Builds 1987 FJ60 Restoration + 5.3 Vortec Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made a little more progress today. Got heater hoses pretty much done apart from some missing hose clamps.
2B8BC8FD-E74E-45DC-9B09-A71BD2391EC4.jpeg

After taking this pic I put in an H right after the water pump seeing as the heater controls actually interrupt the flow of coolant. I did all of this with 5/8” hose and some brass Ts from the hardware store.
Next I hooked up the power steering without a cooler - I’ve never had a problem running no cooler in the past, even on drift cars. Don’t know why that freaks people out as much as it does.
7EA98703-FBC7-45E4-94FB-574DCBD86EE6.jpeg

the original PS hoses actually fit with the LS - this was not the case on the cressida I did - I swear I spent $60 in hoses and fittings to make it work.
Also here is a photo of the throttle cable adapter thing I was talking about in the previous post:
B34CC612-A3B8-42D3-AE60-61B0871771DD.jpeg

the next thing on the list that’s gonna be a pain in the ass is the intake runner and the exhaust. I laid under there for a long time today and didn’t come up with a solution for the exhaust. Anyone who’s done this before have any tips? Everything I’ve thought of is in the way of the front driveshaft. The only solution I’ve come up with that would work is side pipes.:rofl:

Had some people ask, so this is a good time to post the coolant flow diagram for an LS engine in stock configuration with hose sizes

A44F348A-2C3D-4398-915F-665AE83B4384.png

What’s up folks. Made some more progress this weekend. Got the hard part of the exhaust done. Need to buy smaller filler rods and tungsten so I can finish welding it up - had to use a wire welder for some of it and it ain’t pretty.
0A6216FF-7ED5-444A-986C-833AF9141935.jpeg

I also got a washer fluid reservoir (stupid cheap on amazon; with the pump). Wired it up and she’s good as new!
A5B5F78E-EBD8-4BF1-B41F-84D9C0568747.jpeg

Also installed the hood, still needs the rubber bumpers along the fender and rad support.
285BD531-CB01-4DA6-B75B-BEA9F20918E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!

I could never get that AC hose off, how much of a PITA was it.

I'm about to scoop up a FJ100 tomorrow.
Nice dude that should be a pleasant driver car truck. iirc I had to wrestle with it but it wasn’t too bad. Maybe you loosened er up for me? LOL

Nice dude that should be a pleasant driver car truck. iirc I had to wrestle with it but it wasn’t too bad. Maybe you loosened er up for me? LOL

Maybe.

I feared I was going to rip the damn thing out of the firewall so I left it alone. lol

I just had a little dude, so I was wanting another LC, but needed something more family friendly.

So I don't wanna get my hopes up as the condition of the transmission is only alleged, but this week may be the 60's first drive. Have to finish welding the y-pipe and get the O2 bungs situated, but it's about to get there!

Been a while since the last update. I'm currently on a small vacation after graduation from college. I was having issues with the engine not running correctly - really rich and would only run with the MAF unplugged. Curious thing, right? The diagnosis took some reading and a can of starting fluid. It would appear that early gen-3 5.3L engines had an issue with chronic intake manifold gasket failure. Ordered a revised gasket from Fel-Pro and it should be mint. I am also looking to start rounding up parts for the sound system. I know that there is very little space between the door structure and the window regulator so if anyone has any success stories feel free to share. Not looking to shake the glass out of the truck or anything, just something that will have performance comparable to a modern vehicle (all else equal eg. insulation, etc). I'll report back around Christmas time when I'm back at the shop!

Been a while since the last update. I'm currently on a small vacation after graduation from college. I was having issues with the engine not running correctly - really rich and would only run with the MAF unplugged. Curious thing, right? The diagnosis took some reading and a can of starting fluid. It would appear that early gen-3 5.3L engines had an issue with chronic intake manifold gasket failure. Ordered a revised gasket from Fel-Pro and it should be mint. I am also looking to start rounding up parts for the sound system. I know that there is very little space between the door structure and the window regulator so if anyone has any success stories feel free to share. Not looking to shake the glass out of the truck or anything, just something that will have performance comparable to a modern vehicle (all else equal eg. insulation, etc). I'll report back around Christmas time when I'm back at the shop!
@TheNeek Offers some speaker adapters that facilitate front door speaker mounting and add some clearance from the window regulator mechanism.

Nice build!

Funny seeing another Cressida guy. I used to have a well built one with a 500hp 1J, flared, caged, linked, etc. That was a nuts car.

Nice build!

Funny seeing another Cressida guy. I used to have a well built one with a 500hp 1J, flared, caged, linked, etc. That was a nuts car.
This is most decidedly not a nice car haha. Stock 1j leaky turbo and no interior. It’s built to smack into a wall LOL

In the mean time I’m re-sealing the knuckles with the Marlin Crawler kit. Not a bad job if you just take your time. Also make sure you have plenty of rags!
1ED3FCB7-FDAE-449F-A359-91CA2156AA11.jpeg

Last edited:
Front pump on the trans was totally destroyed so it’s in the shop being rebuilt. Fingers crossed there are no other obnoxious issues like that.

Howdy guys. Didn’t get to take a lot of photos but there was a lotta progress over the weekend! Exhaust was finished back to the muffler, got a NEW transmission and setup av really beefy cooler for it.
49F0BB3D-FF04-41AA-B0CD-756C854756F1.jpeg

took it on its maiden voyage around the yard:

Needs to be driven so the rear suspension will settle. Also needs bigger tires and for me to make some bumpers

Boom. New tires and wheels and it’s looking much much nicer. Also threw in the carpet. Gonna let it settle for a week or so since it’s been folded up forever. Also started building an intake and an electric fan and tied up some other boring stuff.
32B2602E-3614-4C33-89EE-1AD804B5639B.jpeg

So I'm currently having an issue with my windshield wipers - I took the motor off to paint the truck (obviously) but when I put it back on I get nada. Thought eh maybe something's wrong internally, I'll just get another one. Got a known working one from a member, plugged it up and it spun exactly once and then nothing else. Anyone have a clue as to what may be going on? Would really hate for something like this to keep the truck off the road for another month lol

Figured out the wipers - now I just need to find some wiper arms. I'll probably end up getting some off a 98-00ish 4runner or whatever. Did a bunch of work on the interior this weekend. Sound deadening material went in, carpet is in, cleaned up the rear door cards and test fit them - It's a shame I'm changing the interior color because these cards look pretty mint after some Oxi-Clean.
IMG-6714.JPG

IMG-6713.JPG
IMG-6716.JPG

Was finally able to install a CCOT console I impulsively bought well over a year ago shortly after I bought the truck. Side note: I really need to put in an order for that center bezel from Trail Tailor.
IMG-6730.JPG

Also finally slapped on the engine cover - 100% less ugly.
IMG-6731.JPG

Future plans include reupholstering the seats and door cards to match the rest of the interior, building some panels for the cargo area and getting the amplifier, sub woofer, rear 6.5" speakers, and inverter figured out. Sounds like a lot to fit into one of those panels, but we shall see. I'll also be looking to figure out the A/C system soon-ish since Georgia doesn't abide by the four seasons. Looking like it's gonna be a Chevrolet compressor and Toyota everything else. I Luckily have a good condenser coil that has been bagged and stored in a dry place and only need a drier and an expansion valve. This shouldn't be too bad as long as the plumbing doesn't give me too much trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom