850J/863/Castor Plates... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
850J/863/Castor Plates are now on !

I just wanted to put some feedback up on the setup I now have . I wanted to go with a setup that would give me more clearance and also level out the attitude of the truck . I achieved both . The following is my new setup :

* 850J OME front
* 863 OME rear
* Fr/Rr OME L-Shocks
* Fr/Rr Swaybar drop brackets/blocks
* Extended braided brake lines
* Slee Castor Plates
* OME steering stabilizer
* 315 BFG MT's on stock alloy wheels
* LSPV lowered 1/4 inch
* Fr/Rr stock bumpers

To be honest I was a little apprehensive that without the extended panhard rods my driveability might suffer . In my particular case this did not happen ...

I had the chance to drive for 6 hrs straight on my way home from Poser's shop after the weekend session . This included country roads , and highways . The truck drove amazingly well ! I had tons of washboard to drive over , and I NEVER felt the truck try and wander . I also had hwy stretches with bumps every 10 feet or so from heavy trucks .. and was able to travel over those hands off for as much as 1/4 mile at 80 MPH ! The truck tracked straight and true ... I was blown away !

The truck now drives better than it ever has . It is extremely smooth and controlled . I originally ran the OME 851/860 (light/Med) setup and this is an improvement . It also raised the front up 2" and the rear 1" higher , and with the jump seat back in , it will achieve a nearly level attitude .

I have only a few notes to make on the Slee plates and the install . First , they kick ass ! Get them when you go 4" . Second , I would avoid using the washers with the bolts provided on the passenger side control arm , as that prevents the bolts from travelling thru the nuts completely . I placed lock tite on all of the nuts and also had Poser weld the leading edge of the control arms and Slee plates as Christo indicated in an email to us .

I have some pics that I will add to this thread when I get organized .. just walked in the door . Also I would like to mention that this all would never had been possible without the my incredible host , Poser . His keen mechanical sense is matched by a shop that would pale most by comparison . He and his family hosted myself while we laboured for over 3 days . Poser's friends Tim and Ben were also instrumental in pulling this all together . They are an exceptional group of guys , and I am truly indebted to them all ... :cheers:

Peace ,

TY

Last edited:
So what is your estimated lift from stock with current setup? Thanks for the great info!!

T Y L E R said:

I have some pics that I will add to this thread when I get organized .. just walked in the door .
TY

Organized, smorganize!!!

You can write a thesis but can't upload one pic?

Get outta your coconut-oil bath, quit shaving your stuff,

AND POST SOME PICS!!

I have probably 4" over stock .. but Slee would probably know best . I might have more over a guy with a similar lift but running heavy bumpers etc . It's eaxactly as tall as the lowest cross member in my underground parking . I have parked outside until I can remove the roof rack and Line-x the roof .

I will get on pics when I finish eating .. ;p

TY

Dude, take some pics....of your truck, you bald bastard! :flipoff2:

Ok , a few pics ... The first shows the Slee plates , once I have removed the washers . The second shows the castor plates installed with the washers , and evidence that the bolts cannot be threaded completely thru the nuts with the washers in place . The third is a shot of the fron suspension , including the 850J coils , OME stabilizer , front sway bar lowering blocks , extended braided SS brake lines , extended breather tube . The final is just a shot of your ugliness on his drive home .. :flipoff2:
P1150040-sm.jpg
P1160048-sm.jpg
P1160058-sm.jpg

:d...
P1170061-sm.jpg

Glad you made it home without drama...

-Steve

Well , I got a wee bit lost ... like I said I would eventually do . Just a matter of time with me :D Took 50 .. ended up crossing 91 .. took 91 to 8 .. and that over to 35 :rolleyes:

From there on it was clear sailing . Got in at 9 PM .. The cat only took one crap on the laundry room floor so I feel privilaged ;p

Cheers Steve ,

TY

Couple pics that Tim took of the weld at the leading edge of the lower control arms and Slee plates ...

ShopKam-Ty-47.jpg

ShopKam-Ty-48.jpg

Here is a nice shot which reflects how much of the lower control arm bracket must be ground off for the plates to fit on and to allow the bolt to pass thru the plates and bracket .

ShopKam-Ty-27.jpg

ShopKam-Ty-30.jpg

TY

Looks good
What about the caster plates is there a price on those bad boys since I didnt see them on the slee site . Also Tyler did you replace the front drive shaft? :cheers:

Koffer , good question . I did not replace the drive shaft , and am experiencing no driveline vibes . :D I believe I paid $120 USD for the plates .

Rick , you're right . It didn't require much grinding . In fact we ground off more than needed to be as seen in that second pic . There are tabs on the inner aspects of the plates , and they must clear the control arms . I suppose we could have marked the control arms where the plate hole was and ground that , but it would not have been enough because you need to acknowledge that the tab is square on top , and so any grinding must also be square/horizontal .

Though the bolting is substantial , I think welding them after they are bolted up is a good idea ... Gives me a little more peace of mind anyway . :cheers:

TY

T Y, awesome pics! Thanks. I have been really curious about how much grinding, how they fit, ect.... and those pics help. Only question is why does the DS caster plate have a bolt passing through the entire plate system at the top, while the PS caster plate has two bolts, one on each side at the top?

Concrete , I questioned this myself . We spoke about it at the shop , and decided that a similar single bolt on the PS would not be allowed to pass thru the plate and control arm because of the diff housings proximity .

TY

Tyler,

Couple of questions:
1) do the front springs bow at all?
2) are the inner spring bump stops any closer to the springs? Especially near the ends of the bump stops.

I'm amazed at how you have no vibes! This is about a six degree caster I'd suspect and you still got no vibles! Amazing.

Not to jack this thread but...

Are those Ontario plates in the pic?

If so, where do you call home. I'm new to the 4x4 and TLC game and would like to pick your brain if you had the time. :bounce:

Waggoner5 , the irony is that now that I shelled out the cash for all this , I might be too broke to travel ... :eek: . I'm hoping for the Black Hills in July .. that sounds like a sweet trip that isn't too far from me . Gotta find a cruiser chick to ride shotgun though .. :D

Alia176 , yes the bumpstops are closer in the front coils . As you suspect at the distal end of the stop it approaches the inner coil . The coils do not bow though ..

Aamiggia , yes those are Ontario plates .. astute ;) Pm me , and we'll talk cruisers .

:cheers:

TY

PS : I just took a bunch of shots of the 80 as it sits in the work parking lot . I'll upload them when I get home after 7 EST . Ohhhhh baby baaaaaaby ! :D

T Y L E R said:
Waggoner5 , the irony is that now that I shelled out the cash for all this , I might be too broke to travel ... :eek: ...
So...now that you have your rig built up...are you gonna make it to Cruiser Moab?
Or are you too broke for that? :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom