Laptop mounted / GPS online .. wireless (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's a very short overview of what I got done today.

I received my laptop mount by courier along with a few other goodies, and proceeded to drive to the local college parking lot (my garage :) ) to install it all.

In addition to the laptop mount, I also ordered the screen holder, as well as a universal adapter plate, which I affixed their cell phone holder.

5176 ACD Jotto Universal Floor Mount
1302 Cable-Dock Screen Holder
4015 Universal Cell Phone Holder
5224 Stationary Side Saddle

I setup, measured, assembled and installed the mount with accessories. One deficiency I discovered were the mounting-self tapping screws. They were deemed too short/small, so I replaced them with the next size larger, and longer...sorry I didn't check the dimensions of the new hardware because I stepped into the back of the auto store, and she just handed me a handful of screws I thought going to work a little better.

Note: Alia176 has a great custom mount using solid 1" pipe, which he bent and had milled down to 7/8ths at one end so it mates with the mount. I may likely do the same.

The are seven holes in the floor mounting plate, but I discovered that only six have clearance thru the tranny hump at the location I decided was best. With my larger hardwear I find the mount is quite acceptable for the time being.

I set the laptop on the mount and with a little adjusting, I found the perfect spot for it to sit...I mean perfect!! Here are my reasons for say this :

**Sloped angle for easy of typing
**Passenger mirror visible still
**CD's eject without problems
**Dash drink holder is in the clear
**Drinks can still slide easily to the holder in front of the centre console
**Clear visibility 45° to the right over screen
**Passengers can slide in (barely) in the passenger seat ;p

As a bonus I discovered that I can slide my GPS Tripmate™ receiver into the cell holder, and clamp it in tightly. And surprisingly I get a 3D lock within 5 seconds !! Which confirms my research on the web that though the Tripmate is a old receiver it is quite exceptional at getting a quick fix. Until last nite I couldn't seem to get the receiver to work with non-proprietary mapping software. For one thing the high quality software I had obtained could only read the serial port COM1 at a minimum of 9600 baud. The serial receiver was meant to be read at 4800. It hyperterminal you can see the data stream by @ 4800, but at 9600 it streams by but in code. It seems my new mapping software could care less about the code/9600 baud. The main thing, I guess is that I modified the receiver to be 'auto-on' mode by kicking back it own ASTRAL signal back to itself. I also powered the receiver by tapping into my unused USB port...grabbing the +5VDC.

I sat in fron of the Future Shop tonite surfing on their open wireless network. I'm too lazy to take this out, so it seemed like the logical way to download the few things I wanted at the moment. Riley sent a few items my way that will rock my world shortly ;) . Once I get that up and running, I'll post details. :bounce:

For power, I used the 140W inverter that Cruisin_Carolina so generously included with the Compaq Presario 1655 you see here in the photos. What an awesome laptop for going mobile with. Solid, compact (10x12) and plenty of HD space, memory etc.

Here are a few initial pics from tonites outing. I will post a few more if I can actually take some non-blurry during the day. If so I will try and focus more on the mount, and the various adjustable features of it, as well as the plate positioning I decided was best in my case.

If you have any questions, just fire away.

:cheers:

TY

P4220140.jpg
P4220144.jpg
P4220150.jpg

P4220125.jpg
P4220138.jpg
P4220137.jpg

P4220146.jpg
P4220147.jpg

Looks good. Don't think I'd depend on 3 self tapping screws, but depends on the size I suppose. Oh, and the pipe would be 'turned down' ;) , but whatever :D

So you have waypoints all set up for all the starbuckian cafes? :flipoff2:

Actually Junk, I used 6 self tapping screws. They're at least 1 1/2" long and a larger bore than the originals.

Yes.. turned down from 1" to 7/8ths. The he had tabs welded to the horizontal portion that he ran in front of the passenger seat, and used those existing bolts to do the job. Talk about solid. :cool:

I will create a Starpukian database of waypoints and post for you .. :flipoff2:

TY

Looks cool, Wouldn't it be neat if you could custom install a 7" touch LCD screen (replace the stock radio) and hide the laptop somewhere or just build a custom housing for the motherboard (im thinking the center console) You'll have all the capabilities of a PC! GPS/NAV, MP3, Video, wireless, USB.... all that stuff..... I've been thinking about it.... Has anyone too?

MLX450 said:
Looks cool, Wouldn't it be neat if you could custom install a 7" touch LCD screen (replace the stock radio) and hide the laptop somewhere or just build a custom housing for the motherboard (im thinking the center console) You'll have all the capabilities of a PC! GPS/NAV, MP3, Video, wireless, USB.... all that stuff..... I've been thinking about it.... Has anyone too?

I've been planning on the same thing.........put it all in the center consloe and just have a screen visable.........It would make for a much cleaner install. I have mine all planned out.....Just need to find the time to do it.

Ty,

Looks good. As Junk said, the self tapping screws aren't the best over the long term. I'd replace the screws with 3/8" stainless steel bolts, washers and nylock nuts. If the 3/8" are too large, then step it down one size. If you do go this route, apply some sealant around the holes for waterproof"ness".

Ty,
Can the laptop be used comfortably by the passenger?
Does the mount pivot?
Is there much vibration on the road?

Thanks

How much moola for the hardware? (Not counting the Laptop & converter)

Also, how much weight do you think it would hold? I can alredy visualize my
4 yr old hanging (or sitting on it). :frown:

great job!
too bad you ain't gonna get any in the front seat no mo'... :D

This mod tickles me pink I guess like you guys getting an ARBbumper and winch. For me it is something that I'll use everyday I drive .. whether that be readily available and highly visible GPS navigation, or surfing the web etc. Certainly one of the highest bang-for-the-buck mods I've done. A touch screen would be cool, but never at the cost of real visibility, and close proximity which the mounted laptop affords me.

As for cost, I will refer you back to GoMobileNow.com . Email the company for shipping details etc, and speak with a guy named Kevin. The gear is well worth the price, as it is top notch and reflects a high attention to detail. The side saddle for instance has enough predrilled holes that it opens itself up to numerous mounting options. The mount platform itself also has threaded holes beneath for mounting a myriad of optional equipment.

As far as the passenger using it comfortably, I suppose they could. For myself the position seen strikes a balance which diminishes the sacrifices in any one area. If I were to shift it to work for the passenger, then I would begin the sacrifice...whether in visibility, or another area mentioned above. The unit IS highly adaptable, and has many adjustments that I will try and take pictures of. Five levels of adjustment come to mind, which includes a height adjustment.

Ali, can you expand on how I attach the SS hardwear? I like the sound of that a lot, but am unsure how I manage to be inside the tranny hump and wrenching the bolt inside the truck at the same time. Can I take out the centre console etc to access?

Again, I should refer you to the site for weight restrictions...I don't think a child should climb aboard ;) :whoops: There is no visible vibration, which was a concern of mine. Obviously if you grab the top portion of the mount you can flex it a little, but this doesn't happen to any noticible degree in transit.

TY

e9999 said:
great job!
too bad you ain't gonna get any in the front seat no mo'... :D

HAHUAHAHEHEAHEHEHEE... :flipoff2: I was gonna say sumthin like that Damn E!!! Shutzz How many pics you posted T? What are you tryin to compete with me?
LOL.... :grinpimp: Those laptop remain me the Cops car (5.0) hhahahahaa.... :flipoff2:
T, just lil suggestion be carefull with Laptop hangin like that..they break your window because of laptop (Car Thief) :whoops: Think twice 2x unless you got dark (Limo) tinted window, it may help lil..my .02 :princess: :flamingo:

XTWEEM, hold on a moment while I find you the 'most-emoticons-used-in-a-thread' award :flipoff2:

I will not worry about it right now. There is a risk, but I refuse to live my life dominated by that fear. I don't leave the 80 parked outside for too long, and I always have the alarm on...hopefully the proximity fields will warn away most. If they choose to do a smash and grab, then so be it...this is precisely why I looked for used hardware. $100 spent for the laptop and GPS.

You will not find me mounting a new laptop up there, and if I were to ever carry one, I would probably have a strongbox fabbed and welded under a seat or something.

TY

That is a great set up. Something I want to work out, much better than my ghetto setup of plexi-glass, velcro and straps.

T Y L E R said:
I will create a Starpukian database of waypoints and post for you .. :flipoff2:
TY [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Along these lines I have been playing with the idea of making a waypoint database of all the state liquor stores in Utah. I can never find one when I need one.

Ross

GeoRoss said:
That is a great set up. Something I want to work out, much better than my ghetto setup of plexi-glass, velcro and straps.

Along these lines I have been playing with the idea of making a waypoint database of all the state liquor stores in Utah. I can never find one when I need one.

Ross

Move to Nevada...liquor wonderlust no more!

Ty,

Good job. You def. get the geek award this month.

Ty,

Tyler said:
A touch screen would be cool, but never at the cost of real visibility, and close proximity which the mounted laptop affords me.
I have been thinking of building a carputer with a 7" touch screen, but I agree with you about having a full size monitor. I may just keep using the old G3 until it dies, but look into your mounts. As to passenger comfort, I guess they could sit in the back.

spressomon said:
Move to Nevada...liquor wonderlust no more!

I don't live in Utah, just work there often. The NV/UT border almost made me cry after two week in Delta, UT a few years ago.

Ross

I have been working on a similiar project but chose to go with a tablet PC instead. I went with a Fujitsu Sylistic 3400 that is touch screen enabled running DeLorme software. I like this system as it is smaller and does not get in the way of the passenger. It is a Pentium III, 6 GB hard drive, voice activated etc, etc... If and when I need to use a keyboard it is IR and does not need to be attached to yet another cord to the computer for it to work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom