For Sale 1980 FJ40 San Diego (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
1980 fj40 LAND CRUISER Sought after "Late" model

Great project. Needs some work to be road worthy.

It starts right up, original engine is good. Original drive train is good. Some surface rust but no rot.

Perfect candidate to restore as we all know these late FJ40 models are very sought after nowadays.

With a small effort it can be on the road while it gets fixed up.

This a very educated crowd so I won't offend your intelligence by stating the obvious “Late”FJ40 (79 and up) already have from factory, the common "upgrades" early models are subject to, such as faster diffs for highway speeds, better engine, better ignition, power brakes, power steering etc.

Needs body work on rear quarters, floors seem to have been replaced a while back, new shocks, new brake pads and speedo cluster, maybe sort out some electrical gremlins but nothing major. Needs to be trailered as break pads need some attention and has no front shocks.
It starts right up

15k although decent offers will be considered. Located in San Diego, clean tittle

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.12 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.13 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.13 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.14 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.15 PM.jpeg

What happened to the rear corners?
Are those LX450 3rd row seats placed in the front?!?!
I think a previous owner tried to do a trail rig type of thing without a lot of success. The seats came already in the unit like that, really have no idea what type of seats they are.
I am willing to discount the value of the parts needed to repair the rear corners form the price, if that helps a potential buyer.

10k? anyone? its a US spec rig, late model

Honestly and not trying to pile on but you'd be hard pressed to get even half that from anyone here.
Maybe try craigslist or facebook
that's what it looks like, not a lot of love is felt around here, quite the contrary actually, at least from a selected few. Ive had some good experiences in the past, but this time feels a bit different. No takers, that's fine. But the lack of empathy is what feels strange, specially on groups of supposedly like minded people.

99% of the members on this forum know what it would take to get this back on the road - it's not, like you say "small effort" while you get the rest of it fixed up. You also said you wont offend this very educated crowd by stating the obvious about late model40's, that's good - but offering it at double the price you paid, could come across as offensive to some more educated on the work needed.

I looked at this one when it was up for sale previously - it needs a LOT of work and I personally couldn't justify the amount of work/time vs asking price.

But I do agree that it has some good bones to start with, and I hope you get it sold at a price that you feel is fair to you.

Reactions: MAO
99% of the members on this forum know what it would take to get this back on the road - it's not, like you say "small effort" while you get the rest of it fixed up.

I looked at this one when it was up for sale previously - it needs a LOT of work and I personally couldn't justify the amount of work/time vs asking price.

But I do agree that it has some good bones to start with, and I hope you get it sold at a price that you feel is fair to you.
Completely agreed. Its a very educated crowd. Never meant to mislead anyone.
I was referring to the nosy and overall sh**ty attitude from a couple of members, but I see that's how they roll, so its quite ok.

the late 1979 and 1980 model year was sort of a transition years between the early 40's and the later 1981+ rigs
the PS is a plus
the larger knuckle pattern is a plus
all the missing bits is a big minus
the earlier bib is a small minus
the fenders don't have the turn signal holes, so are they filled in with bondo?
the floor that was replaced? so most likely came from a rustier area of the country, along with the cut rears
looks like there may be some rust in the driver door under the seal
lack of heater doesn't work well in the northern part of the country
no ignitor on the coil? also in the wrong place
the bent tie rod and relay rod

this one was listed here on mud for just a little over double your original asking price

in my opinion it would take a lot more than the difference in price to bring it to similar condition

Last edited:
the late 1979 and 1980 model year was sort of a transition years between the early 40's and the later 1981+ rigs
the PS is a plus
the larger knuckle pattern is a plus
all the missing bits is a big minus
the earlier bib is a small minus
the fenders don't have the turn signal holes, so are they filled in with bondo?
the floor that was replaced? so most likely came from a rustier area of the country, along with the cut rears
looks like there may be some rust in the driver door under the seal
lack of heater doesn't work well in the northern part of the country
no ignitor on the coil? also in the wrong place
the bent tie rod and relay rod

this one was listed here on mud for just a little over double your original asking price

in my opinion it would take a lot more than the difference in price to bring it to similar condition

thanks for your constructive input. I'm @ 10k and willing to take offers, so there is a bit of a spread for the right person, if that 32k price is a common reference.

This is a $5k rig at best. And you don't know what you have. The engine in 8/80 and later is a better engine due to different pistons that up the compression. This does not have that engine unless it was swapped or is actually a 1981 model year.

And as far as attitude, you are the one that reacted when someone called you out for what you are. People like you hide behind capitalism when you take advantage of a seller and try to add zero value yet make money. People here are always looking for good deals to build and enjoy these trucks, but parasites like you take that opportunity away while adding nothing to the community.

Did you expect that we would just send you way too much money and thank you for the privilege?

This is a $5k rig at best. And you don't know what you have. The engine in 8/80 and later is a better engine due to different pistons that up the compression. This does not have that engine unless it was swapped or is actually a 1981 model year.

And as far as attitude, you are the one that reacted when someone called you out for what you are. People like you hide behind capitalism when you take advantage of a seller and try to add zero value yet make money. People here are always looking for good deals to build and enjoy these trucks, but parasites like you take that opportunity away while adding nothing to the community.

Did you expect that we would just send you way too much money and thank you for the privilege?
whoa with the insults and overall cheap and vulgar way of expressing frustrations from you and others here.
Do you kiss your mum with that mouth?.
I know there is always one or two trashy apes with no education and a lot of frustration but man, more than a few are popping up out of their holes here.
Look buddy, you may not like the way things actually are, but that doesnt mean you hold any moral ground to insult people like that. Specially if you sound like GED was out of reach for you.
I would expect that from an uneducated almost illiterate backwards individual, who has things to prove and no self control or restrain whatsoever, but not from such a high caliber individual such as yourself, who seems to be a polyglot gracefully entwining form and function.
Wait. Hahahahaha
In any event, why don't you go and vent your frustrations elsewhere?
I think by calling someone parasite you open the door to be called what you sound like, an uneducated okie backwoods interbred individual who thinks is right to insult people.
Man, why do you have to take this to that sewage level?
Don't like my ad? it's fine, go back to your hole, don't get involved.
I've been a member for years and I've found good decent people for the most part but once your kind comes out, everything gets reduced to insults, sadly.

I find this amusing

let me use your level of rhetoric.
Don't like the way I do my sh*t? who the **** cares? go get a life man

I never thought this would descend into this but I guess it is what it is.
It's very simple, I started with a price, it seems no one liked that price and that's fine.
I lowered the price and am looking for serious offers, however low or high, I'll decide if I take it or not, this is the classified section after all.
But so far I've only gotten hate.
I didn't mean to come across as an ass but man, I won't tolerate s*** slinging from anyone, specially when Im trying to be civil.
Totally uncalled for.
I'm perfectly ok if there are no takers here, I may part it out, sell it elsewhere or even keep it and fix it up myself if no one wants it here.

Have an offer? make it,
Don't have an offer?
Please keep your judgements and insults for yourself.

Wow... real fight here..
First just forgot about price and sale history..
In this truck is nothing was rally left from 80's (maybe only title)... is looks same as 75-76 model year.. what is not really "late FJ40 model year"
In the East Coast it will bee nice start project truck. But bring it to original 80's model spec..will take a LOT investments..
Easy to make some "Frankenstein" truck (sorry Victor Frankenstein, you just a scientist who create a monster, but who is really care now)
Do you have any extra parts for it?

Last edited:
Wow... real fight here..
First just forgot about price and sale history..
In this truck is nothing was rally left from 80's (maybe only title)... is looks same as 75-76 model year.. what is not really "late FJ40 model year"
In the East Coast it will bee nice start project truck. But bring it to original 80's model spec..will take a LOT investments..
Easy to make some "Frankenstein" truck (sorry Victor Frankenstein, you just a scientist who create a monster, but who is really care now)
Do you have any extra parts

Not really a fight, just standing my ground and not letting some dudes bully their way in. I think they got the point though, they finally step aside.

It is a 1980, which is different from 75-76 in many ways. Different tub, drive train, faster diffs, bigger knuckles, side vent top, ambulance doors, gas tank is under the tub rather than under the seat, ps, disc brakes etc etc. Not a lot of similitudes really. I think the bib is the only part not original to the unit, although it is missing seats and some other parts.
I beg to differ on the Frankeinstein, but I agree on the investment.
I have no extra parts sorry.

is it a 1/79-7/80 or +8/80?

Sorry I haven't found the time to go to the storage and check the plate. I will Saturday and will let you know

looking at the valve cover and the glovebox door, it points to it being a 1979-1980 model
1981+ had the twist knob on the glove box door and the valve cover would be the short version, plus some other things that changed in 1981+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom