Builds 1992 LJ78 build/refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work as always! Glad to hear of the huge drop in EGT's. That is what I experienced too.

The intercooler was the best thing I had done to my Prado. It turned into a whole new vehicle.

Great build thread! And very helpful. Im planning to do the 60 mm dobinsons and am a bit freaked out at the castor correction part. Thanks for posting!

Lee

Finally getting to the timing belt, all hoses , and belts.
The 2 hoses to the heater valve and the firewall are discontinued, so I will be using heater hose there instead of the formed hoses. That was :
Hose, Heater Water, Outlet A, Toyota
87245-60140
Hose, Heater Water, Inlet A, Toyota
87245-60150
I also couldn't find the hoses on the cross pipe to the heater lines. Everywhere I found it, it was part of the entire assembly.
87209-60170
Hose Sub-assy, Water
I am going to raid Napa and find something that is formed close for them. No way am I paying 217.00 for a couple of hoses.

Whomever did the timing belt last didn't get the gasket on the timing chest lined up right at the bottom, so it rubbed the harmonic balancer some. Didn't rub through, so I should be ok on that. No cracking in the rubber on the the pulley fortunately. It all looks good.

The water pump bolts had some pretty serious erosion. I am going to chase the holes and get some new bolts.
I am getting into areas I haven't cleaned yet, so I took a bit more apart that needed to get the 25 years of grease off of everything.
I will finish up tomorrow , I just disassembled for a bit tonight.
Valve cover gasket is leaking some, so I have a new one to go on.

Tuning on the intercooler is going well. I have the fuel up 7/8 of a turn. That's about the max before it starts to hang dropping back to idle.
I have the boost at 17PSI currently, I am working on getting my fuel cut off dialed in so it gives me max fuel but doesn't hit the overboost and cut the fuel.

2018-07-27 19.19.16.jpg

2018-07-27 20.06.02.jpg

2018-07-27 21.07.49.jpg

2018-07-27 21.07.59.jpg

2018-07-27 21.08.06.jpg

Will do Jim.
Yeah, the bolts made me nervous coming out. I could tell they weren't great. They did not really break loose as much as get a little looser. Just didn't feel right at all. I was waiting for one of them to snap and make an easy weekend turn into a nightmare getting a broken bolt out of an engine.

I always enjoy the updates to your project; thanks again. Your engine will thank-you for all that work you're doing.

Glad the tuning is coming along too. How would you say the power you're at now compares to when you first bought the truck?

Power is night and day different. It's very obvious. Turbo spools up faster. Truck is struggling less to move itself.
Timing belt is done. All went fine. I think I got my alternator too wet however cleaning the grease off. It's overcharging now. Hitting 17V. I am going to let it dry out and see what it does. Odd thing it does is when I accelerate and the voltage goes up ,it pops the Timing Belt light on. I was under the impression that was purely mileage driven. Though,I suppose the added voltage could could bleed over and make it light up from somewhere.

Few pictures.
I installed my larger fan as well. Seems the info is correct. That part number we have gets you an 18.5" fan. I cut it down and shaped the blades so I didn't have to modify my shroud. It's 17.5" now. It moves a mountain more air. I noticed it because i can't hardly pour coolant while the engine is running now. It blows it all over. I have done that without a thought quite a few times with the old fan.

I opted to not replace my crank seal as it was bone dry. No seeping at all. Figured why open a can of worms if I don't need to.
Replaced the tensioner, idler pulley ,and water pump.

I also did all belts and hoses. I am waiting for a couple of hoses from Napa to see if they will work on the cross pipe. I took those goofy factory clamps off while I had it out and put hose clamps on. So, swapping should be easy if the hoses I ordered work.

Only 2 issues. One was the gasket pushing the timing chest out to contact the harmonic balancer. I was able to fix that.
Other was, someone had apparently grabbed the heater outlet at the firewall with pliers or something taking a hose off in the past. It was completely oval. I shaped it back as good as possible. It took 2 tries t stop that one from leaking. I was finally able to get the clamp almost touching the firewall and get it to seal. Naturally that would be one of the 2 hardest hose to actually get to. The other one being the heater inlet at the firewall.

2018-07-28 12.01.51.jpg

2018-07-28 12.20.18.jpg

2018-07-28 12.36.56.jpg

2018-07-28 14.37.02.jpg

2018-07-28 17.20.27.jpg

Nice work. Strange that part number got you an 18.5" fan. The one I have is identical to my friend's 1990 HDJ81 stock fan (I measured). So that is the part number I posted. I wonder if the 18.5" is the new equivalent part or something. Maybe Toyota felt they needed to upgrade the fan? Strange.

I thought it was odd as well Nick. I knew yours with that part number was 17.5"
And then someone commented the other day that number was to a 18.5" fan, but when I asked where that info came from I never saw a response. Worked out fine, just had to do a little modification. I am super happy with the air coming out of there now. It's a huge difference.

Small update.
I had bought a stainless 1/2 rack from a forum member a while back. It is an exceptionally well made rack, but I didn't like how the feet worked on it, and didn't like the shiny stainless. So, I cut the feet off, sanded and acid etched it and painted. I bought the Frontrunner feet that they use on the 70 Series racks they make, made 2 - 1/4" X 1.5" bars to span across as the rack was about 1.5" narrow for the feet to work perfectly. Then attached rack to that and the innermost hole of the Frontrunner feet. Came out exceptionally stout for a gutter mounted rack and saved me making an entire rack this winter. Which was my initial plan, but ran across the basket for really cheap.

On the intercooler front, I have that all dialed in and am really happy with the results. I am running about 17PSI boost and have the fuel turned up just over 5/8 of a turn. My cruising temps on the freeway are between 750F and 950F. My small radiator with the scoop under the grill works really well. If I exit the freeway ,by the time I get to the light or stop sign I am seeing 300F or less. It's turning out to be extremely efficient.

This in conjunction with my cooling system mods and tweaks is keeping my freeway temps in the 192F range with a slight rise on grades. Like the intercooler, when I exit ,it drops really quickly to below 190F.

On a side note, my slightly smoky starts are back and a little stumble for a few seconds. I haven't looked into that yet as it just started again. I am suspecting something with the Superglow system. But, it's minor and I just need to spend a few minutes looking into it. I went through that entire system when I got the truck and also replaced the glow plugs, So ,either something has gotten dirty/corroded or it's not staying on for the second stage. I think the first stage is working because the truck is hard to start when it's not working. And, it's cranking up plenty fast, just not settling into a nice idle with no smoke.

2018-09-10 18.26.51.jpg

2018-09-10 18.27.02.jpg

2018-09-10 18.27.12.jpg

2018-09-07 13.15.59.jpg

Nice work on the roof rack! Truck looks awesome and sounds like it's running great too. I spy a fridge in the back? Planning any expedition type trips?

That is my old fridge. I ran power to it the other day and left it in there to run overnight on a hot day to see how it did. I have dual batteries on the Rover and an automatic isolator. So, felt it was prudent to see if it ran the battery down on the LC with just one battery. I ran it for about 16 hours without any noticeable trouble starting the truck. Battery never got below 12V. I am running an Odyssey PC1500. It's an awesome battery, but I wasn't sure it would hold out as long as my huge Odysseys in the Rover. But, I was worried for nothing.
No big trips planned in the short term. I would like to get one more camping trip in this year if I can find a free weekend with good weather.
As I have gotten the Landcruiser in shape, I have been considering selling the Defender. I really haven't used it this year. The trip down to Seattle for the ABFM was it's longest trip this year. And, it was probably last November before that it had taken any longer trips.

Seems a shame to just leave it sitting all the time.

As I have gotten the Landcruiser in shape, I have been considering selling the Defender.

Seems a shame to just leave it sitting all the time.

You will be considered a heretic among the Land Rover community!!

Good news on the fridge battery life! That is pretty impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom