1999 LX470 Disaster-Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are correct, $825 was the entire job...but it is now a sunk cost...the part was $265, had heater tees also done...so, you are correct...
So I'd return starter, keep Tees and coolant (assuming it was new).

If good exhaust manifolds and wire harnesses come with replacement, well, old stuff has value. So do many of busted engine parts. I go through a ton of parts and try not to waste, or store and new ones.

BTW @Pacer: That "Hoovies" guy needs a TV spot, he's entertaining... LOL

BTW @Pacer: That "Hoovies" guy needs a TV spot, he's entertaining... LOL

YouTube is TV for many these dayz. [/HiJack]

WaHoo, You're on the right track swapping the motor with the one you found.
Check compression beforehand if possible, swap on your new parts and drive on.
If the truck just doesn't "feel right" to you once it's back together, sell it and move on.

Hope this works out well for you, and the mechanic... I've had my share of jobs blow up and "come backs", gotta suck it up and make it right.

@OTRAMM is the MAN, and if it comes down to it, I highly recommend his shop, Ryan gets it done!

Last edited:
Well, here we go...took some more parts over this afternoon. New motor is there, old one should be out soon...

IMG_1237.JPG

So, I picked up the LX today, runs great, no leaks, knocks bumps or shimmies that I can tell. Here is my dilemma, I now have a 1999 LX with 116K on the clock, and a baselined motor. There are a few little items that need attention (VERY slow brake leak somewhere) and it is an LX, so at some point I will have to have the AHC serviced. I have found a '06 LC that has 160K on the clock, and very detailed service records...I prefer the color on the '06, and I also prefer that it is an LC vs LX. As far as options go, they are almost identical. However, I am giving up 44K miles...and I will take a pretty good hit on my LX if I sell it. I think the thing that concerns me is something else going wrong with the LX. I probably drive the truck 6K/year.

Should I keep the '99, or pick up the '06?

Price of the LC? Do you do any offroading? The '06 is going to have ATRAC so it will do better offroad. The mileage is not a big deal if it is well maintained. I imagine the LC is going to cost way more than you can sell the LX for, so this will likely be a personal choice.

Price of the LC? Do you do any offroading? The '06 is going to have ATRAC so it will do better offroad. The mileage is not a big deal if it is well maintained. I imagine the LC is going to cost way more than you can sell the LX for, so this will likely be a personal choice.

The LC is in the $17K range...I WILL NOT get anywhere close to that with the LX. My intention is to at least go look at the LC, drive it...and see what sort of deal we can make.

So, I picked up the LX today, runs great, no leaks, knocks bumps or shimmies that I can tell. Here is my dilemma, I now have a 1999 LX with 116K on the clock, and a baselined motor. There are a few little items that need attention (VERY slow brake leak somewhere) and it is an LX, so at some point I will have to have the AHC serviced. I have found a '06 LC that has 160K on the clock, and very detailed service records...I prefer the color on the '06, and I also prefer that it is an LC vs LX. As far as options go, they are almost identical. However, I am giving up 44K miles...and I will take a pretty good hit on my LX if I sell it. I think the thing that concerns me is something else going wrong with the LX. I probably drive the truck 6K/year.

Should I keep the '99, or pick up the '06?

I vote keep driving the 99.

The LC is in the $17K range...I WILL NOT get anywhere close to that with the LX. My intention is to at least go look at the LC, drive it...and see what sort of deal we can make.
Personally I would keep the LX because I don't have the extra money to spend. The '06 has VVTI which makes more power, but some prefer the simplicity of the other motor. If money was no object I'd be looking at an 06 or 07 LC with perfect service records .

Why would you put all that money into a perfectly good baselined truck, more than you could get out of it, then walk away from it at a big lots just because you like the way an LC looks over an LX? There were some oddities in this post that I noticed before, like the willingness to pay for stuff that wasn't the OP's fault.. but this just strikes me as being irregular.

Why would you put all that money into a perfectly good baselined truck, more than you could get out of it, then walk away from it at a big lots just because you like the way an LC looks over an LX? There were some oddities in this post that I noticed before, like the willingness to pay for stuff that wasn't the OP's fault.. but this just strikes me as being irregular.
^^^As the OP, please let me clear up the "irregularities", first off, the LX was towed to a shop, so not running...after the starter replacement, the rod was thrown, was this the mechanics fault? Probably...

Willingness to pay, not really, but going to battle before the LX was fixed was not the best course of action. Get the vehicle fixed, then let my lawyer take care of recouping the cost of the repair.

As for preferring the look of an LC over the LX...personal choice...I think the one thing that is being missed is the challenges of the AHC on a LX...I am VERY familiar with the hydraulic suspensions and the issues associated with them especially after you open it up.

Yes, there was $$$ put into the LX, but that was also to get it to the point where I could make the decision on whether or not to keep it, or get something else...nothing more.

Bottom line, I was forced into a situation by a mistake, and while I certainly will not be taken advantage of, I will also not question the integrity of someone without concrete evidence, and yes...I do understand the probability of throwing a rod...but I just sought to get this behind me as soon as possible.

06 has ATRAC, 5 spd, VVTI for starters, and I believe has a stronger front diff. But these are not requirements, as you were happy with the 99 when you bought it.

I think it all comes down to the math. Can you live with whatever the upcharge is to move vehicles? If so then do it. I waited till I found my 05 because of the 5spd and ATRAC, those are the two things that I decided were deal breakers for me.

As for your current rig, I suspect it will be a good truck for a really long time. Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into buying the newer truck.

As for your current rig, I suspect it will be a good truck for a really long time. Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into buying the newer truck.
Actually, thinking more about keeping the '99, on the drive home it felt good and familiar...and I know all the quirks. I built a 1967 Ford Bronco when I was station in NV and drove it back across the country when I PCS'd to Virginia...I knew that rig inside and out...there is something to be said for that. And you are correct...either will be a great vehicle...

A true 1999 owner recoils in horror and angst at the thought of ATRAC, 5 speed and VVT. If those sound good to you, you should get the other truck.

Last edited:
Actually, thinking more about keeping the '99, on the drive home it felt good and familiar...and I know all the quirks. I built a 1967 Ford Bronco when I was station in NV and drove it back across the country when I PCS'd to Virginia...I knew that rig inside and out...there is something to be said for that. And you are correct...either will be a great vehicle...

Yeah, Early Broncos are easy to work on.

I have a '70 Model Half Cab (a factory U14) that I've had for 30 years.

I could work on it blindfolded. But I do like my Cruiser better.

I vote for keeping the lx. If you are in a spot where you are considering taking a hit in the wallet for the lc, id opt for keeping the lx and installing a tough dog/uca lift (build to your own taste of course) w/ the money you could save not buying the lc. Just my humble opinion.
Low miles and tastful mods will up the value or the smiles per gallon.

So, I traded in the '99 LX (116K and baselined) on the dealer maintained '06. I got a good trade in for the LX, so the deal was hard to pass up. My LX had a bit of undercarriage rust, a non op sunroof, and a slow leak in the brake system...The '06 has dealer provide maintenance records since the car was bought, and everything was done on schedule. THE only thing I could find that wasn't normal, was the dealer replaced the windshield in May 2018 (under warranty), due to it being chipped and in MD, it won't pass inspection. I am very happy with the "Albino Rhino", and look forward to many miles of enjoyment. Thanks for all the advice and thoughts...I will keep the forum posted on the outcome of recouping the cost of the motor swap. Pics to follow...

The "Albino Rhino"...undercarriage pics tomorrow...too dang hot right now.
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG

Wow, that is mint. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom