1993 FZJ80 Cooling System Overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I am putting together a parts-list for my eventual cooling system maintenance/overhaul. I realize there is always some discretion on the best route for maintaining the cooling system, so I'm not really trying to start a debate or argument. Perhaps on some of the parts you might choose an alternate solution, but overall the plan is sound and the system will work. It's also a place to consolidate some of the various threads on the cooling system.

Suggestions and part numbers are welcome!

• Radiator (Toyota OEM or Ron Davis Racing)
  • Water Pump (Toyota OEM PN:16100-69325)
  • LandTank Modified Fan Clutch (80 Series 1FZ-FE Modified OEM Toyota Blue Fan Clutch)
  • Toyota Fan Blade (PN: 16361-66020)
  • Toyota Thermostat (Toyota PN: 90916-03117)
  • Toyota Thermostat O-Ring (Toyota OEM PN: 16346-66020)
  • Toyota Radiator Cap (Toyota OEM PN: 16401-15210)
  • Toyota Upper Hose (Toyota OEM PN: 16571-66030)
  • Toyota Lower Hose (Toyota OEM PN: 16573-66010 and 16572-66021)
  • Retain OEM Toyota Fan Shroud (Toyota OEM PN: 16711-66031)
  • Breeze Clamps
  • Hi-Temp Foam Seal (Suggestions welcome here)
  • Toyota Red Coolant (Toyota OEM PN: ???)
  • Grounding kit (???)
  • Aftermarket water temp gauge
  • OEM Heater Control Valve (Toyota OEM PN: 87240-60140)

Helpful Links:

Thanks for the help!!!

image_1692159562.jpg

image_1708464880.jpg

Edit: Thread is a work in progress. I'll continue to update PNs, links, and pics.

Last edited:
I probably should do this before the summer hits (in Austin too!). Subscribed to see your approach.

You can save money and buy an Aisin water pump on Amazon, by using green coolant purchased on sale almost anywhere, by using regular hoses, silicone weeps H20 and offers no real positive gains.

I went to the parts counter at my dealer and asked for a thermostat. It works.

Use Toyota belts. They are quiet and reasonably priced.

I run the black hub fan clutch on my 93 which is probably what you have. It’s a good clutch and I run 15k cst oil. It’s my understanding that 15k is pretty much max on the black clutch where as some guys are running 30k cst in the blue clutch.

Do you plan to delete the rear heater? This is a good time to do that, replace the heater valve, by-pass the PHH metal tube with one length of Gates hose and install a temp probe, for a real water temp reading, on the top of the water outlet. Many of us have used the Koso digital temp gauge.

Last edited:
You can save money and buy an Aisin water pump on Amazon, by using green coolant purchased on sale almost anywhere, by using regular hoses, silicone weeps H20 and offers no real positive gains.

I went to the parts counter at my dealer and asked for a thermostat. It works.

Use Toyota belts. They are quiet and reasonably priced.

I run the black hub fan clutch on my 93 which is probably what you have. It’s a good clutch and I run 15k cst oil. It’s my understanding that 15k is pretty much max on the black clutch where as some guys are running 30k cst in the blue clutch.

Do you plan to delete the rear heater? This is a good to time to do that, replace the heater valve, by-pass the PHH metal tube with one length of Gates hose and install a temp probe, for a real water temp reading, on the top of the water outlet. Many of us have used the Koso digital temp gauge.

Great feedback. I'll look for the Amazon Aisin water pump, and I'll avoid the silicone kit and just get OEM hoses.

I'm not sure I understand the differences between a "black" fan clutch and a "blue" fan clutch. Do they have different part numbers? How are they different?

I'm not married to any particular coolant. Just several different reliable sources have advised: "Use what the truck came with from the factory. It was designed and tested using that coolant. And the seals, gaskets, and parts are all designed to work with it." Either way, I think the most important aspect is that if you are switching from red to green, or green to red, flush the system thoroughly.

I'll research a rear heater delete and water temp sensor.

Gates makes a use of proper diameter which has a 90 degree bend in it and works well for the rear heater delete mod.

Do yourself a favor and and research until your are nauseous before doing these bigger jobs.

@Will Van is that your Ron Davis Radiator? That thing is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Gates makes a *hose* of proper diameter which has a 90 degree bend in it and works well for the rear heater delete mod.

Do you have a PN or link for the Gates hose?

Reactions: RFB
Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
Use a BSP tap not NPT like I did. You will find the gates 90 by searching “rear heater delete. @GW Nugget may be able to help with that gates p/n.

Use a BSP tap not NPT like I did.

Actually, I'm probably going to use an Autometer water temp gauge/sensor and weld a 1/8" NPT bung directly to the aluminum water outlet pipe. But I need a spare outlet pipe to weld to so I can just swap them out when I do the overhaul. I'm 99.9% sure it's Toyota PN 16304-66020.

Actually, I'm probably going to use an Autometer water temp gauge/sensor and weld a 1/8" NPT bung directly to the aluminum water outlet pipe. But I need a spare outlet pipe to weld to so I can just swap them out when I do the overhaul. I'm 99.9% sure it's Toyota PN 16304-66020.
Welding would be over the top but knock yourself out. You should be able to pick up a used water outlet easy enough.

I just grabbed a 90 degree hose from some other application, rock auto also has water pump for round 70 bucks asian. Second green coolanti use Napa house brand. Don't forget by pass hoses to throttle body 1,2,3. And the orings behind the thermostat were there is a pipe u pull out it is another bypass I believe . Oem radatior also comes with the foam. And heater valve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom