Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you know if something happened to the front of your rig that required replacement of the hood, bezel, etc. as they were different color (primed?) when you first got it? Accident? As far as I know, the radiator support (and radiator) was perpendicular to the centerline of the motor from the factory install so maybe those leaning supports are bent downward (for whatever reason) and you‘ve lost some fan clearance. 🤷‍♂️

I can find no evidence of accident or replacement.

The driver's side radiator mount appears to be designed this way. I have no exemplar to examine to know what "right" looks like.

I re-examined my motor mounts and it appears as the newly installed engine is installed correctly, and not pushed forward.

Just threw this together to see what it looks like

IMG_20221123_194923796.jpg

Now on to this mess. Can't say I look forward to plumbing and wiring

IMG_20221125_141527098.jpg

IMG_20221125_141519250.jpg

What in the Wild World of Sports is going on here?

IMG_20221125_135628287.jpg

Am assuming the transaxle vacuum can come off that intake manifold port. I have a hex screw blocked hole on the side of the intake manifold just below the intake port as well.

There is an unblocked port on the carb that I'm assuming will go to the distributor?

Last edited:
As you can see, I am still in the discovery phase on this build.

I really went back and forth on hooking up the front heater in my effort to "just get it running" but my plan is to be able to drive it enough to take my 1975 FJ55 off the road to fix some long needed issues.

For that, I need defrost, which means I need to get that heater hooked up. As of right now, I've only found the hose for the driver's side defrost, which would be marginally ok, though I'd like to find a passenger, or right side defrost hose.

Also, The driver side hard top panel is just wrong. It doesn't fit, and has several issues that make it hard to make right. I'm looking for an acceptable replacement panel, as long as it fits correctly, and would be willing to fix minor issues.

The wires under the dash look like nasty spaghetti, and it looks as if a full rewire is needed, though I'd like to just get the engine running and the lights working for now.

So, the electric fan has exactly the same clearance as the clutch fan.

Also, the electric fan costs almost exactly the same as the new fan blade I originally ordered for the rig.

So I slotted out the radiator support, squared the housing and looks like I need to lengthen my upper radiator support. Will pry just weld a washer on the end of the existing one and call it a day.

IMG_20221128_201851435.jpg

IMG_20221128_201745726.jpg

Lots of good info on lengths here

Lots of good info on lengths here

Yep. Already read that.

My total space between front of head to radiator was 8 7/8".

That's 2 1/8" less than your "tight" 11" clearance.

The Champion radiator bought me a scosh more room and trimming the front cross member and moving the radiator forward on the supports a bit got me the rest.

Short of randomly buying a bunch of water pumps "hoping" they'll work, I think I'll be happy with this lash up.

What about your motor mounts? Is it all secure on both ends? I seem to remember the 60 series motor mounts causing me problems on a build
This was my continually niggling thought as well. I used the updated FJ40 mounts and can't see how the motor could be set too far forward. I'll probably hook up my engine hoist next and see if I can get it to shift back.

As is, though, it should run and drive as is

I used my f engine motor mounts. I just drilled out the bolt holes. I also have the square newer mounts
If I'm following you correctly, that's what I did as well.

The motor mounts dropped in so easily, I can't believe that is where the issue is.

I'm starting to suspect that tolerance stacking has reared its ugly head here, because the F engine with direct drive fan was so forgiving in assembly.

I`m just throwing out the things that I used that might ring a bell that could be different on yours. But dam it all should fit. I have not really come across anything different.

I`m just throwing out the things that I used that might ring a bell that could be different on yours. But dam it all should fit. I have not really come across anything different.
AFAIK, the F engine it came with fit perfectly with the direct drive fan. This direct drive fan had an extremely shallow pitch to it's blades. Wouldn't it be logical to expect a clutch fan with more aggressive pitch to be significantly forward of the original configuration?

Was the F engine fan the stock 4 blade? I do agree the clutch fan with an aggressive pitch would stick out further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom