Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you get a new belt on without pulling the fan?

I didn't have the clearance with my setup, I had to pull the shroud-fan-clutch all in one gaggle to get to the belt.
I can but it is a bitch 1 blade at a time and I have to pull the alternator.

My engine setup is identical to the one you describe. Shouldn't be a difference
I agree unless you have a longer water pump. On the F engine I was running a water pump from a 76 2F (I think) with a clutch fan and it worked out fine. I just sold that engine so I can't measure the water pump.
Here is a pic of the clutch to pump connection.

IMG_4737.jpeg

Here is the measurement of fan to radiator

IMG_4738.jpeg

The only clearance issue I had was the original shourd. I just took a 2x4 and 3 pound hammer and made some adjustments. Got good clearance now.

My fan is literally a zero clearance with the radiator with the clutch on. And there is no way to move the radiator forward without cutting away at the frame cross member.

I might try an aftermarket fan over the clutch style pulley, or maybe just go with electric fans?

@rkymtnflyfisher I'm looking through your thread again, and see where you started to address the issue, but that is right before you moved. Am not finding the relevant solution you found.

@rkymtnflyfisher I'm looking through your thread again, and see where you started to address the issue, but that is right before you moved. Am not finding the relevant solution you found
I should go back and finish reading that, it was right about the same time I popped smoke.

I should go back and finish reading that, it was right about the same time I popped smoke.
I see what you did, now.

You pulled the hub off an early waterpump and put it on a late waterpump.

I have an F waterpump with a pully and fan. Wonder if they interchange?

I see what you did, now.

You pulled the hub off an early waterpump and put it on a late waterpump.

I have an F waterpump with a pully and fan. Wonder if they interchange?
And the answer is "No way, Jose".

I have to use the pulley I have to have a shot of aligning with the alternator.

One problem with aftermarket fans, is that most go with a 5/8" pilot, while my '84 2F engine has a stepped pilot from 1" to around 5/8". Can't get an aftermarket spacer to secure the pulley.

From back of clutch to head is about 6-1/8 or 1/4".
IMG_4739.jpeg

Pulley to clutch is about 1-1/8"

IMG_4741.jpeg

So I would say the water pump head to pulley is about 5"

Do you have a 4 core radiator? I`m running a 3 core.

No, my overall length is about 6" which is actually slightly less than yours
There's a joke in here somewhere.

They are working with 11" of clearance. I have 8 7/8"

I don't need the clutch fan. Just want some way to run a fan, period with out spending thousands on ordering parts to see if they work.

Speaking of clearance, should my fan support mounts look like this?

IMG_20221121_083614487.jpg

Edited to add: It doesn't show well on this picture, but the driver's side mount bends down significantly, which makes the radiator support sit all cockeyed and off center.

what pulley do you have on the water pump? I later 2 row without the cone will make your fan sit deeper if I remember correctly.

That is the pulley that came with it. Two row '84 2F from an FJ60, which came with a fan clutch.

That pulley is flush with the water pump drive flange. It doesn't change the depth of the fan, except for the thickness of the metal it's made of.

I chased that squirrel around in my head last night in lieu of sleeping, myself. ;)

Do you know if something happened to the front of your rig that required replacement of the hood, bezel, etc. as they were different color (primed?) when you first got it? Accident? As far as I know, the radiator support (and radiator) was perpendicular to the centerline of the motor from the factory install so maybe those leaning supports are bent downward (for whatever reason) and you‘ve lost some fan clearance. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom