For Sale 1980 FJ40 San Diego (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
1980 fj40 LAND CRUISER Sought after "Late" model

Great project. Needs some work to be road worthy.

It starts right up, original engine is good. Original drive train is good. Some surface rust but no rot.

Perfect candidate to restore as we all know these late FJ40 models are very sought after nowadays.

With a small effort it can be on the road while it gets fixed up.

This a very educated crowd so I won't offend your intelligence by stating the obvious “Late”FJ40 (79 and up) already have from factory, the common "upgrades" early models are subject to, such as faster diffs for highway speeds, better engine, better ignition, power brakes, power steering etc.

Needs body work on rear quarters, floors seem to have been replaced a while back, new shocks, new brake pads and speedo cluster, maybe sort out some electrical gremlins but nothing major. Needs to be trailered as break pads need some attention and has no front shocks.
It starts right up

15k although decent offers will be considered. Located in San Diego, clean tittle

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.12 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.13 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.13 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.14 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.36.15 PM.jpeg

This is a late US spec unit, not a South America Mule worked to death and brought back to life. Perfect candidate to restore while it gets drive.

Some surface rust but no rot.

you might want to look at the bottom of the front bib

was this for sale in AZ 1-2 years ago?

is the tie rod bent?

Last edited:
Yes, I saw the bib. Not sure about the history, I've owned it for about 1 yr. and I've had it parked since, time to let it go

starting with the obvious, even if it was the case, you have a problem with that, correct? may I ask why? who named you the flip police? Not trying to be rude, but is that what you do on your spare time?
If you don't agree with the way things are done, just don't get involved, your negative input is not appreciated.
In other words, unless you're interested in buying, mind your own business or get a life.

@whitey45 if you're serious, and seriously interested, come and see and let's chat. Top alone can bring in more than that, not counting the engine and other sought after parts. But you know that.
The offer is appreciated and provided it's not only talk, I'll consider it after you see it in person.
Like I said, this seems to be a very educated crowd who seems to know that the market value of things is set by various factors, not only the provenance, or one's own perception of things. This is America.
I don't think I've ever seen a complete running rig for sale @2500 on this forum, It is a late US spec rig after all.
But lets walk the walk, come and see it and go from there

Your better off parting it out. There is just too many missing parts! Looks like it was scavenged over the years. Just from the few pics, missing the seats, steering wheel, carb and all smog equipment( cant smog in cali) wrong bib, missing quarter panel! Front shackle reversal, wheels, etc. It will take a heep of money to restore this late model fj40. The market will determine what someone is willing to pay, GLWS

I don't have a problem buying something to resale sell it. As a matter of fact, I do that often. It's posts like yours that bring out and show the true greed of some people.
You did nothing to it and want double the price. Good luck with your sale.

@whitey45 thanks for you input, parting it is a possibility, but let me make that call. And exactly as you said, the market will determine the price, not you own appreciation of things. So your offer of 2500 was just talk or are you coming to see it?

@JackA well, looking at your comments, it looks like you do have problem with that. What you define as "greed" is a very loose term. Others call it capitalism, or the American way.
I'm considering all offers at this point, so if you have one to make, lets talk, otherwise, respectfully, take your uninvited comments elsewhere and let the word roll

curious what's better about the engine in a 1980
This a very educated crowd so I won't offend your intelligence by stating the obvious “Late”FJ40 (79 and up) already have from factory, the common "upgrades" early models are subject to, such as faster diffs for highway speeds, better engine, better ignition, power brakes, power steering etc.

Curious what's better about the engine in a 1980?

Since you posted on an open forum......don't get made when people post something that you don't like.

That is all.

curious what's better about the engine in a 1980

Curious what's better about the engine in a 1980?
displacement mainly. 3.9 vs 4.2 liters. but also cylinder bore, power output and torque, albeit small, they're significant. GIYF. Lots of info available regarding that

Since you posted on an open forum......don't get made when people post something that you don't like.

That is all.
Do I sound mad to you? the intention was never to come across like that, the intention was to let you now my thoughts about your uninvited comments. In a respectful way.

You sound upset. Let's just agree to disagree. Good luck with the sale.

displacement mainly. 3.9 vs 4.2 liters. but also cylinder bore, power output and torque, albeit small, they're significant. GIYF. Lots of info available regarding that

Oh ok I know F vs. 2F I thought you were saying something specific about the 2F in the 1980 specifically

Reactions: MAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom