For Sale 1980 BJ41 Winch Roof Top Tent - Houston, TX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

----- SOLD $15,000 -----

Just wanted to revisit and update this so people know it has been sold and what price it went for. It's moved on to a great new owner and will be hanging out on a farm in Florida.

So I have come to the sad realization that I don't use or drive this truck enough and would like to begin looking for a new home for it. Somewhere where someone will have time to spend with the rig, enjoy it and take it on new fun adventures.

IMG_7471.JPG

I've added a walk around video taken Jan 25th 2015:

Where to start. . .
Brief history:
1980 BJ41 (JDM). I bought it in 2009 in New Zeeland and spent a month touring the north and south islands with it. I shipped it back to my home town of Baltimore Ro-Ro and picked it up in Baltimore. It saw light use there until I decided to take it to South America. In the summer of 2011 it was shipped to Boulder Colorado where my cousin (A Toyota rock crawling advocate and head of a machine shop) spent 3 months converting it to an overland expedition rig. In the fall of 2011 it was containerized and shipped to Buenos Aires Argentina. I picked it up in the opening days of 2012 and drove 5,000km south to Ushuaia in Tierra Del Fuego before driving all the way to the very top of South America in Colombia. In July 2012 it was again containerized and shipped to my new home in Houston. It sees weekly use now and lives in a garage.

IMG_7469.JPG

Here is the official IH8Mud used vehicle pre-inspection checklist

Name: Zach
Phone: 4OneOH-9eightyTWO-9247
Price: $16,500 including all the gear

What year is the Land Cruiser? 1980
What color is it? Blue
What Is the actual milage if known? 181 ,xxxKMs
Does the vehicle have a clear title? Yes
Has the vehicle been garaged? Currently garaged but not its entire life

Rate the body on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being perfect: 5
Is there rust? if yes please describe -- Yes, both doors are very rusty and the rest of the body has the odd to a few rust blisters
Describe any body/frame damage? Just the panel rust, I haven't found any serious frame rust. . .
Condition of windows? All windows are good, no cracks
Rear wheel wells cut for flares? Yes
All body logos present? I have them, not installed
Has vehicle been repainted? if yes, original color? Yes, Red
Has the top been removed? No
Is there rust in the floor? No
Please rate the tires - Excellent, Good, Fair, Need's replacing: Good, 2 years old, 25,000 km on them
Original Wheels and Hubcaps? If no, please describe. New wheels in 2012, original locking hubs

Rate the engine on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being excellent: 10 (Starts first time every time, never given me any trouble
Is this the original engine/transmission? Yes
Has either engine/transmission been rebuilt? No
Original carburator or after market? Diesel baby!
What repairs does the engine/transmission need? The Tranny / T-case is currently using a bypass line:
Does it leak fluids? Very very slight from the T-case
Does it burn oil? No
Is the clutch in good shape? Yes
Have brakes been serviced? When? Brakes were serviced in 2012. We also broke a break line in Patagonia so it wa serviced again in aug 2012.
Transmission - in good working order - both high and low range? Yes
Does it shift smoothly? Yes
Power steering? Absolutely not!
How many inches of play in the steering? All new Tie Rod ends in 2012, very little play, drive it on the highway every time I take it out
Air Conditioning? Absolutely not!
Winch? 12,000 lb Ramsey
Aux Fuel Tank? No

IMG_7472.JPG

Rate the interior on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being perfect 6
What is broken or missing on the interior? Amp meter and oil pressure don't work
Seats Ripped? No
Headliner sagging or gone? gone
Original rubber mats? no
Rear Jump Seats present? gone
Dash Pads Ripped or cracked? NA
Dash board cut out for add-on switches or stereo? Yes, lots of holes
Original Radio? NO
Gauges working? Yes except Amps and oil pressure
All signals working? yes
Brake lights? yes
Head lights? yes
Turn Signals? yes
Licence Plate lights? yes
Hazards? yes
Wipers? yes
Washers? NO
Instrument lighting? yes
Original Owners manual present? NO
Inspection light present? NO
Jack present? Yes
Toolbag Present?We carried tons of tools, these will not go with the truck, so no
Rear Heater? no

Any additional add-ons, options, information oh yeah!

Babe_Accesories.jpg

(Ducati, jerry cans and Ninja not included, Truck nuts are (If I can still find them:))

Mods & maintenance:
(Before South America Trip, and I'll keep adding to this as I remember stuff)
 Tires and drivetrain:
o New tires, BFG MTs 31"
o New steel wheels that have built in spacers to give us a slightly wider wheeltrack (1.5" / wheel if memory serves)
 Electrical:
o 12,000lb Ramsey winch
o 4 optimas (2 red tops for starting (one is brand new!), 2 yellow tops for house bank)
o 2nd alternator (GM 3-wire for 12v system)
o Custom milled aluminum battery trays
o In-line volt meters
o 120V AC inverter + 5v USB charging station
o Stereo including line in
o In-line amp for intercom system
o Hella offroad lights
o Custom built LED Stop Turn Tails with White LED floods for reverse lamps
o Re-wound 24V alternator
 Mechanical:
o Rebuilt radiator
o RACOR primary fuel filter and water separator
o VIAR continuous duty air compressor + 2gal tank + air hose, tire chuck and air gun
o New tie-rod ends
o New clutch master cylinder
 Other:
o Diamond Rax roof rack
o CVT roof top tent with extra coverage and a zip on room for below, kind of crazy!
o TONS of spares.
o Hi-Lift
o 185 DB compressor driven air horn
o Roll bar already installed by PO as well as comfy chairs
o Altimiter (functional)
o Compass (works, just too close to engine so always reading south
o Massive MasterLock puck security locks
o Ammo-can bolted between the seats as a safe (where you keep your title and passports
o Security deck designed to hold action packers so even if someone breaks the windows they can't get the gear out.
o Snorkel

IMG_7473.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7469.JPG
IMG_7472.JPG
Babe_Accesories.jpg
IMG_7473.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG IMG_7469.JPG IMG_7472.JPG Babe_Accesories.jpg IMG_7473.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7469.JPG
IMG_7472.JPG
Babe_Accesories.jpg
IMG_7473.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG IMG_7469.JPG IMG_7472.JPG Babe_Accesories.jpg IMG_7473.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7469.JPG
IMG_7472.JPG
Babe_Accesories.jpg
IMG_7473.JPG

(After South America Trip, and I'll keep adding to this as I remember stuff)
 Re-wound both alternators and the starter
 New clutch slave cylinder
 RTT and roof rack removed to fit in garage
 Full Texas inspection passed
 Tagged and Titled in TX
 New wiper linkage system
 New Muffler

Last edited:
If memory serves I have the Rainier. It's been a great tent!

Bump for one hell of a ride, this is my dream setup. I saw a few sweet 40's when I spent a couple weeks on the north island last November. Good luck bro!

Yeah, its been a great truck and I've certainly chatted with a lot of awesome people who have been interested in it. Thanks for the Bump!

Still available. I just reduced the price. I'm traveling at the moment and don't have many good engine compartment pictures but here is what I have. Shame because you can't see the new red tops, the custom battery mounts, re-worked radiator and second alternator.

Here is the truck getting blessed down in Bolivia. I know its sad, need to get better engine compartment pics.

IMG_4014 (Large).jpg

Here is the GM 3-wire alternator and mounting hardware. Note the high-spec battery cable mounts
DSCN0039 (Large).jpg

This is the tranny - T-case bypass hose. There is a thread about that here on mud: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tranny-to-transfer-case-bypass-hose.95870/page-3#post-7390984
IMG_2483 (Large).jpg

I'd hope it would be like "the most interesting man in the world."

"I don't often take diesel from Patagonian ranchers, but when I do, I run it through my RACOR first to get the leaves out...
Stay thirsty my friend."

P.S. That really happened, not doubt the RACOR primary filter and water separator saved us from unspeakable horror.

Sorry I've been slammed at work, here are some pics from the engine bay, Rig is still available

Some notes:
- 24V engine (two Optima red-tops in series, both less than a year old)
- There is a separate 12v Optima Yellow Top with its own alternator
- I included a picture of the RACOR water separator and primary fuel filter and priming pump (Don't expect to get very far on your expedition without one of these!)
- I re-did the air intake between the filter and the engine. I used turbo parts because they are tough and readily available, the engine is not turbo'd (Although it is an excellent candidate)

IMG_8068.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8073.JPG

IMG_8075.JPG

I also dropped the price for IH8MUD peeps! Thanks for looking!

Vehicle has sold and moved on to a new owner. Talk about an emotional day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom