Rotw - T Y L E R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Compared to many, my 97 80 is pretty softcore. I have always strived to balance capability with asthetics. Like a piece of sculpture slowly taking form ... ;p . It's been in my hands for just over 3 yrs now since I brought it back to Ontario from Houston, TX.

Cruiser - 1997 FZJ80 gas , moonglow pearl , unlocked

Today, as it sits, this is what has been done ...

Note A: Please click on the links in this list, as they will take you to the threads I began on that particular mod, or to a related site that retails the product.

Note B : These mods listed appear in no particular order.

1 ) Aprox. 4" lift with OME 850J/863 and L-shocks . Slee castor correction plates . Note : The install pics in Slees notes are currently of my 80 ;) )

2 ) All the other parts that went into this lift (Ex: Sway bar drop blocks etc)

3 ) Orbital Extreme battery ( single for now )

4 ) Clear corner, signal and tail light lenses

5 ) Delorme Tripmate GPS and hard-mounted laptop

6 ) Line-x'd roof subsequent to roofrack removal

7 ) Custom below-mirror turn signals

8 ) Blacked out front grill . I am also in the process of replacing the bling with silver emblems.

9 ) Slee style headlight upgraded harness

10 ) Truspeed Recalibrator subsequent to 35" BFG MT's ( 315x75R16 )

11 ) Upgraded front door speakers - Infinity

12 ) Misc stuff like the centre diff lock switch, cup holder, husky mats etc

Please review the threads I've linked to, as they will illuminate many aspects of the mod involved. :)

Peace,

TY

Very nicely done...;)

love how you line-x'd the roof

Very nice rig Tyler, super clean, super cool look.

I think two parts of the ROTW ought to be "as it sits now" vs. "future mods", and, the other part worth mentioning with all these rigs is what type of wheeling, how much, how severe etc do you do with yer rig???

So with that in mind, what sort of future mods have you definitely decided on, what order are those mods going to get on, and what type of wheeling, how much, how severe, etc.

Again, very nice rig. I love ROTW!!!! :cheers:

see #5

you have done a lot more to your truck than I thought you had, nice work :)

turbocruiser said:
So with that in mind, what sort of future mods have you definitely decided on, what order are those mods going to get on, and what type of wheeling, how much, how severe, etc.

The truck is pretty close to where I'd like it right now. A number of mods in the form of a wishlist comes to mind though I could not place them in a set order right now. They include :

- 4:88 gears
- Fr/Rr bumpers
- Sliders
- Second battery
- 16x10 Rock Crawler wheels
- 36" Irok radials
- Fog light setup

I'm not after the ultimate crawling rig. Just a capable rig at home on both backwoods trails or a week in Moab. Also a rig comfortable for long hauls across country .. hence it being an 80, with GPS, laptop and aircard internet. Like I said, not hardcore, but certainly capable when the need arises.

TY - Sponsored by Starbucks
;)

OZCAL said:
Nice Tyler. Didn't you also do a neat laptop mount, or was that less of a mod and more of a removable item?

David

David, as Jerome noted the laptop writeup is found under item 5 on my list. The mount is a permanent feature now, and I am extremely pleased with it. I recently completed a 2000 mile trip in which it performed it's task quite well. I had issues with the laptop power supply (internal power connector was defective and will be repaired). The Jotto mount I purchased is VERY adaptable and so I could change the configuration on the fly if I had a friend or family member jump in the passenger seat. The are 6 levels of adjustment, so I was initially concerned that if I moved the mount from it original (perfect) position I had placed it in, that I would not be able to get it back to that precise spot. This proved to be wrong. It is quite easy to tweak into just the ideal position ...

TY

RavenTai said:
you have done a lot more to your truck than I thought you had, nice work :)

Raven thanx for the kind words. I think the mods took a big step forward this winter when I hooked up with Poser and his buds in Minnesota. After that came the GPS, laptop, stereo, and Line-x'd roof. Not sure when the next evolution will occur .. :D

TY

OZCAL said:
:doh: Higher than I can count!

Thanks.

David

thats what we're here for :flipoff2:

T Y L E R said:

I'm not after the ultimate crawling rig. Just a capable rig at home on both backwoods trails or a week in Moab. Also a rig comfortable for long hauls across country .. hence it being an 80, with GPS, laptop and aircard internet. Like I said, not hardcore, but certainly capable when the need arises.

;)

sounds like the ultimate rig to me working towards the same goal, im just a few steps behind :cool:

how do you like your 315 mt's im installing my j springs this week and will be buying new tires after i return from a summer road trip to martha's vineyard, i currenty have 285/75 bfg at ko's im looking to go with either 305 or 315 bfg mt's, how does it run without gears as it will be a while before i reach that step?

Jerome,

The 315's will be the way to go with the J's in my opinion. Just keep the PWR button on always, and take the OD off on hills. ALSO invest in a Truspeed Recalibrator (See link on my list). I originally went with a medium OME lift and a steady progression of tire sizes insued. Had I gone directly to J's I would have jumped right into 315's or bigger. I would save you the hassle and money, and steer you in that direction immediately.

Peace,

TY

Coolness on the GPS and laptop. I am on the road frequently with work so I went for a smaller package solution in the Verizon XV6600 phone, iGuidance software, and Deluo Bluetooth GPS. I can velcro the GPS to my dashmat, put the phone in the dash holder, plug it all in, and have some nice irish lady tell me when to turn.

Love it!! I am still looking for a quality solution for offroad nav for pocket PC. The XV6600 is Pocket PC, has broadband over cellular, bluetooth, etc.

For the geek factor it is a very nice addition!

Land Rover Rescue .. :D ,

I really love this lift. I run a really light rig, so with the lowered bumpstops I'm hoping I'll get some decent articulation out of it. The other aspect of this combo is that it provides me a fairly level attitude; with a slightly raised rear . You need that for cargo though. I'd still like to run wider wheels though. Maybe go up to 36 Iroks if money is there.

I took the idea of the 850J/863 combo from another forum member Waggoner5 I believe. He had a 40th with this combo that looked awesome.

The great thing about this ROTW idea is that many up and comers will be able to put together just the right recipe to build their own rigs based on what they see laid out here. Many, many beautifully built rigs will be showcased as the weeks roll on...

Good luck in your own build :cheers:

TY

Nice work TY. I love the mobile internet solution...although you still didn't take any pics of the lower part of the mount.. :D

:cheers:

mabrodis said:
Nice work TY. I love the mobile internet solution...although you still didn't take any pics of the lower part of the mount.. :D

:cheers:

Mark

Here is the site for the laptop mount .. in the end they were great guys to deal with.

http://www.gomobilenow.com/Jotto_Heavy_Duty_Universal_Desk_p/5167acd.htm

I tried so many time to take some good shots of the mount, but I just could not. With the door where it is etc, and the tight convoluted nature of the mount it became nearly impossible to get a clear closeup. Perhaps the site with satisfy anyones need for bigger pics.

TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom