Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I admire your purism, Sir! I would call a cable an upgrade for simplicity, but keeping with the stock stuff is certainly respectable. My 60 had been swapped to a cable when I got it, so it was the easy way out.
Looking forward to seeing this rig boogie with that engine! I really do miss how smooth and quiet it was....
Those are shifter linkages for the transmission and transaxle, btw. The cable throttle stays.

Been busy traveling and with family/community events, but found some time today to do up a few things.

Now that I feel confident in those issues, I think it's time to face this mess.

View attachment 3132868
They all appear to be in decent shape so will try to clean and lube and install as is.
The R-hand threaded ends are still available, and L-hand thread are becoming harder to find. And CruiserCult aka @red66toy has the column shifter bushing for the shift lever just incase.
Toyota #33750-35011 LH End Assembly, Connecting Rod
Toyota #33740-35011 RH End Assembly, Connecting Rod

Thanks for those numbers.

BTW, ever have that moment when you realize you installed a motor mount upside down?

IMG_20221007_134519757.jpg

In the words of Mork, Shazbot!

Thanks for those numbers.

BTW, ever have that moment when you realize you installed a motor mount upside down?

View attachment 3134364
In the words of Mork, Shazbot!
Upon further review, it appears as if the mount is correct.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a real clear picture of how the slave cylinder is mounted. I have kept all the fittings together, but it's a puzzle to me.

My '75 FJ55 is on the other side and configured completely different.

The R-hand threaded ends are still available, and L-hand thread are becoming harder to find. And CruiserCult aka @red66toy has the column shifter bushing for the shift lever just incase.
Toyota #33750-35011 LH End Assembly, Connecting Rod
Toyota #33740-35011 RH End Assembly, Connecting Rod
Thanks very much for that. I was able to order both end assemblies through McGeorge Toyota, and will install them once they arrive.

The rubber on the ends is expired and they are getting kind of loose in there.

I have never been happy with the combination of bolts and studs on the exhaust/intake manifold on the 2F.

When I discovered that SOR had a stud set, I ordered it. Just received the kit and installed it. I bet it makes installation easier and in combination with the remflex gasket, should work just fine

IMG_20221013_222916069.jpg

@Thechief86 guilted me into doing some work today, so I fixed the spare carrier so it latches shut, serviced the front and rear pumpkins, and I "think" I filled the transmission/transfer case.

I also retorqued the front pulley nut and reinstalled the fuel tank. I couldn't find a 2 1/8 inch fuel safe filler hose so I substituted a 2 1/4 and just cranked down the hose clamps.

IMG_20221104_154514502.jpg

@Thechief86 guilted me into doing some work today, so I fixed the spare carrier so it latches shut, serviced the front and rear pumpkins, and I "think" I filled the transmission/transfer case.

I also retorqued the front pulley nut and reinstalled the fuel tank. I couldn't find a 2 1/8 inch fuel safe filler hose so I substituted a 2 1/4 and just cranked down the hose clamps.

View attachment 3159281
Hey man, I'm just trying to keep you motivated lol. I don't have any other local cruiser buddies and I wanna see this 40 doing stuff haha...
Poke poke

Finally decided to bite the bullet and tear out the old expired rear heater hoses. I want to eventually run a rear heater but in the spirit of just getting it running I'm going to do a field expedient delete.

When I removed it I stripped out most of the captured nuts which will need to be welded back in. Just doing a test fit to see how it fits.

IMG_20221114_143849261.jpg

So do I need a different water pump to make it fit?

I have a direct drive 1F 4 blade fan, pulley and water pump. Can that just fit on there and make it all bettah?

Edited to add: Looks like I can move my radiator forward a bit for the easy fix. Lemme try that.

Last edited:
I'll try to get some measurements for you sometime this weekend, I've dealt with what you're dealing with. I did delete my fan clutch though. Although at one point I did run one, but the setup was too tight to get belts on.

I'll try to get some measurements for you sometime this weekend, I've dealt with what you're dealing with. I did delete my fan clutch though. Although at one point I did run one, but the setup was too tight to get belts on.
The big deal with the fan clutch delete is finding a fan and spacer with the right pattern from what I've seen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom