fitting : RUS-640510
Extension hose : EAR-63010114erl
Adapter plate : my truck previously had an adapter plate for an sbc swap so I modified the one I had.
Thrust bearing : Rock auto Dorman 690047
Engine mounts : I rewelded the perches that were already installed from the sbc swap and used some generic pick style mounts. My drivetrain was already moved back from the sbc conversion and it uses the AA crossmember in the rear.

For the adapter plate, I mounted the sbc plate to the fj40 transmission, installed the thrust bearing, mounted the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel and made sure the was centered, then I stabbed the transmission and marked the Outline of the bellhousing on the adapter plate. After that, took it all apart and mated up the bellhousing to the adapter plate, marked, drilled, tapped holes to mount the bellhousing to the adapter plate, essentially making a customer bellhousing. I also added some material to the top of the adapter plate.

744221A9-F252-4C06-AE47-112D49013A85.jpeg

FF37C39A-6DD5-4F6F-8A63-74DD2F068D86.jpeg

C89400D7-CDCF-4906-A2BF-DAE74960E8EB.jpeg

Thank you for creating this thread and sharing what you have done! It is great to know there is a way to mate the stock 4 speed or H55f to the 1uz with common parts.

The only other option for a UZ to H series seems to be ordering a custom bellhousing from Dellow in Austrailia ($$$).

My truck already had a Saginaw power steering conversion but the frame hole was kind of janky so I used some stuff I had around to clean it up and make a new mount plate for the new steering box.

D75FED72-34E1-4C2D-BDF0-FE867588B8D0.jpeg

BC56A860-ED75-4BC9-AB7D-006A54FF8E2A.jpeg

FBBC11D2-039B-4BC9-8368-05D72F2C298E.jpeg

F4DCAB00-EB24-4B47-88CF-F29B859D1A1F.jpeg

I bought some u joints and steering rod from summit and made a bracket for the pillow block bearing to snake around the engine. Also bought a new borgeson box to tighten up the steering. The way I positioned it allowed me to reinstall the factory bumper gussets so I did that too.

451E3AE2-E03C-40D9-9376-B49171857C9B.jpeg

C530FD59-3550-4E5F-AFA4-D27B39711573.jpeg

563C8243-482E-4B8E-9401-CB7E65798E3A.jpeg

A05FCD89-A2C4-4F7B-99BF-DC6F0E87CEA1.jpeg

Thank you for creating this thread and sharing what you have done! It is great to know there is a way to mate the stock 4 speed or H55f to the 1uz with common parts.

The only other option for a UZ to H series seems to be ordering a custom bellhousing from Dellow in Austrailia ($$$).
I believe the h55 has a different spline count on the input shaft so you would need at least a different clutch disc. If anyone would like to donate an h55f and transfercase I would be more than happy to repeat this process for that setup 😬

I believe the h55 has a different spline count on the input shaft so you would need at least a different clutch disc. If anyone would like to donate an h55f and transfercase I would be more than happy to repeat this process for that setup 😬

your believing is wrong,
H55 from either a gas engine or an H diesel will be the same as the gas 4 speed input shaft
B diesel engine has a different input shaft

The starter mounts under the intake on a 1uz. yo can see the recess in the upper bell housing where it would normally engage the flex plate/flywheel.

The starter mounts under the intake on a 1uz. yo can see the recess in the upper bell housing where it would normally engage the flex plate/flywheel.
Correct. I used the oem starter. I sent the flex plate (which has the teeth) to XAT and they use it on the pressure plate they make.

watching

Nice work!

Based on the bent/modified shifter cane, does this move the trans/xfer forward (closer to the firewall), or is that an artifact from an earlier customization?

Nice work!

Based on the bent/modified shifter cane, does this move the trans/xfer forward (closer to the firewall), or is that an artifact from an earlier customization?
Sorry I never saw this. The transfer case and transmission were moved forward for the Chevy swap And I kept them in the same place. Pure luck that the same position works for the 1uz. I didn’t realize my shifter cane was non-stock but it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom