1990 HZJ77 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg

My catch can thingy was not performing efficiently so a little breather thingy was added to help out. :)

Anyone have a part number for the center section (cap) on this style of steering wheel and perhaps a source for a new unit or one in good used condition?
Thanks

Hello Charles,

Cap part number is 45130-60220-E0 for oak. 45130-60220-B0 is for gray.

You can also get them from eBay Australia. Some sellers are willing to ship to the US for around US$ 110.00; careful item search is needed to find them. However, I have only seen the whole assembly (steering wheel and cap) for sale.

Juan

P. S.: This item is on my to-do list, but for the time being money is a bit tight...

Anyone running solar panels on their roof racks and what are you powering with them?
Thanks

Last edited:
I'm tempted into thinking that, while expo-cool, rack mounted panels are sub optimal. The angle those things are at matters hugely to their efficiency, and it's nice to be able to potentially park in the shade and put your panel out in the sun on wires, aimed directly at the sun, and move them through the day.

On my HDJ81 I have a 100W mono panel through a Morningstar MPPT charge controller feeding 2 dual purpose RV type batteries.
The system will keep up to an ARB fridge indefinitely, which is exactly what I wanted. It rains about, oh, 97% of the time where I live, and even in those sub optimal conditions it still does the job.

The convenience of roof mounting outweighed the maximum power potential of a separate panel. I didn't want to give up space in the truck to pack it, and have the PITA of setting it up every time I stopped. I like that it's always up there keeping the batteries topped up when the truck is parked at home too, as it's not a DD. And as a bonus, apparently I'm expo-cool :D

I like the set-up so much I have acquired 2 50W mono panels and a Victron MPPT charge controller to put on my 24V BJ74.

On my HDJ81 I have a 100W mono panel through a Morningstar MPPT charge controller feeding 2 dual purpose RV type batteries.
The system will keep up to an ARB fridge indefinitely, which is exactly what I wanted. It rains about, oh, 97% of the time where I live, and even in those sub optimal conditions it still does the job.

The convenience of roof mounting outweighed the maximum power potential of a separate panel. I didn't want to give up space in the truck to pack it, and have the PITA of setting it up every time I stopped. I like that it's always up there keeping the batteries topped up when the truck is parked at home too, as it's not a DD. And as a bonus, apparently I'm expo-cool :D

I like the set-up so much I have acquired 2 50W mono panels and a Victron MPPT charge controller to put on my 24V BJ74.
Photos of your setup? :)

Curious: What's going on here? What are you catching in this catch can?
Sorry, I just noticed your enquiry. It separates the oil vapor from the air coming out of the engine breather.

Photos of your setup? :)

It's really basic. Panel bolted to a couple Yakima cross bars:
29844531410_bc13809fd6_z.jpg

Marine wire into the truck feeds the CC:
29511245293_a57a415b3d_z.jpg

And more marine wire along the rocker channels through the firewall to the batteries.
I still need to rig up a wind deflector of some sort, it does make a bit of noise... though the 81 is a lot quieter than the 74 so it's not a huge deal.

37943592624_792e7c4603_c.jpg

29844531410_bc13809fd6_z.jpg

And more marine wire along the rocker channels through the firewall to the batteries.
I still need to rig up a wind deflector of some sort, it does make a bit of noise... though the 81 is a lot quieter than the 74 so it's not a huge deal.

37943592624_792e7c4603_c.jpg
Thanks .....

Not exactly. If you ever make it out to southern Utah I'll take you to it. :)

Sorry to thread jack but in this picture you have 2 each, 2-wire cables coming into your bus bar. I guess one comes from the panel? How would you run this for 24 volt? (Your 80 may be 24 volt, I'm not sure.) Thanks

Sorry to thread jack but in this picture you have 2 each, 2-wire cables coming into your bus bar. I guess one comes from the panel? How would you run this for 24 volt? (Your 80 may be 24 volt, I'm not sure.) Thanks

That's the charge controller. The 2 bottom 2 wires are the input from the panel, the top pair are the charging output to the batteries.

The HDJ81 is 12V (with the exception of momentary 24V for starting). For the 74, I have a pair of 12V 50W panels that I'll run in series for 24V, through the Victron charge controller which works for 12V or 24V, to my 24V battery array. Easy peasy.

image.jpeg

Requested photo ..... One of Rob's Garrett turbos while it was still clean and shiny. This particular one is on my 77 Series.

With temps. in the mid 20's I discovered my glow plugs were no longer up to the task. Thanks to @cruiseroutfit that situation will be soon remedied. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom