1967 M416 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got everything buttoned back up this weekend. Painted the tail lights and got them mounted up. Replaced all the tub/fender/frame hardware with brand new 17mm head bolts/nuts so I don't have to expand my on-board tool kit. Smaller bolts for the light brackets have 13mm heads.

Didn't realize how warped the tub was until I tried to bolt it back to the frame (maybe pushing that dent out of the side did have some affect on it ;)). It took the help of a ratchet strap (and unbolting all the other tub bolts I had already done) to get the back pass-side corner to kiss the frame enough to cram a bolt in the eyelet.

Got the little ID plates and reflector frames screwed back in. I still need to update two of the (4) red plastic reflectors...just waiting on a backorder from my local OReilly's. I think I'm going to paint the inside wheel well area with that black stuff from Rustoleum too. Didn't get around to cleaning up the wheels, but that will complete the look for a while.

Trying to keep this as low budget as possible for now, so I think the only thing I'm going to do in the near future is cut 2-3 plywood sections to create a tonneau type cover. The heavy black vinyl tarp will keep it in place and water proof. The plywood will have a light inner frame to keep it centered on the inside edge of the tub. If I get a little more motivated I may make them dual purpose and put folding table legs on them.

Will post up some pics tomorrow, forgot to take any pics this weekend.

Pics!

Also, the tarp I picked up from www.mytarps.com is this one:
5'x7' Black Vinyl Coated Polyester Tarp 22 OZ #VCPT22BLK0507 $25.98
I added two more brass grommets to each corner, about 8" from the end, to help tidy up the binding of the corners.

M416_SJC3%2520%252857%2529.jpg

M416_SJC3%2520%252858%2529.jpg

M416_SJC3%2520%252859%2529.jpg

M416_SJC3%2520%252860%2529.jpg

M416_SJC3%2520%252861%2529.jpg

One of the main reasons for extending the tongue was so that I could still open the rear door without banging into the tub.

M416_SJC3%2520%252862%2529.jpg

Last edited:
Man you did a great job and it looks great! Time to camp out. :D

-Daniel

Really nice lookin trailer and I love the mods. One question I have is regarding the tires: are these new tires DOT approved and speed rated? I am purchasing an M416 trailer and the guy has told me that I will need to have a different set of tires on it when I license it with the state as these are NOT DOT approved and are only rated for 45 mph. He tells me I can put them back on afterward, but will be towing at my own risk and will be liable in any instance with the military tire. Is this true? What advice might you offer on this, because I really want to keep this style tire? Thanks!!

Not sure, I'll check the sidewall info and see if its got the DOT mark. The store I bought them from says they should handle 1800lb load at 45psi which is good enough for me. http://www.millertire.com/products/...uck-tires/7-00-16/7-00-16-specialty-military/

The inspection I went through was just so I could get a trailer tag for it and was basically a background check to see if it was previously stolen. Here in GA I had to register it as a homemade trailer because it did not have a satisfactory VIN on it. The military/manufacturer serial number was #2475 and that didn't have enough digits for their computer check.

Rick - I know I saw it in person at GMP, but looking at the resto thread makes me realize what an awesome job you did on this thing. I am keeping a lookout for M416s myself (seem tough to find in passable shape). It would be awesome to show up at the GT Autoshow someday in full expo trappings!

Looking for replacement tires (wheels if I gotta). Had a catastrophic failure on the newest tire on my way home from TX. Miraculously it was still holding air and we couldn't tell anything was wrong until we stopped for gas. I think the rough road conditions (major potholes) along I-20 between Vicksburg and Jackson are responsible (in addition to sustained highway speeds).

So I'm hoping it is possible to go to a non tubed, radial tire and use the same wheels. This was a 7.00x16 tire. Anyone got any suggestions for a tire of similar dimensions that's rated for highway speeds?

RoundUp2015_cbc (382).jpg
RoundUp2015_rc (154).JPG

Why would you want to move to a non-tube tire when the tube got you home?
I too am interested why he wants to do away with the tube. I understand radial tires. Would be interested in what kind of weight he was carrying. I bought some bias military tires for my M416 years ago and have held up well to highway speeds and desert heat. Last trip had two axles, three ceiling shelving units from Costco a long with at least another 100 pounds of stuff. Luckily not too many pot holes. If you switch to a radial tire is it necessary to use a trailer tire on these light weight trailers?

Ok, I'll ask in a different way. Can I still run a tube in a tubeless radial tire?

FWIW, what you see in the pic is the carcass with nylon threads, not the tube. The tread separated from the carcass quite spectacularly.

I was towing camping gear in the trailer which probably totaled 250lbs.

I believe I came across this issue years ago. Needed a tube designed for radial tires.

I did realize that was not the tube and assued as soon as you saw it you used the spare the rest of the way home.

As for weight 250# is light. Besides the pot holes it's possible it may have been defective from the factory. With the weights I carry and highways in the summer I'm always checking tire and bearing to see if they are getting hot, which is never the case. I worry the tires will separate if they get too hot. Believe I bought them around ten years ago and were less then a $100 apiece including new tubes. That was from a old surplus store that the owners retired and closed down the store. Pretty sure prices on these tires have gone up since then. They are marked "Specialty Tires of America" and I can't see where they were made. If I had replaced them I would buy the same ones.

Yeah that stretch between Vicksburg and Jacksonville is notorious. But when we stopped for gas just before crossing from LA into MS everything was fine. I always check the hubs on the trailer for excessive heat on trips like this, but hadn't thought I'd need to check the tires too. I've had those tires on the ground since the very beginning of my trailer cleanup - 3 years ago. Never had an issue until now.

We did swap it for the spare I had and made sure it was holding air. But now that the two original tires (came with trailer purchase) are on the ground, I'm thinking its time to address the issue with some radial tires that will hold up to highway speeds. I don't care about keeping the "period look" of the NDT anymore. Just trying to figure out if I need to go ahead and get new wheels in the process. I like the parking brake feature so I don't want to ditch the axle (or spend the money on a new axle).

Understood!

@woytovich and @jonheld have newer highway type tires on their M416s. I can't provide any insight, but I'm sure they can, on what tire/wheel combo to move to.

I had Kelly Safaris on mine. They were a size that very closely matched the stock dimensions. I recently sold the trailer and I know the new owner is planning on swapping in different wheels and tires (and a SOA) so this will be available soon... they are still in "like new" condition. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll hook you up. He is in the NY Metro area.

I am the one the bought Mark's trailer, and I love the way it tows with those Kelly Safaris. I recently had it loaded up with a 1200lb Cummins motor travelling at highway speeds without any issue. I do plan on doing a spring over after I get done with the engine swap. I will post back here when that time comes to see if you are still in need.

The correct size for a stock M416 rim is 215/85R16. I originally had bought brand new OEM military style tires/tubes, but after my first trip from Jersey to Moab I realized how freaking stupid that was. I sold them and bought Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in the size stated. Tows like a dream from around town to across the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom