For Sale 1979 FJ40 ADVISE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm new to MUD and the FJ world. Looking for a FJ40 that is in good shape, but needs some restorations as a project for me and my son. I happen to find this 79' FJ40 w 90k miles with mostly original parts. Runs well. Some rust, a few paint issues (but is original), radio doesn't work, a few small things. Owner has not posted it yet, but wants $23,000.

The prices of these vary wildly from what I can find. Basically, could anyone give some advise to a noob with pricing? I'm happy to pay fair market, which seems to be closer to $20,000.

Any thoughts?

IMG_9671.jpg
IMG_9673.jpg
IMG_9669 2.jpg
IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9668.jpg

So maybe, Welcome to the madness !, Don't buy one !, You can still go back !

It seems to be a nice truck, but it has too much few "small" things that could easely double your purchase if you want to do it the right way.

A knowledgable local inspection would be of great help to you.

:cheers:

Hard to tell from the pictures, it the paint is original and there is no other rust than pictured runs okay, frame is solid, I would say it is a solid deal!

I would look closely at the rear corners and still, those are some of the worse spots on that era 40's but still not the end of the world. If it is a repaint and there is significantt bubbling, it is hard to say what is lurking beneath! IF uncertain of condition, bring someone along that is a little more familiar!

Good luck, Sounds like a fun project!

I personally wouldn't pay $20k for it, but I'm a curmudgeon who remembers the days when that was a $5k truck with wiggle room.

To me, a $20k or more FJ40 has to pass my lengthy checklist which includes rust. Even though the pics may only seem like surface rust I can see it in the seems especially on the rear sill pic. That's where the rust is going to fester and require you (or the new owner of this $20k-$23k rig) to peel back the inner floor sections and fix the rust underneath or else you'll be purchasing patch panels in the near future. The front floors are also prone to rotting where the seat risers transition into the floors on both driver's and pass. side. If the rig was painted then you are in the predicament of what was done to the body before paint? Was it a full strip, repair (if any) and paint? Was it a sand, bondo over and paint? These questions can be overlooked on a current $5k FJ40, but not a $20k+ rig IMO.

I paid 19k for my 78, and this one is in better condition. Engine bay looks neglected, and the oil cap looks like its barfing foam or something?

The body looks good, but hard to say what it is hiding - look for bondo (magnetic business card) and patches.

20k is a solid deal, as is. I wish this was available when I was looking.

Air pump is disconnected, hard to tell what else is missing for smog equipment without seeing the other side of the engine. If you have to smog it to register it this could cause issues. I see worm style band clamps on some of the coolant lines which aren’t original.

Otherwise looks pretty complete

90,000 miles would typically present much better than what I see here. Without solid provenance, I would say TMU "total mileage unknown" "Some" of the paint is original but it's had some paint work as well. Below are some pics of a 79 with documented 79K miles. I'd shoot for high teens.

IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4137.JPG
IMG_6654.JPG
IMG_7035.JPG

I personally wouldn't pay $20k for it, but I'm a curmudgeon who remembers the days when that was a $5k truck with wiggle room.

To me, a $20k or more FJ40 has to pass my lengthy checklist which includes rust. Even though the pics may only seem like surface rust I can see it in the seems especially on the rear sill pic. That's where the rust is going to fester and require you (or the new owner of this $20k-$23k rig) to peel back the inner floor sections and fix the rust underneath or else you'll be purchasing patch panels in the near future. The front floors are also prone to rotting where the seat risers transition into the floors on both driver's and pass. side. If the rig was painted then you are in the predicament of what was done to the body before paint? Was it a full strip, repair (if any) and paint? Was it a sand, bondo over and paint? These questions can be overlooked on a current $5k FJ40, but not a $20k+ rig IMO.

I hear you. $5k and wiggle room is what I remember just back in the early 00's. I'd have a hard time paying $20K for this.

That said, the market has changed. Everyone is seeing $$$ with FJ40's now no matter what has been done to them.

Isn't that clear coat peeling which would tell me not original paint??? Or maybe a paint over the original which is showing in the peeled areas?

Either way I'd be all over that with a magnet and paint meter if I could find one for $20K plus. I'd also want a compression check. The engine bay is looking a little neglected.

THis could still be a solid rig although it feels more $15K to me.

Really appreciate all of the quick responses. Obviously seems like a great community for advise that I’ll need to utilize going forward.

After seeing the advise, I’m going to take it to a local mechanic to have it inspected in more detail than my knowledge base.

I thought it may be the clear coat that has come off too, but is that also a sign the paint is not original? I’ll take a magnet to it, as well.

Randy

I'm new to MUD and the FJ world. Looking for a FJ40 that is in good shape, but needs some restorations as a project for me and my son. I happen to find this 79' FJ40 w 90k miles with mostly original parts. Runs well. Some rust, a few paint issues (but is original), radio doesn't work, a few small things. Owner has not posted it yet, but wants $23,000.

The prices of these vary wildly from what I can find. Basically, could anyone give some advise to a noob with pricing? I'm happy to pay fair market, which seems to be closer to $20,000.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 2018689View attachment 2018691View attachment 2018692View attachment 2018693
View attachment 2018694
Welcome to the addiction. It’s mostly there. Depending on where you live, the lack of smog equip could be an issue. That being said, the orig smog stuff is out there as are the original parts if you search hard for them.

I do see some rust so you likely have more in unseen areas. Check the floor pans, under the body between the outter and inner rocker panels too.

I think you have some room to bring the seller down based on the visible rust plus any more that is found on inspection, the lack of original equipment and added equipment such as; smog equipment, rear fenders flares have been added, aftermarket antenna drilled into body in the wrong spot, the stock radio has been replaced too.

You have some negotiating room but not much in today’s market.

Take care and good luck!

It becomes an obsession

You are warned

Hehehehehehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom