1978 Barn door FJ55 "daily driver" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

new door skins, rockers, etc.

PHOTO-2020-11-10-08-06-26.jpg
PHOTO-2020-11-10-08-06-26.jpg

Amazing the first pics were definitely "lipstick on a pig"!! In my search the barn doors are very intriguing however only one I have seen is in Costa Rica. Kudo's for you to be doing this correctly!

Wow. Looks like they have the skills to do it right. I've seen a few 55s for sale in Saudi but nothing overly tempting yet....and they all have barn doors.

Since I got into FJ55s (not so long ago) I've had an affinity for the barn door variety. These were never available in the US, but they do occasionally find their way here.

I've also found myself admiring this FJ56 restored by Riverside Garage in Japan. I really like the 1UZ, 5-speed combination, FJ7x rear axle, bucket seats, heavy chrome, and the overall "Toyota Way" quality of the build. It looks like something Toyota would have built, had the FJ5x been produced 10-15 years later.

More pics on the owner’s IG account.

So I set out to build my own version of it. First thing to do was to find a barn-doored pig. As it turned out, I found two, but we'll save the other for a later build. @FloridaFJ80 at Land Cruiser Heaven helped me find several in Colombia, but I finally settled on this one. Frank had his people fly to where it was and check it out. It was a bit rougher than these pictures show (and on tear-down things were, as you might imagine, even worse), but that's the fun of it all, right?

It was "good enough", and money changed hands in a country I've never visited.

View attachment 2497206View attachment 2497207

Wow, this should be a kick to read!
Good for you.
I really like the Japanese example. I wonder what wheels they are running? Double-DIN touchscreen looks at home on that dash. Is that a vacuum operate transfer case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom