New LV owner starting frame-off (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet! Love your FJ-40! I've got a ton of parts too since I've decided not to restore my 45lv's, drop me a line if you need anything small. (Shipping from Alaska can be brutal).

TK

Thanks aton TK!!

Well my wife just walked into the dinning room and saw what I was up to and promptly told me I am a loser :meh:

but I wanted to show you guys some of the hard to come by items I have been collecting for doing a stock resto. on either a FJ45 or early FJ40..... I've got the period correct genorator, starter, hand priming fuel pump, fog lights, canvas tool roll, tool box, owners manual, 1964 parts book, and my hotrod item my offy intake manifold that lets me run dual SD40 carbs (large sight glass) on my F135!!!!

Just wanted to show you guys I am serious about keeping it old school stock..... okay the offy isn't stock but it is way cool and a period correct mod. :cheers:
DSC_0448.jpg

check out those beautiful SD40's :D
DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg
DSC_0448.jpg
DSC_0445.jpg
DSC_0446.jpg

I am bored tonight.... it is raining out and I can't work on the LV as I haven't made room in the garage yet. So I decide to take some pics of more of the harder to come by parts I have been collecting for this build and some of the factory brochures and manuals I have collected through the years as well..... hope you guys enjoy :cheers:

I love these early "acorn" style hub caps; can't wait to get them refinished and on the LV. I think they will really complete the old school look!! DSC_0462.jpg

Here is the majority of the factory literature I have. It is a mix of FJ25, early FJ40, and FJ45 stuff..... also so have lots of magazine ads and articles but not pictured here :cheers:[/ATTACH]
DSC_0462.jpg
DSC_0465.jpg
DSC_0468.jpg

The dome light is great, so is the project.

Looking forward to this build. Next time I'm either at a Clemson game or visiting my mom in N. Augusta I may have to stop by and take a peek at the progress.

Looking forward to this build. Next time I'm either at a Clemson game or visiting my mom in N. Augusta I may have to stop by and take a peek at the progress.

Def. let me know when you are in North Augusta.... and you can cover and check the old girl over a couple of cold :beer:'s

Congrats JP.

Nice to see someone restoring my old Cruiser. I owned this Cruiser from 1997-1999 and had it in Colorado while I went to college. I drove it from Oklahoma to Colorado several times. It was such a fun truck and it turned heads everywhere.

I talked to Mark a couple of years ago about selling it to me. I thought he was going to contact me if he ever did. I don't check the 45 classifieds section much and did not see it posted for sale. Good thing I didn't see it, as it might be sitting in my herd waiting for me to get to it.

It still looks like it did when I had it. I did not do a thing to it and the way you got it, is basically the way I bought it back in 1997. Except for maybe a little more rust now.

Congrats on the purchase. Good luck with the build and I will be lurking here every once in awhile to see your progress.

whoa so awesome man!

Love the extra goodies to boot!

The factory literature is super awesome!

Subscribed :D

Thanks Destin..... I really enjoyed following your 40 build in the 25 section; that thing turned out phenomenal. Hope mine turns out half as nice as yours :cheers:

Congrats JP.
Thanks Daniel! Feel free to come by and check her out if you like :cheers:

Nice to see someone restoring my old Cruiser. I owned this Cruiser from 1997-1999 and had it in Colorado while I went to college. I drove it from Oklahoma to Colorado several times. It was such a fun truck and it turned heads everywhere.

I talked to Mark a couple of years ago about selling it to me. I thought he was going to contact me if he ever did. I don't check the 45 classifieds section much and did not see it posted for sale. Good thing I didn't see it, as it might be sitting in my herd waiting for me to get to it.

It still looks like it did when I had it. I did not do a thing to it and the way you got it, is basically the way I bought it back in 1997. Except for maybe a little more rust now.

Congrats on the purchase. Good luck with the build and I will be lurking here every once in awhile to see your progress.

Grease it is awesome to know some more of the history of this 45! If you have anymore info. on where it has been or came from before you owned it please do share.

And if you have any pics of the old girl from back in that day that would be great to see!! Check in often!!:beer::beer:

congrats on the 45... wish i was still around to help you with it... I cant believe you finally got your old man on board with your cruiser obsession... at least he knows what he is getting himself into. cant wait to see how it looks as you go along. If ive learned one thing about you, its that you will have that cruiser running and looking good before we know it...(as long as you got the funds haha)

Grease it is awesome to know some more of the history of this 45! If you have anymore info. on where it has been or came from before you owned it please do share.

And if you have any pics of the old girl from back in that day that would be great to see!! Check in often!!:beer::beer:

Let me see if I can find some:

Ahhh, here is one that brings back some memories :D

And here is a thread that I started a few years back asking Mark to sell it to me. I guess I should check the 45 classifieds section more as I never saw that Mark posted it for sale :frown:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/232630-45lv-memories.html

If you would like to know more about the LV, PM me. I can give you all the info that I know about it.
attachment-1.jpg

congrats on the 45... wish i was still around to help you with it... I cant believe you finally got your old man on board with your cruiser obsession... at least he knows what he is getting himself into. cant wait to see how it looks as you go along. If ive learned one thing about you, its that you will have that cruiser running and looking good before we know it...(as long as you got the funds haha)

Thanks B, wish you were still around to come and turn a wrench too..... next time you are back in town you need to set aside some time for a little LV wrenching :cheers:

Let me see if I can find some:

Ahhh, here is one that brings back some memories :D

And here is a thread that I started a few years back asking Mark to sell it to me. I guess I should check the 45 classifieds section more as I never saw that Mark posted it for sale :frown:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/232630-45lv-memories.html

If you would like to know more about the LV, PM me. I can give you all the info that I know about it.

Grease man I love that pic. The LV looks almost exactly the same minus the roof rack and tipi :grinpimp: Thanks for sharing the picture and I am def. going to hit you up with a PM as I would love to know as much as I can about the LV :cheers:

Alright a brief update.

This past Sunday we spent a good 6 hours working on the LV with our main objectives being to get the old old girl running and driving as manually pushing here around the yard was getting old...... It turned out to be a family affair as my sister even joined in for the fun :D

The engine to the best of my knowledge has not been run for atleast 10 years and thus the carb. was shot and needs a rebuild also turned out both the distributor (points gone) and the starter had given up the ghost. Luckily I have a spare '62FJ40 lying around that had all the above parts in good running condition so we sacraficed one cruiser for another. We check the engine to make sure it turned freely, primed the oil pump and bolted on all the new bits from the '62 and in true cruiser form she fired right up and ran like a top!!! :beer: This coming weekend we will check the compression test to get a better idea what condition the engine is in.

Once we got the engine running we found the brake master cycl. to be bad and again sourced the need part from my '62 and then proceeded to bleed the brakes. To my surprise all seem to be free and working properly atleast good enough for driving around the yard .....

With the mechanical bits finished we focused on doing some minor cleaning and stripping of the body and used a pressure washer to clean the mud and grease off the underside of the LV. That was about it for the day nothing super exciting but it was nice to hear the old F engine hummming and to make a little progress :cheers:

Time for pics!!

It seems some where down the line the keys were lost to the LV and since the igintion switch wasn't the original...... I didn't hesitate to go gehtto and fix my lack of iginition key problem. Little angle grinder and cut-off wheel solved my problem; now I have a key :hillbilly:

DSC_0504.jpg

We did a little head scratching for a while trying to figure out why we weren't getting a spark it turned out to be a combonation of bad wirring and burnt up points....

DSC_0471.jpg

At last we sorted everything out and were rewarded with the roar of the old F engine for the first time in a decade:beer:

DSC_0487.jpg
DSC_0504.jpg
DSC_0471.jpg
DSC_0487.jpg

As I mentioned before my sister came over to lend a hand with the LV. This was her first experience doing any kind of car work and being the newbie we gave her all the fun monotonous tasks :D

We started off by letting her remove the door hardware and "custom" wood door panels.....
DSC_0474.jpg
Shortly after she began removing the hardware she gave her first blood sacrifice to the Cruiser:grinpimp:
DSC_0478.jpg

With her blood sacrifice out of the way we decided it was time to upgrade her responsibilities and we put her on the angle grider with a wire wheel to do some paint and rust stripping in the LV.....
DSC_0484.jpg

all in all I think it was a good first day of wrenching for my lil sis and I was proud of her :cheers:
DSC_0474.jpg
DSC_0478.jpg
DSC_0484.jpg

I did a little work with the angle grinder on the rain gutter.... there was lots of rust bubbling up there and we wanted to get it sanded and primed before it got worse......

DSC_0501.jpg

Then it was time for a bath for the old girl.......

DSC_0491.jpg

This was the only bad part of the day on Sunday; we uncovered some pretty bad rot in the rear quaters. Though it isn't anything a little sheet work can't fix :eek:

DSC_0499.jpg

That is all for now :cheers:
DSC_0501.jpg
DSC_0491.jpg
DSC_0499.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom