1988 FJ62 LED Interior Bulb Swap Chart (2020 Edition) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check the relay for the heater. Was working on the rear heater on my FJ62 yesterday. Relay would click but still wasn't getting anything through it.
Here's the wiring diagram for it. https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/88lc-wire/88lc-wd3.gif

I figured out the problem. When I pulled the instrument cluster forward the wiring harness came apart so that is an easy fix! I also found the “switch lighting” bulb in the white plastic insert.

560DFF36-1863-44A5-A80D-9D4318444C44.jpeg

I ordered a handful more and tried them again. Second one worked this time 😂

Nice to have an easily visible A/C indicator.

Also swapped out my reverse light bulbs. That was a considerable upgrade. I want to polish up the reverse light area of my housings now to improve the light distribution from them. Cleaning the lenses helped a bit too.

@SirBeef did you install the HVAC control light facing the rear of the assembly (ie facing towards the front of the truck) with reflective tape over the white plastic? Curious to see how well you managed to solve the light dispersion issues in that thing.

Really wish I could find a way to make that appear red too, since all my gauge lighting is red. Plus it looks like the 3022 listed on the chart is already discontinued, with the only current options coming in shades of white.
@Spook50 Re: climate control lighting... I've got some red lighting gel leftover from when I did mine. I started to try scraping the green out, but found that with a red bulb and the gel, it comes through pretty red with the green still in there (I switched to red interior lighting as well). I am happy to drop an envelope in the mail if you want some to give it a try. I also took my clock apart and added a layer there as well.

IMG_3862.jpeg

IMG_8307.jpeg

IMG_8302.jpeg

This is amazing!!! I have a new OEM dash pad I’m getting ready to (attempt) to install and I figured new bulbs would be in order!!!

Any tips on removing stuff to get to bulbs?

thx
BK

Hey friends.

I just finished upgrading all of my old dash bulbs, as well as cargo and dome lights, with new LEDs from SuperBrightLeds. I was using a list from an old thread on here, but most bulbs on the list were no longer in production. So...I made a new list with links, prices, colors, quantities, etc. and thought I would share with everyone. Click Here for the Chart

View attachment 2255308 (Preview of what my chart looks like)

I ordered everything off this list and had no issues, but be aware of the notes I added to the chart. You may be required to do a little electrical surgery on the Rear Defroster LED and the H4 LED. It's easy though. Also, I'm not a big fan of the green lighting (as I think it looks old) so I went with Natural White or Warm White for all the green bulbs except 4WD and Turn Signals. Up to you though!💡

I hope this helps everyone. Let me know how it goes. I'll post pictures of mine soon on here and my FJ62 instagram.
What does switch lighting specifically refer to as I have an extra hp5 green?

Super Bright LEDs seems to be out of the Green Light for the HVAC Lights(Heater). Has anyone used any of the other color lights listed under the below listing? Just want to confirm fit before placing the order.

DE3175 LED Light Bulb - (4) 3mm LED Festoon Bulb - 3022 Base - 30mm

I used the 3022-NW4 which is basically the same thing but less blue. Seems to work great.

Anyone else have an issue where the LED turn signal indicators now stay on the whole time the turn signal switch is engaged, but they get brighter when the lights actually flash? I’m not sure if that’s handy (will see the turn signal is on even between flashes) or annoying.

I used the 3022-NW4 which is basically the same thing but less blue. Seems to work great.

Anyone else have an issue where the LED turn signal indicators now stay on the whole time the turn signal switch is engaged, but they get brighter when the lights actually flash? I’m not sure if that’s handy (will see the turn signal is on even between flashes) or annoying.
could it be a polarity issue?

The turn signal flasher doesn’t work properly with LED bulbs. Just leave the turn signal lights as incandescent bulbs. No reason for them to be switched to LED

Putting an order together to upgrade mine. Just a few notes and questions.

1. The Seatbelt light 74-R red is discontinued. Site is suggesting the 74-RHP3 in place of it which just looks like a 3 led version with slightly diff connector/base. Similar are being used elsewhere so assume will work fine?​
2. The Heater light 3022-G4 green is discontinued. Only options seem to be Cool 6000k or Natural 4500k now. Going with Natural and will add gel if color is needed. Is this what others have done?​
3. The A/C light NEO5-BHP is on backorder till 12/10/2021. Hopefully it comes through as there does not seem to be a replacement. Anyone know of a suitable replacement if backorder becomes discontinued?​

For anyone curious, the interior bulbs on the "Updated" tab and the exterior on the "Personal" tab comes to $98.67 before tax/shipping/coupon (currently there is a 10% coupon). This does NOT include the Reverse Lights as those direct to another store. Is this just due to a stronger light output than what can be found on SuperBrightLEDs?

Also anyone find the LED upgrade not worth it for any of the applications?

EDIT:
Can't find a way to add to cart on PFran LEDs so guessing supply-chain may have impacted them? Any alternative reverse lights? Looked like these are 7w and not seeing any other 1156 base with that much output.

Last edited:
Has anyone went through this list for a FJ60? Putting together an order and as far as I can tell, the only differences vs a FJ62 list are:
  • No:
    • Check Engine light
    • Battery light
    • H4 light
    • Shifter light
    • Shifter AT light
  • Additional:
    • Choke light (same as 4WD light but orange?)
Additionally if anyone has tried the exterior lights with a FJ60 and has feedback, that would be appreciated before I pull some triggers on shopping carts.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 21.14.11.png

Last edited:
Putting an order together to upgrade mine. Just a few notes and questions.

1. The Seatbelt light 74-R red is discontinued. Site is suggesting the 74-RHP3 in place of it which just looks like a 3 led version with slightly diff connector/base. Similar are being used elsewhere so assume will work fine?​
2. The Heater light 3022-G4 green is discontinued. Only options seem to be Cool 6000k or Natural 4500k now. Going with Natural and will add gel if color is needed. Is this what others have done?​
3. The A/C light NEO5-BHP is on backorder till 12/10/2021. Hopefully it comes through as there does not seem to be a replacement. Anyone know of a suitable replacement if backorder becomes discontinued?​

For anyone curious, the interior bulbs on the "Updated" tab and the exterior on the "Personal" tab comes to $98.67 before tax/shipping/coupon (currently there is a 10% coupon). This does NOT include the Reverse Lights as those direct to another store. Is this just due to a stronger light output than what can be found on SuperBrightLEDs?

Also anyone find the LED upgrade not worth it for any of the applications?

EDIT:
Can't find a way to add to cart on PFran LEDs so guessing supply-chain may have impacted them? Any alternative reverse lights? Looked like these are 7w and not seeing any other 1156 base with that much output.
Running into similar issues for the FJ60 I'm working on. Here's what I'll try, I'm thinking right now:

1. I think that 74-RHP would be a better fit, since it only has one LED. I would be worried that, since 74-RHP3 has three LEDs that create a wider beam, there might be bleed from the seatbelt light over to other parts of the cluster (for FJ60).

2. I'm not sure what the heater lights are, but if it is a standard DE3175 bulb, then I think 302-WWHP4-V2 would be an appropriate substitution (same as the dome light I guess). It looks like the same bulb, but with surface-mount LEDs soldered to a circuit board instead of the axial LEDs. The other problem is that it would be 3100k, not 3300k... so closer to 3400k that the original order sheet calls for, but still not it. I see that @Advent used the 4500k LEDs, maybe they have an opinion on how close the color temperature of those ones, feels.

EDIT:
I am going to try the SuperBrightLEDs 1156-NWHP28-T-2PK. From Googling around, it looks like those PFran parts are similar to these I see on eBay and elsewhere (1156 Super White Cree Q5 LED Bulbs 12 SMD 5050 7W Backup Reverse Light | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/281099686840?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337958164&toolid=10001&customid=PRODUCT-Led+Cree+1156) which are >500 lumens, 1156 base. That SuperBrightLEDs part number seems pretty similar. Now I just need rear lens covers that aren't cracked and let moisture in 😓

I am going to try the SuperBrightLEDs 1156-NWHP28-T-2PK. From Googling around, it looks like those PFran parts are similar to these I see on eBay and elsewhere (1156 Super White Cree Q5 LED Bulbs 12 SMD 5050 7W Backup Reverse Light | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/281099686840?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337958164&toolid=10001&customid=PRODUCT-Led+Cree+1156) which are >500 lumens, 1156 base. That SuperBrightLEDs part number seems pretty similar. Now I just need rear lens covers that aren't cracked and let moisture in 😓

I had found those same eBay ones and purchased. Will report back once they arrive and I can install. I think any 1156 base will work as long as it is not too long. I have not taken off the lens covers to see how much clearance there is so I tried to find some close to an original bulb size.

Running into similar issues for the FJ60 I'm working on. Here's what I'll try, I'm thinking right now:

1. I think that 74-RHP would be a better fit, since it only has one LED. I would be worried that, since 74-RHP3 has three LEDs that create a wider beam, there might be bleed from the seatbelt light over to other parts of the cluster (for FJ60).

2. I'm not sure what the heater lights are, but if it is a standard DE3175 bulb, then I think 302-WWHP4-V2 would be an appropriate substitution (same as the dome light I guess). It looks like the same bulb, but with surface-mount LEDs soldered to a circuit board instead of the axial LEDs. The other problem is that it would be 3100k, not 3300k... so closer to 3400k that the original order sheet calls for, but still not it. I see that @Advent used the 4500k LEDs, maybe they have an opinion on how close the color temperature of those ones, feels.

I'll plan to give the RHP3 a try since I couldn't find a single led option. If it doesn't work well will search more for the original part. You happen to find a replacement?

Heater Light just goes behind the heat/ac controls I believe so the slider for fan and temp, etc. That whole large panel. Since only issue was bulb color I will just do something like this but with green if needed:

I did find something fun while I was testing out my Cargo Lights. My main Cabin light is dead so hoping it is just a bulb issue. The Rear Cargo light works with on/off but when you turn to door and open the back glass the blower motor and rear defrost light in dash turn on. Guessing there is a short somewhere.

In case anyone has done a headlight upgrade, such as the JW Speaker upgrade in other posts, the LED indicator bulb is not dimmed noticeably by a 20-50 ohm resistor. I ended up using a substitute box and swapped out the resistor for a 1/2 watt, 2k ohm. I measured the inrush current through the circuit at 39mA so a regular electronics resistor should work fine.
Apologies for not replying earlier but I’m happy with my bulb color choice. As above, my only issue now is the turn signal indicators. I swapped those back to incandescent for simplicity but may experiment with resistors at some point in the future.

Is there a low fuel warning light?

Is there a low fuel warning light?
Not in any 60 series. I think if you upgrade to Speedhut or Autometer gauges you can get a fuel gauge that's got a warning light and calibrate it however you see fit, but that's the only way. Or if you wanted to get tricky you could put a small LED in the gauge panel near the fuel gauge that's triggered by the resistance the sender would be at when there's only 3-4 gallons in the tank. Wouldn't be too difficult really.

Honestly that's a good idea and I'd do that for myself but I'm already paranoid and NEVER let my tank go below a quarter (half in winter contidtions) full.

It also just occurred to me that I still have some film that @Dubs2017 sent me but can't for the life of me at this point find a good LED to put behind the HVAC controls....

Update on the high beam indicator: if I were doing it again I would use a 2500 ohm resistor. It’s still just a little bit brighter than I’d like, but tolerable, so I’m not going to mess with it. The cheap electronics resistor I used is working great; I covered the whole thing with heat shrink tubing to make it water tight.

I’d like to also toss out a recommendation for the Odd Iron Offroad dome light upgrades. They are a lot brighter than any straight bulb replacement I’ve seen.

Feels good taking all this load off the old wiring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom