1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speedometer doesnt care what size wheel only what size tire.

So if the speedo doesn't care how do you handle the tire and wheel sizes etc? I see posts where guys talk about there gearing, rear end, tire size and transmissions etc. how do you figure out what to do? Posts on this subject are rather sketchy. I am also considering an H55 transmission.

I have decided I am going with the ATX Mojhave wheels. 17".

ATX Mojave Black w/Teflon Coating

U can reface speedometer after u know how far it will be off depending on larger circumference of tire at a particular speed.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

U can reface speedometer after u know how far it will be off depending on larger circumference of tire at a particular speed.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

What do you mean reface speedo. Are you talking about redoing the number scale? that does not sound very easy to get right.

So if the speedo doesn't care how do you handle the tire and wheel sizes etc? I see posts where guys talk about there gearing, rear end, tire size and transmissions etc. how do you figure out what to do? Posts on this subject are rather sketchy. I am also considering an H55 transmission.

I have decided I am going with the ATX Mojhave wheels. 17".

ATX Mojave Black w/Teflon Coating

Speedo doesn't care about RIM size, only overall tire size. If you go up in rim diameter, but down in sidewall height, the speedo will stay the same.

Otherwise you have to calculate the amount of diameter difference between your stock tires and your oversize ones. You can get different speedo gears to compensate.

Or you can get a GPS speedo.

Re-doing the number scale would be tough to get spot on, but getting it as close as stock shouldn't be too hard. Grab any GPS device and take it for a drive. With a dry erase marker make marks on the speedo glass at certain speeds.

Take out the speedo face, copy it on a piece of paper or a copy machine. bead blast it, paint it flat black. Use your copy to have a sticker shop make a vinyl sticker with new graduations and stick that to your speedo face.

Speedo doesn't care about RIM size, only overall tire size. If you go up in rim diameter, but down in sidewall height, the speedo will stay the same.

Otherwise you have to calculate the amount of diameter difference between your stock tires and your oversize ones. You can get different speedo gears to compensate.

Or you can get a GPS speedo.

Any idea what the overall diameter of the original LV tires were? I have not been able to find this out. That way I could at least try to get close. I am planning on using 17 wheels and then going down in tire size. Looks like most are 32-33" OD.

Here is the info on body mounts copied from other post.

For the record, I ended up finding what I think will be the correct body mounts for my LV. They match what I removed, which was basically old rubber tire belting sort of material. I bought Daystar Body mounts. Daystar sells a 12 piece kit and a 2 piece kit. You need 14 body mounts. Non of the shops knew anything about the parts. I ordered from Jegs and they shipped directly from Daystar. I have not set the body yet, but hope to do it very soon. Wil report back.

Daystar #319-KU04004BK KIT BODY/FRAME ISOLATORS 12PK and Two pc kit, #319-KT04008BK

319-KU04004BK - JEGS High Performance

Any idea what the overall diameter of the original LV tires were? I have not been able to find this out. That way I could at least try to get close. I am planning on using 17 wheels and then going down in tire size. Looks like most are 32-33" OD.

I am a little late to the party here, but the stock tire size for the LV was 7.60 X 15 or essentially a 29" tire.... thus if you run 33's you will find your speedo off quite a bit HTH

:beer:

Well after almost 6 years of hard work, thankfully, not full time, the body is now re-united with the frame. I still have a long way to go, but we are making forward progress. At least I know there will be very minimal metal work from here on out. I still have a couple of very small spots to repair and I and changing the front firewall so I can add factory power steering. I realized that I do need some body mounts (4) of the FJ40 style so I need to source those. I was amazed at how easy the chain hoist was able to lift the truck.

One thing that I am not happy with about these LV’s is the center line of the rear axle. It is just too far forward for my tastes and is obviously if you put larger wheels and tires on these things. I am sure there were many an LV body with cut rear fenders over the years. My question, is it possible to slide the axle back a bit on the rear springs? I am using Old Man Emu springs. The look very long and I was wondering if it is possible re-position the axle point. Even one or two inches would help. I am not about to get into cutting the frame or other hard core fabrication.

JP, as for the wheels, I thought some of these old rigs had 16” rims? Is it possible to re-gear the Speedo? I really don’t want the old 15” rims. Looking for a much more aggressive and aesthetically pleasing option. Not that stock does not have its place, just not on this ride.
IMG_7960.jpg
IMG_7962.jpg
IMG_7963.jpg

more pics

more pics. Next week all my plating goes to be Yellow and Clear Zinc plated. At that point I will try to start bolting engine bits and pieces on. I also have to make some decisions on the A/C system. I do not want the old school under the dash unit. I am going for the concealed, as much as possible, up in the dash unit with vents coming out of the dash. I have seen this done by TLC and buckroseau so I know it can be done. Just have to do some metal cutting etc from under the dash. If anyone has any a/c info please let me know. Thanks for watching.
IMG_7974.jpg
IMG_7975.jpg
IMG_7973.jpg

Congrats on the progress Mark, it must feel awesome to have the body back on, wish I was in your shoes :beer:

As for relocating the axle back, use these:4+PLUS AXLE RELOCATING PLATE I've used them for the same issue

The wheels on all American market LV's were 15's and I believe the rest of the world got 15's as well. The 16 inch split rims you are referring to came on later 70's cruisers. However like some of the other guys mentioned rim/wheel size is irrelevant as the overall diameter drives the speedo and in that matter I have no experience with re-gearing the speedo. I have always just used GPS for my speed.

Looking great :cheers:

I guess the GPS is the way to go and not worry about the speedo. Not like this thing is going to be a speed demon anyhow. I am very happy to know about the plates. I was really stress out after seeing the body on the frame and not happy with the alinement of everything. I knew it was going to be an issue early on. Wish I had know earlier, probably would have been easier to install with body off, but I am sure it can be done. I actually have not ran the bolts into the body, just in case I had to life it again. As for your truck, it just takes time. You will get there someday. Thanks

I have a wheel question for you guys. I want to run larger and taller wheels. Can anyone help with backspacing and that sort of stuff. I think we use 5 on 5 with 4.5" BS. I don't want to go with 15" wheels. Thinking about 17" since that is what Jonathon Ward uses on his ICONS and they look killer, IMO;).

Here is the wheel I am considering. ATX Mojave Teflon
atx mojave teflon.jpg

As for relocating the axle back, use these:4+PLUS AXLE RELOCATING PLATE I've used them for the same issue

x2 on the relocating plates. Pretty popular in the mini truck world and usually you can get around an inch of movement with them. Sky manufacturing and All Pro off road also have plates (assuming the centering pins are of similar size between mini's and Cruisers).

Great to see the body back on the frame!

Landcruisers are 6 on 5.5. 4.5" backspacing is generally too much, I think you need about 3.5" to clear calipers. Though with a 17" wheel that may be different as you may have more clearance. I don't remember your brake/axle setup either.

Landcruisers are 6 on 5.5. 4.5" backspacing is generally too much, I think you need about 3.5" to clear calipers. Though with a 17" wheel that may be different as you may have more clearance. I don't remember your brake/axle setup either.

You know I don't know why I did not remember that there are 6 studs, but thanks for that. Got it 6 on 5.5. Now as for the backsapcing, I am running 1979 FJ55 front and rear axles with a rear disc brack conversion kit. So how do I detirmine BS and whether or not a set of wheels will or will not work on my truck. Maybe I better find a local tire supplier to buy from so they can work with me if the wheels are not correct. If I order online, it could be an issue. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom