Builds 1996 HZJ75 Land Cruiser Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perhaps it anchors this trim.
65385F76-05C8-453A-B982-F911C1A2D302.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the trans out. I’ll pull the clutch and flywheel tomorrow. I am exhausted.

7-AF24-FE2-EEF1-4-E4-D-87-A5-6-DDD24-A274-CB.jpg

DD3-FB472-8-C41-4-F71-8028-0-DD970-C7-FDF6.jpg

Huge thanks to @AlbertoSD for the support!

Make sure it isn’t that gasket and input seal leaking on the H55f. Now would be the easiest time to change that
Good intel. I will check it.

@FJBen - You may be right, the leak might be from the gearbox. I pulled the clutch, flywheel, and backing plate from the engine. The rear main seal is bone dry. It also does not appear to be leaking elsewhere on the back of the engine or at the head.

27-DC793-B-AF97-4-C84-A7-B1-3-C845622-C44-B.jpg

721-B00-F2-3497-49-CE-815-D-0-BA9-F1-BF6642.jpg

What do you guys think? Gearbox leak? Should I pull the clutch fork and inspect?
94034-A46-69-E1-4-B13-BCC9-AB00-F3-C6-C107.jpg

my vote is its old, i dont know if grey gasket maker is factory on that rear main cover, but it looks clean and new, i bet there was a leak previously and it was repaired, but not cleaned out of the bellhousing, or lower bellousing mounts.

still would be worth looking while its apart.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s been gooped so someone was in there.

Personally I would change the rear main and also the input shaft seal on the transmission because they are both really easy at this point.

Pretty sure the factory FIPG is red. You should be able to tell by the smell if it's gear oil or motor oil; I'd guess it's gear oil by the way that rear main seal looks, unless whoever changed it out didn't bother to clean the clutch housing at all.

Unfortunately the oil doesn't really have a smell. I know what gear oil smells like, and it's distinct.

I agree, it looks like someone pulled the rear main seal retainer and replaced the seal. Then smeared gray FIPG off their finger onto the block.
4-F78-D391-4441-4555-83-F1-DA42-DE7-F0314.jpg

But it doesn't make sense that the back of the block is relatively clean and everything else is filthy. Like, they replaced the rear main seal and cleaned the block, but didn't bother to wipe any of the fesh-fesh/oil slurry off the backing plate, bellhousing, or trans? Unless the trans started leaking after the rear main seal service.

Either way, I will do some more investigation on the transmission, and replace the rear main seal and H55F input seal at the same time (at a minimum).

FYI, gray is assembly FIPG, black is for engine oil replacement, red is gear oil contact.
Good info.

So Toyota would have used gray FIPG for the rear oil seal retainer and main bearing cap during original assembly?

Last edited:
Gray, is original assembly line color. I do not know if there is an aftermarket gray product used for pans- The gray I know from Permetex is for water based contact (ala freeze plugs- and that water pipe)

Marlin crawler supplied a Grey permatex for the doubler I bought back in the day, don't remember if it was Grey or ultra Grey, but I do like the ultra sealants they make.

Last edited:
While you're in there and have it all accessible...
Rear main, pilot bearing, clutch throwout bears, and as per @FJBen the H55 input seal and gasket. Regardless of where it's come from... get ALL of these items baselined while it's open.

Flipside of my point... on the Troopy when I had it open I replaced my bone-dry rear main seal and I now have a rear main seal leak. :rofl: Kicking myself for not leaving well-enough alone. That said, baselining everything while in there is the right call. I probably messed up my rear main somehow when installing it.

While you're in there and have it all accessible...
Rear main, pilot bearing, clutch throwout bears, and as per @FJBen the H55 input seal and gasket. Regardless of where it's come from... get ALL of these items baselined while it's open.

Flipside of my point... on the Troopy when I had it open I replaced my bone-dry rear main seal and I now have a rear main seal leak. :rofl: Kicking myself for not leaving well-enough alone. That said, baselining everything while in there is the right call. I probably messed up my rear main somehow when installing it.
Yessir, I agree. I have everything except the H55F input seal and gasket.

But part of me wants to send the whole trans/t-case assembly to @orangefj45 and get him to service/reseal and install 4:1 t-case gears and twin sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom