New custom turn signals (sub-mirror) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got the itch tonight to finally go at my new mirror signals. Now that I've switched to clears all around, I'm trying to weed out any lenses at all that are not clear. The only coloured left, are my side markers. In accordance with this I decided it was time to chuck the old amber mirror signals I had made years ago. Instead I went with some clear angled lenses I found at my local Canadian Tire Store. Found them in the bling section, with a price to match :rolleyes: .

This time I decided to really get into the mirror, so I went into the garage and spent the short time completely dismantling them both. The afforded me the luxury of returning upstairs to the condo and working quietly inside. I'll try and form a brief outline of the job below. It was a 2 hour, 2 banana, 2 #6 project :)

Step-1 : Adding another larger hole on the lower mirror housing

To guide me in hole placement, I took the plastic gasket off the new signal, and placed it on the lower mirror housing. I had a few objectives in mind in regards to hole placement:

1 - Keep the signal as close to mirror centre as possible.
2 - Retain the mirrors highest range of motion.
3 - Allow access thru the signal housing to mirror motor screw.
4 - Placement of signal on a flat portion of the mirror housing.

P4280177.JPG
P4280178.JPG
P4280182.JPG

Next I ground down the signal housing to fit in, and beside the motor mounting screw.
P4280176.JPG

Wiring it was a lil tight, and getting the motor screw into place thru the space between the mirror and the housing was challenging. Once in place I used my largest micro screw driver to drive it in thru a hole I had pre-drilled into the signal's reflector.
P4280187.JPG
P4280174.JPG
P4280175.JPG

Once the wiring was complete, and the motor secured, it was just a matter of re-attaching the signal lense. Then the mirror housing bolts were tightened and the molding replaced.
P4280189.JPG
P4280190.JPG
P4280199.JPG

Another pic or two..
P4280188.JPG
P4280195.JPG

Thanx guys. The clear lense on these signals gives them a bright, clean look that I was looking for.

They're regular bulbs. I haven't gone LED's. Not sure I like the idea of LED's quite yet. Seem to be insufficient spread on them for the most part. Then again, I suppose I could dissect my various lenses, and build LED boards to fit behind the lenses.

TY

Man, call me Mr. Zero Bling, but I like the way that turned out (no pun intended). How tough was the initial wiring job to get wires out to the mirror for blinkers? Also, do the blinkers get you in the eyes when they're on at night, or are they far enough forward the edge of the mirror shades your eyes?

DougM

Just for my own morbid curiosity Ty how much money do you have invested in lenses alone on that rig????????

IdahoDoug said:
Man, call me Mr. Zero Bling, but I like the way that turned out (no pun intended). How tough was the initial wiring job to get wires out to the mirror for blinkers? Also, do the blinkers get you in the eyes when they're on at night, or are they far enough forward the edge of the mirror shades your eyes?

DougM

Ditto. I have, on those 45 degree turns (not enough radius to kick the turn signal into the off postition), accidentally left the turn signal on. Great job by the way!

IdahoDoug said:

DougM

Doug,

The wiring to the signals was quite easy. I just pulled the lower front signal lenses, and tapped into 'both' wires. I ran that back thru the quarter panel, and up and thru to the door. I couldn't stomach the idea of trying to run my wires with the pack that goes in the lower door and up to the mirror etc, so I took a shortcut. I just jumped across from the opening of the quarter panel, and slid my wiring under the dorrs weather stripping. Next I removed the triangular trim piece covering the mirror retaining bolts, and ground off a bit of plastic which isn't seen anyway. That grinding provides room for me to easily slip my wiring up and thru to the mirror. Once there my stuff just follows the regular motor wires. I initially did this three years ago, and the weather stripping has never breeched moisture. The two wires sit quite flat between it and the door frame.

In the pictures, the lenses look rather bright. At nite they are just nice I find...not too garrish, but quite enough to put a smile on my face, and let traffic know my intent. The smile is because my old amber lenses developed a loose connection that kept shorting out the fuse. It was an internal short in the fixture, and the way I had gooped the old ones into the plastic inserts it would have been a lot of work to repair. Hence these clean, bright...clear :D replacements are quite a nice upgrade. And no blown fuses!

Peace,

TY

'Bout time you responded. What did you do last night? Sleep?! Heh.

DougM

A few more pics. One of the 80 in the brighter garage lighting....you can see the signals aren't overpowering. In the other shot are the wires coming from outside the door frame, into the mirror housing. I eventually connected them up behind the mirror mounting frame; out of the way. The black wires in the lower left of that frame are from my utility light off the battery, and are NOT part of the wiring here. I don't want to confuse someone as to where the wiring for the lights are coming from. The signal wiring comes in from the interior side of the door, thru the corner of the triangular mirror bolt cover, and once inserted thru there, follows the same route as the mirror motor wiring.

:cheers:

TY

P4280197.JPG
P4280191-sm.jpg

Doug, I know , I know .. I actually got into day mode right off of my last nite shift this block!! i It feels soooo nice to be up with the rest of the world. I had to chuckle though when I looked back at the time of your post...cause I'm usually wide awake at that time...(3-4AM EST). Sorry I missed ya ;)

Xtreme, you're right it's muddy in there....because I push my junk to the limits. Mud bogs and gumbo aren't enough of a challenge now, so I have added nitrous so I can perform vertical 180's ... sometimes landing square on my roof. Hence the dirty mirror guts and the soon to be Line-X'd roof :doh:

TY

T Y, nice job dude. I was wondering about you at first, but now with lift, tires, caster, this custom mod, you are really coming along nicely.

So are these gonna help you 'wheel better? I don't see any way that they could possibly aid in the traction dept. ya :princess:

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom