1990 HZJ77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg

In the hot, humid, mosquito infested South, this has all the makings of a blizzard. :)

24 degrees (F) this morning and she fired up instantly ...... Thanks Kurt (@cruiseroutfit )

View attachment 1546045
Back to the drawing board on 24V headlight resistors. :)

I did the same thing - overheating resistor for the 24V LED lamps for my 1993 HZJ77. I went to this 500 W resistor - no more problems whatsoever: Gold Tone 50 Ohm 500W Resistance 5% Aluminum Shell Wire Wound Resistor (https://www.amazon.com/a13091300ux1141-Resistance-Aluminum-Wirewound-Resistor/dp/B00XOXVKLI ). This one is from Amazon - I think I used eBay for mine. Been in place 2 years now with no issues.

I had an interesting conversation with BF Goodrich today concerning tire warranty on my 77 Series. As it turns out I have not 1, not 2 but 3 BFG 33x10.50x15 KO2's that are so far out of round that they can no longer be balanced. The tires have 5,000-6,000 miles on them. After a lengthy conversation with the BFG rep., I now have my marching orders. I have to take the tires to a designated dealer who will in turn determine if they are eligible for prorated warranty compensation. If they are deemed eligible I "get a credit" to purchase their products at some point in the future. So in other words I can purchase the same product that sucked in the first place. :)

I had an interesting conversation with BF Goodrich today concerning tire warranty on my 77 Series. As it turns out I have not 1, not 2 but 3 BFG 33x10.50x15 KO2's that are so far out of round that they can no longer be balanced. The tires have 5,000-6,000 miles on them. After a lengthy conversation with the BFG rep., I now have my marching orders. I have to take the tires to a designated dealer who will in turn determine if they are eligible for prorated warranty compensation. If they are deemed eligible I "get a credit" to purchase their products at some point in the future. So in other words I can purchase the same product that sucked in the first place. :)

Are you having vibration issues? If so, then the problem could be the uniformity of the assembly. "Ride matching" the assembly which is bringing the low point of the wheel to the high point of the tire can usually solve that problem and typically should be done even on brand new tires. This will usually bring you to the lowest possible uniformity possible for that assembly.

If the ride match feature can not solve the issue, then you can perform the runout feature to see if the issue is the tire or the wheel. If it is the tire while you are shopping for new tires, you can demand a different tire until you are satisfied.

All of this assuming your tech is using the Hunter 9700 which are now old school machines but they are my personal favorite for measuring uniformity and balancing while I am collecting data.

I was fortunate enough to have another complete set of rims and tires at my disposal. Once installed on my Cruiser, the ride was near perfect. The veteran tire guy said my stock rims are not the issue with leaves the poor quality KO2's.
I do however appreciate your information.

No problem.

I don't usually like to dish out tire and wheel advice but I thought I would pitch in this time and help out. :) Usually it gets me in trouble with the armchair forum quarterbacks so I just keep my fingers off the keyboard.

I work for a tier one supplier (Quality) dealing with tire and wheel assembly for the Toyota plant here in San Antonio but then it is a completely different animal working with new OEM parts compared to the replacement market. Going to Discount Tire (A placed I used to work at back in college) makes me cringe now...

Used to run BFG and stopped many years ago. Currently my 77 rides on 255/85/16 Toyo MT. Love them. They remain civil on the roads, are excellent off road, tough, and can be aired down more than low enough for my needs.

Only gripe is price and weight but aluminum rims can help with that unsprung weight.

You won't regret your decision Charles.

I guess I owe the folks at Michelin an apology. The BFG's were inspected today at a Michelin / BF Goodrich warranty center and to my surprise they offered 100% replacement coverage. The only catch is that I will need to purchase something under the Michelin umbrella to get the full refund which I guess isn't out of line. I'll soon have 5 new tires for future use. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom