Front Bumper Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I finaly finished my "honey-do" projects for long enought to have some time to start building my bumper!! I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out so far concedering this is my first tube bending project. I ran out of welding gas or I probely would still be out there! :cheers:Joel
land cruiser bumper 001 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 002 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 003 (Medium).jpg

Totally unique bends on that front bumper- looks sweet!

I just noticed you posted on the Cascade Cruiser forum about making the trip to McGrew and I was wondering if you were bringing this beast with you. If so, I can't wait to drool over it. Anoher convertible pig to check out- I love it!

OINK! OINK!

Yeah that's sick... but now you have to give us more. I checked the P.O.T.M. schedule, but didn't see you in there... can't wait a year to see more. Need it now!

I love that view from the front with the spotlights in there. It'll be cool for me to finish mine up and post pics next to yours since you went over the lights and I went under them with the noseguard.

Howdy! Looks really good,especially with the extra lights. I suppose it would look just too overwhelming if you ran a tube on up from the lower supports towards the parking lights. That corner of the front fender always takes a beating in the pucker brush. John

I really like that! You did a great job working with the lines on the 55. I really like how the horizontal bar wraps around the fender providing some support without effecting clearance. Great way to think out of the box. Awesome job.

Ryan.

P.S. Like everyone else I would love to see the cage, and how you cut off the top. I hate to admit it but I am sure eventually my pig will be going in that direction.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
I have been trying to build this in my head for the last year or so. I wanted to emphasize the unique characteristics of the front end of the piggy:pig:.

Later on we are going to be adding a bar from the firewall, through the upper fender to the snout cover, for added strength.
At some point I will also be adding tube front fenders(Meteltech style).

I will be taking her on the McGrew Trail ride in July. We can't wait...this will be our first TLCA event. We ran the trail a few years ago and had a blast.

This is one of the pictures of the cage I have for now...I will take some more and get them posted.

:cheers:Joel
cruiser (Medium).jpg

Well I got a little more done on the bumper. I boxed in the ends of the frame rails for extra strength, and because I cut one off to short when I did the SOA. Adding in the mounting points turned out pretty good too. They should be pretty strong with four 5/8" soon to be grade 8's and three 1/2" bolts on the the lower half.

I have not had a lot of time to spend fabricating until recently and it feels great! Every once in a while when I'm in a bad mood I'll sneak out to the shop to grind on something and it always puts me back into my happy place.
land cruiser bumper 016 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 017 (Medium).jpg

With the bumper well on it's way, I started thinking about how bad those fenders are looking!

If your a purist you might wont to turn your head. Sorry! I used to be, until I started grinding out the bondo and chicken wire the p.o. used for body work.

This is the first set of bars I bent for mock up.

land cruiser bumper 018 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 021 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 023 (Medium).jpg

Couple more pictures! Now that I bought a Silver star I feel like a Japanese tourist at Disneyland! (don't be offended, it's funny)

Cardboard is a great thing! It holds a pizza together, and can fill in the gaps when your trying to think!

land cruiser bumper 026 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 027 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 028 (Medium).jpg

Hey dood, how do you plan to attach the rear of your tube fenders to the body? I have to admit, I've never seen a bobbed or chopped pig I like before. Your work looks really nice.

Do you have a picture of her butt?

I 'm getting closer to finishing up the fab work on the first fender. Man there a lot more work in these little buggers than I thought there would be. Theres a lot of different angles to have to work with. But I'm happy so far.

P.S. thanks for the words of encouragement!:grinpimp:
land cruiser bumper 030 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 032 (Medium).jpg
land cruiser bumper 033 (Medium).jpg

man i really dig the way your tying it all together and keepng it looking like a pig, thats really what purist is all about for me, make it better but keep it the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom