New LV owner starting frame-off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClemsonCruiser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Wanted to drop in and introduce my new project. I have been a big fan of 45's since I bought my first FJ40 ten years ago in college and was sucked into the world of Land Cruisers. The opportunity to join the FJ45 club finally presented itself to me in the form of a 1964 FJ45LV for sale here on Mud by a fellow member Merbesfield. Many of you probably have seen his own resto. thread here on Mud, and I must say after seeing his LV in person his work is top notch and I hope I can do half the job he is doing.

I am really stoked because this is going to be a father son restoration, and it will also be my fathers first Land Cruiser :beer:

My father and I left Augusta Tuesday day morning headed for Atlanta with a u-hual trailer in tow and cash in our pocket! Meet up with Merbesfield around mid-afternoon gave the 45LV a thorough look over and please with what we saw loaded her up for the ride back home. Drove the 3 hours home through a blinding rain storm arriving home around 10pm. With it still raining out we decide to unload the old girl in the AM.

The first obstacle we encountered was how to unload a 5'000lbs cruiser that doesn't run and has no brakes from a trailer with out in smashing into the surroundings..... luckily we came up with a solution that required the use of more Cruisers:grinpimp:
DSC_0398.jpg

My recently resto'ed '62 FJ40 to the rescue
DSC_0396.jpg

Success!
DSC_0402.jpg
DSC_0398.jpg
DSC_0396.jpg
DSC_0402.jpg

The LV is very original.... only changes from stock besides the paint job appear to be the removal of the front bench in favor of some buckets (I am looking for a LV front bench seat if anyone has one) and the addition some where down the line of rubber flooring with household carpet on top to the floor throughtout. Luckily whoever did this at the time was smart enough to prep the floor with POR-15 or something similar and thus the floor wasn't totally ruined by the water/mold that built up in the cruiser over the years.....

Plans are for a bone stock frame off restoration. I will be looking to the LV experts to keep me on track with this resto. and welcome anyone to share their pointers and tips :cheers:

alright time for some pictures of the ole girl. I think she is a good starting point.....
DSC_0405.jpg
DSC_0406.jpg
DSC_0407.jpg

First thing on the agenda this morning was to remove the soaked carpet and bucket seats. Took some time as whoever installed the carpet decided to secure it to the floorboards with about 100 sheet metal screws :eek: Once the carpet was out it was time to remove the bucket seats and then we spent a good hour vacuuming out years of sand and debris that had built up in the cruiser.

After that it was time to head in for work and we left the LV with doors open to left the sun and wind dry it out from the drenching the night before.
DSC_0410.jpg
DSC_0412.jpg
DSC_0414.jpg

Last pics for now...... had to show off the "custom" headliner installed by a PO some where down the line. Pretty good craftsman ship in my opinion; notice the ingenious use of a front bib ruining light for the cabin light:grinpimp:

Okay that is all for now I will try to keep updates coming regularly as things progress and most importantly I am stoked to be a fellow 45 owner:cheers:
DSC_0434.jpg
DSC_0438.jpg
DSC_0436.jpg

Great find ! Let me know what else you might be looking for down the road, I dont have an extra seat but i do have a few goodies. Dig the orginal large sight bowl carb. After seing your work on the 40 this is gonna be Amaizing

This is what it is all about,old crusty cruiser,father son bonding,dreams of glory in the sun,it never gets old dragging home a landcruiser!!! This looks like a very solid start for an lv,lets hope you can stay on the path of all original!!

Nice one you bought from Mark,
hope no Porsche cross your way ;)
so the resto* come to an end. :D
Cheers
Peter

*....old school resto ?

Nice,another 45 LV coming back to life.Cant wait to see the progress.I have a front seat,and some other random parts for sale.Let me know if you are interested,good luck with your project.

very cool!:popcorn::beer:

Thanks I can't wait to get started

This is what it is all about,old crusty cruiser,father son bonding,dreams of glory in the sun,it never gets old dragging home a landcruiser!!! This looks like a very solid start for an lv,lets hope you can stay on the path of all original!!

So true, I have been obsessed with Cruisers for years while my father never showed much interest, so I was ecstatic when he expressed interest in restoring an LV!! And don't worry we won't waiver from the all original path..... you guys will keep me in-line I am sure :D

I will post up tonight some pics of all the rare goodies I have been collecting over the years for just such a resto.

Nice one you bought from Mark,
hope no Porsche cross your way ;)
so the resto* come to an end. :D
Cheers
Peter

*....old school resto ?

Yep Mark was a great guy and he is very lucky to have not only a sweet LV in his garage but that beautiful Porshce as well..... I was very jealous!!

That rig is amazingly rust free.

Congrats on the family restoration project.

don't be too fooled by my pictures I framed them to hide the ole girls ugly bits..... she has a few cancerous spots to deal with :eek:

Great find ! Let me know what else you might be looking for down the road, I dont have an extra seat but i do have a few goodies. Dig the orginal large sight bowl carb. After seing your work on the 40 this is gonna be Amaizing

Thanks for the kind words Rob.... I learned alot from doing my '62 FJ40 resto. last year and hopefully I can improve upon my skills with this 45 :cheers:

Nice,another 45 LV coming back to life.Cant wait to see the progress.I have a front seat,and some other random parts for sale.Let me know if you are interested,good luck with your project.

Tahoe I am 100% interested in the front seats....... in fact I am going to send you a PM ASAP :cheers:

seat

Congrats, that looks to be in decent shape.
I have a front seat available as well.

Jake

It's not gonna be Tiger Orange when you're done, is it?

Not that there's anything wrong with Tiger Orange, in general, but on an LV...

;)

LOL if Tiger/Clemson Orange was a factory correct color it would def. be orange and white..... seeing how my pops and I are both proud Clemson grads :grinpimp:

orange

I can't believe I am suggesting this to a Clemson fan, but see my attached fj55. An original Toyota color. BTW, I swam at USC and graduated from FSU....we could have plenty to talk about.

Dukes
1b.jpg

Subscribed - love that LV! But since I'm a Yellow Jacket, I'm not expecting much from you. Good thing your dad is there to guide you along the way (unless he's a Clemson man too). ;)

I can't believe I am suggesting this to a Clemson fan, but see my attached fj55. An original Toyota color. BTW, I swam at USC and graduated from FSU....we could have plenty to talk about.

Dukes

Subscribed - love that LV! But since I'm a Yellow Jacket, I'm not expecting much from you. Good thing your dad is there to guide you along the way (unless he's a Clemson man too). ;)

Man oh man....... not feeling the Clemson love here fellas. Did I mention my wife is a Clemson Grad (she swam for Clemson too), and my sister and my grandfather was the first in the family back in the 40's :grinpimp:

Atleast we can all agree on our love of 45's.... maybe it'd be best to leave the college allegiances out to keep things civil in here:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom