1962 FJ 40 / FJ 25 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

New to this forum, although I use it a ton in restoration projects. Previously was the owner of an '89 FJ62. Dad and I resorted and sold it. Now own a 1963 FJ 40 that we are looking to restore. Tons of questions have come up.

Mainly is the confusion with these early FJ40s. Every part I want to order is for 1968 and newer it seems. This is the first I've seen about a FJ25. I've been searching for a thread with details about these early models but everything seems to be owners looking for specific questions/parts on their vehicles. A lot of the differences seem like they wouldn't matter/. For example, why would a windshield wiper motor not be compatible on a '62? I understand I'd have to wire it and everything but I can't imagine there is a difference between the years that wouldn't allow me to install it.

The 40 is in good condition with a small block 350 and automatic 3-speed. Here are a few things I am looking to do in the near future, but I am having a hard time determining compatibility with years.

- Disc Brakes: I have found multiple disc brake conversion kits. From what I've been able to determine is these kits won't work with my '62 because of the axel. I am thinking I will swap it for a newer 40 or have even been looking at a four runner or something. Anyone have thoughts/details on this?

- Fuel tank: I want to replace the current fuel tank I have. From a quick inspection I suspect it is not in the best of conditions. It also has had a patch job from the last guy done on it which I'm not too happy with the results.

- Body panels: the body is in decent condition but it looks like he shot a cheap Macco job on it before selling. Body panels seem like they are decently cheap and I want it repainted anyways, so ideally I would buy new ones. Again, problem is they all say '71 or '72 newer. Is it the physical size of the panel or how they assemble that is preventing me from using them on my '62?

I have a ton of pics which I will try to upload today. Currently this is the only one I can put up, which really doesn't do it justice. This is just the start to the hundreds of questions I am sure will be coming up.

Thanks everyone for your help.

- Chris

IMG_4117.JPG

Welcome to the club. Good looking rig, what's the VIN #?

The early trucks had separate wiper motors for each wiper.
Thanks. Didn't know they had separate motors. Do they still mount exterior to the windshield or is it somewhere else?

Here's the VIN: 2FJ4014905

1962 FJ40 for sure.... More pics?

Thanks. Didn't know they had separate motors. Do they still mount exterior to the windshield or is it somewhere else?

Here's the VIN: 2FJ4014905
Two motors will mount on the inside of the upper windshield frame.

Hi Chris, Welcome.

I learned 61 and 62 FJ40s are a bit different then later years because they used leftover FJ25 parts. As it looks like you have a FST Factory Soft Top Model with the FJ25 (J**P) style door opening. Should have a centered rear axle.

Parts books or programs start in 1969. Most 1969 parts are correct (brake parts etc.) Don't know about the body panels of 71 and newer but I think it shouldn't take much work to modify. I heard earlier trucks have thicker steel.

For modifications as disc brakes etc. you are at the wrong place. People here are mostly purists that want to keep (or get) the Landcruiser stock. Such questions are better asked in the 40's section. Questions about how things were or should be are more then welcome!

And we need pics!

Good luck with your product. Looks like a decent truck at first sight.

Parts books or programs start in 1969. Most 1969 parts are correct (brake parts etc.)

For modifications as disc brakes etc. you are at the wrong place. People here are mostly purists that want to keep (or get) the Landcruiser stock. Such questions are better asked in the 40's section. Questions about how things were or should be are more then welcome!

And we need pics!

61 are a bit of a odd ball. Brakes are not FJ25 or later FJ40. Just like the rear jump seats which would mount like the FJ25 with the arms in both sides but are lower like the FJ40 with just one at the back.

As for disc brakes it not just purist but they are harder to install. Besides the flange in the way of the booster the pedal bucket is welded in place and spacing between clutch and brake might be different. This is going by what I've read in the 40/55. Never followed it that closely as I gave up putting disc brakes in my 68 or any earlier FJ40. Just remember switching the pedal was something that made for a easier cleaner conversation. But that may just be the purist in me it I going to convert what it as clean as possible. I know a number pf people have used non cruiser boosters with a spacer. On my 65 FJ45 pickup I'm going to use a cowl from a 78 FJ40 that solves a few problems including the disc brake booster. Original engine listed on VIN was replaced before I bought it so not worries about keeping it original.

:cheers:
No confusion on these early 40's........you've entered the Twilight Zone of Land Cruisers. Toyota denied they needed any parts support (or some say denied they still existed) when they transitioned from paper catalogs. Some vendors are just not aware of the differences. The aftermarket support that's available is the result of the hard work, passion and dedication of the members and vendors on this forum. The best information available on the early rigs is right here, either by searching, or asking and learning with the rest of us.

Specific pictures and questions will get you an opinion whether you're staying original or modding. Many later parts are bolt on, most of these early rigs are a mix of original and later parts mainly because it's up to the owner to figure out what they want to do to keep a rig running.

where in colorado? i have a 62 also, in the denver area, if you're local, you're welcome to stop by sometime and chat and compare differences.

for disc brakes, it's not just swapping the parts to your axle that's the issue. if it were, you could just pick up any 69+ axle and put disc brakes on it and be done. the other problem is all the brake lines would have to be swapped since they are different sized fittings. to do it properly, you would want the dual master cylinder and prop valve, that as mentioned won't fit your firewall.

where in colorado? i have a 62 also, in the denver area, if you're local, you're welcome to stop by sometime and chat and compare differences.

for disc brakes, it's not just swapping the parts to your axle that's the issue. if it were, you could just pick up any 69+ axle and put disc brakes on it and be done. the other problem is all the brake lines would have to be swapped since they are different sized fittings. to do it properly, you would want the dual master cylinder and prop valve, that as mentioned won't fit your firewall.

Might have to take you up on that. Im down in the springs, not to far at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom