Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The headlight photos?
yeah so I know it adjusts the lights a little different I should have disclaim’d that.
but I would say it looks fairly accurate to me.
Those photos demostrate just how bad I need to upgrade my phone. :)

I'm biased since the subject matter is a Toyota Land Cruiser but the photography in this thread is WAY above average. Mine often look like a blurry shot of Bigfoot.

Belt time, found these on Rock auto, wholesale closeout.

$4 and $9.

IMG_7431.jpg

Before and after, no more squeak. Now I have spares.

And now for something completely different.

Troopy owners can be jealous of 73/74's ability to take the top off.
73/74 owners can be jealous of the pop/top troopy's

How do we solve this? I don't know, but we have ideas. I looked at all sorts of options for a "modular" top ala the Jeep setup. My pop out window idea I will still do as it's 100% reversible and gives me almost a safari top and time to fix the windows as rust is starting a little in there.
3 years ago we stayed at our friends in Long Beach, CA and borrowed their TDI Converted Eurovan Pop-top. Loved it, almost bought it, but here I am with the BJ74 he imported. Fast forward, I still miss that VW, and love troopy's with pop-tops....BUT I love driving the BJ74 without the top...hmmm

I don't want to hack my current roof up, not sure if I could find another. Rooftop tents are cool, but will need an exo IMO to not bust out the roof. The search for a roof to modify was on. On another site I was able to find a high-roof HZJ3 top in OK shape for an amazing deal, and its only 3 hours away. SCORE! Going to pick it up in a few weeks when our schedules line up.

The wheels are spinning now. At first glance these hi-tops are ugly.

30F71CBF-AAD4-4BA9-83B5-AF4872573846.jpeg

No windows, odd proportions, full rain-gutter. :confused:

Well, lets mock this up in photoshop and slap it on my BJ74, paint it a different color for now. (my photoshop skills aren't great anymore)

black hitop1.jpg

Doesn't look terribly awful, could be worse I suppose. So lets get to where I'm going, pop-top.

First up, the straight up:

black hitop2.jpg

Do you prefer wedge?

black hitop3.jpg

How about a rear section with slideout

black hitop4.png

The length of the usable space of the FRP is ~78" ish. It's 43" wide.

The Euro Hi-top appears to be 6"ish inches taller by my guesstimate.

Using my top I found this measurment:

interior roof.jpeg

This pictures also gives a big clue on these tops. The inside is identical to a normal FRP top in the back, it appears they just put a CAP over the top.
I know the LAND CRUISER lettering is around 4" on the outside.

51C156CC-983E-4600-87A8-7A88BD90CF9F.jpeg

Here's where things look different unless I'm seeing things wrong. The part that bolts to roll-bar in the middle appears "taller" but I can't tell by how much. On my top I can only get about an 1" between the FRP and that roll bar, judging from the bolt holes it looks like more, but it's hard to tell exactly how much.

A53FCF8A-25D7-417F-A37F-53B3D520DFEC (1).jpeg

This piece may dictate the whole project.

I have seen that one. It's pretty awesome looking. I have no idea if I can make mine look any where as near as nice as that 74.

Splitting hairs here, that is a 73. Left-hand drive and 5-lug wheels. :)

After looking a pictures of the regular top and the Euro top, I'm almost positive it just has a full cap over it.

Compare the 2 insides I found. That front inside roof and roll bar mount look the same height.

Regular top

IMG_1511.JPG

Euro top

A53FCF8A-25D7-417F-A37F-53B3D520DFEC (1).jpeg

If that is the case, then I *should* be able to pop the whole top skin so to say rather than cut into the top where it dual walled.
I know it's taller above the front as well so there must be an attic up there of unused space.

Clamping the rear down will be easy, the front part looks like it will take some creativity cutting the front out to reach clamps, or lift mechanism depending on style.

That one very well could be a 73.
Not trying to argue but I found a few LHD HZJ74's for sale in Europe. 5 lug wheels, coils, LHD. What would the difference between HZJ73 and HZJ74 be then?
Curious as I don't know the difference.

Used TOYOTA HZJ 74 for sale | Second Hand Car ads Reezocar

https://www.autolina.ch/auto/x/2786433

A 2000 HZJ74 according to them.

View attachment 2299881

View attachment 2299882

Absolutely correct. HZJ74 in (apparently) Europe-only circa 1999-2001.

I was blending vehicles in my head as I have a BJ74 which up to that point was RHD-only. The pop-top above looks middle-eastern to me. If so, it would be a 73.

The minutiae of 7x variants is crazy.

Absolutely correct. HZJ74 in (apparently) Europe-only circa 1999-2001.

I was blending vehicles in my head as I have a BJ74 which up to that point was RHD-only. The pop-top above looks middle-eastern to me. If so, it would be a 73.

The minutiae of 7x variants is crazy.

yeah the 70 series are crazy in variants.
that makes sense for Europe LHD and a 74.
Pretty sure there I’ve seen FZJ74s as well.

i tried to find VINs but didn’t have much luck although I didn’t look long.
Still trying to figure my VIN out.

Finally got a chance to test the lights at night and do a rough first aiming.

Initial thoughts, just excellent, completely night and day (haha) difference. The low beams are brighter than my old highs were.

Low Beams:

View attachment 2281803

Brights:

View attachment 2281804

Brights and my off-road lights:

View attachment 2281805

I'm not 100% sure, other than brand Narva, what type of lights the off-roads are. I believe they are just a driving light, although it's possible they are long range as they do reach out quite a bit. I have them pointed slightly outwards from straight ahead.

Looks great! Can't wait to get these in the 40!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom