100 Series Recovery Point Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The issue is and perhaps I should have led with this, on my LX the tow attachement, first pic, goes directly into the bumper. So the reason I'm looking for a D ring receiver with holes on all sides is because that's going to go directly into that tow attacement as seen in the first picture. Did I explain that well?

So when you take off the small cover this is what it looks like:

img_0308-jpg.217178

Then you get the tow attachement and it looks like this:

1793625d1456631705-ot-what-kind-trailer-hitch-img_38871.jpg

Unless I completely spent the money needlessly and I can just put this guy directly in there and secure it with a hitch pin?

61U2VKblo3L._SL1500_.jpg

BEWARE!

I have the identical in-bumper hitch that you have and so far I have gone through the following hitch D-ring's and none of them fit with the Toyota tow attachment. The loops hit the shackle before it inserts far enough to slide the hitch pin in. Still searching for one that will fit.

I've tried these:
Amazon.com: Shackle Hitch Receiver by Vault – Perfect Towing Accessory for Trucks and SUV’s – Connect Your Tow Straps for Vehicle Recovery to This 10,000 Lbs Capacity Receiver – Mounts to 2” Receivers: Automotive

Amazon.com: Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers: Automotive

BEWARE!

I have the identical in-bumper hitch that you have and so far I have gone through the following hitch D-ring's and none of them fit with the Toyota tow attachment. The loops hit the shackle before it inserts far enough to slide the hitch pin in. Still searching for one that will fit.

I've tried these:
Amazon.com: Shackle Hitch Receiver by Vault – Perfect Towing Accessory for Trucks and SUV’s – Connect Your Tow Straps for Vehicle Recovery to This 10,000 Lbs Capacity Receiver – Mounts to 2” Receivers: Automotive

Amazon.com: Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers: Automotive

In this one here:

8117QpnV6aL._SL1500_.jpg

Can't you just mount it so that the d ring is vertical? Since it has 4 holes?

I am not very familiar with the LX's but in that first pic w/the cover removed it doesn't look like there is a hole for the hitch pin..? If that is the case then you can't safely secure a hitch without a receiver hitch.

yeah this guy here, that I bought,

receiver-hitch-jpg.343388

Has the hitch pin hole. Without it, the bumper has an empty hole.

That was my logic in buying that one thinking I could insert it vertically but the holes still don't line up. It doesn't go in far enough. See below...

View attachment 1387723

The one from amazon that has 4 holes has this set of dimensions: 10.5 x 4.8 x 2.6 inches. So essentially something longer than 10.5 inches. From your picture it seems that about 11 inches is just right?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that with some of the bolt-on stuff (i.e. that lunette ring) you will not be able to actually tow anything. Maybe that's not a problem for some of you but I have a boat and a camper so I went with a clevis hitch similar to the one @eurodre posted so that I can remove it if I need to use a ball hitch for towing.

I did a quick research and found this guy

Amazon.com: TGL 2" D-Ring Hitch Receiver with 3/4" D-ring: Automotive

it's at 12 inches in length

Did you keep trying to look for other items or stopped the search? It's personally becoming a hassle but if you went through and eventually found one I'd love to hear it

That could work. I'm still looking, I just returned the last one I tried Friday so now I'm trying to find another option. The search continues!

I was planning on posting a thread about it once I did find one that works but just hadn't gotten there yet. Luckily Amazon prime makes it easy to try multiple options.

I went with the CSI W580 Winch Receiver & Shackle Combo. Its a solid clevis shackle with a no-bounce fit. Not sure if anyone has experienced this with other hitches but my father has a similar shackle hitch on his 4Runner from another brand and you can actually hear it rattle in the receiver when you go over bumps. Bought it in 2014 and have used it many times for both snatch strap recoveries as well as being winched and it has worked great.

That could work. I'm still looking, I just returned the last one I tried Friday so now I'm trying to find another option. The search continues!

I was planning on posting a thread about it once I did find one that works but just hadn't gotten there yet. Luckily Amazon prime makes it easy to try multiple options.

This is why I should probably look for more pictures. So on this link from earlier:

Amazon.com: TGL 2" D-Ring Hitch Receiver with 3/4" D-ring: Automotive

They give us the exact dimensions:

3fTI2DY.jpg

I'm going to measure tomorrow in the daylight and report back

I'd love to have your cut out rear bumper to bolt this on!

Added bump protection also. :bang:

Toyota Pintle 2 (1).jpg

Toyota Pintle 3.jpg

Please forgive my ignorance here, but why can't you simply use your tow hitch itself as a recovery point for those few times? I've always knows to just use the hitch as my recovery point since it's a chunk of steel attached to the frame. I'm NOT referring to using a hitch pin threaded through the strap inserted in the receiver hole. I'm referring to wrapping the strap AROUND the hitch's horizontal bar, then thread the strap through it's eyelet (like a cow hitch knot). If you don't want the strap to be able to slide side/side, pass it through the receiver hole and do the hitch knot there.

I mean we are talking about a Land Cruiser here, Toyotas in general don't need winches or tow straps :)

Please forgive my ignorance here, but why can't you simply use your tow hitch itself as a recovery point for those few times? I've always knows to just use the hitch as my recovery point since it's a chunk of steel attached to the frame. I'm NOT referring to using a hitch pin threaded through the strap inserted in the receiver hole. I'm referring to wrapping the strap AROUND the hitch's horizontal bar, then thread the strap through it's eyelet (like a cow hitch knot). If you don't want the strap to be able to slide side/side, pass it through the receiver hole and do the hitch knot there.

I mean we are talking about a Land Cruiser here, Toyotas in general don't need winches or tow straps :)

1793625d1456631705-ot-what-kind-trailer-hitch-img_38871.jpg

If I think I know what you're saying, there isn't any space to get a strap in there. Notice how once the hitch assembly is in there isn't any space unless you go directly through it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom