Best oil for turbo 1FZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for the best or preferred oil type and brand for my 1fz with a turbo ,
The motors under 200 000km
My climate doesn't get snow or freeze if that helps

Cheers

From all the various oils we have used on our various turbo vehicles at the shop over the years the best one that we continue to use everytime with great success is Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-50. It performs great, and offers very good protection even at the extremely high heat cycles that most turbo engines go through. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

I am fond of Rotella T6 5W40. Can be bought at Walmart or most any autopart store, and it's inexpensive too.

The EJ257 motor in my subaru is really hard on oil. That motor tends to really shear down most oils really quick. Rotella T6 is one of very few that will last to 5000 miles by oil analysis in that motor.

In a turboed 1FZ using any "SM" 5W30 or 5W40 rated oil changed at 3500 to 5000 miles miles would be fine if not overkill IMO. The motor is just really easy on oil and the hot oil from the turbo has a large volume to be mixed/cooled.

I would be more concerned about where the oil return from the turbo dumps into the upper pan than the exact oil brand used in a turboed 1fz. Dumping the oil in the wrong spot from my memory can have the foamy hot oil hitting one of the main bearing on the crank due to the oil baffle and height of the upper pan in relation to the main bearings. Landtank Is the best guy on that issue.

BTW, I can not recall in the past four years that anyone on this forum having an oil issue in a turbo or supercharged 1fz.

Good luck. I hope Raven Tia or Cary will add to this thread. They know more about oil than most.

I was talking with a friend last week who builds Porsche's and his favorite oil is Mobil 1 0w-40.

Yes, Mobil1 0W-40 (Eurpean blend) is also a great oil. But we have had better results than even that one with the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40. You'll see most high end and high horsepower turbo'd sports car guys using either Mobil1 15W-50 or Mobil1 0W-40 European blend due to it's high zinc content which helps.

We used to use a lot of the Mobil1 15W-50 as well on our turbo vehicles at the shop. It's a great oil with very high zinc content (the highest of any consumer grade Mobil1 full synthetic oil), but when we switched to Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 full synthetic oil we had measurable gains in power, with no difference in wear on any of the bearings or journal surfaces. Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 has the second highest zinc content (right behind Mobil1 15W-50), and Mobil1 0W-40 comes in third place for it's zinc content. The only other Mobil1 oils that have higher zinc content are their racing oils, which they do not recommend for anything other than race use. I'm not sure of the reason for that.

Here's a good chart to go off of with basic information on their various oils:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

I'm no oil scientist, simply going off of previous experiences

IIRC in past discussions (?Cary) the suggestion was to avoid (too) high levels of sulfur and phosphorus to prolong the life of the catalytic convertors; are the levels of both in the Mobil 1 5W-40 TD Truck OK for our cats?

Last edited:
My turbo subaru burned Mobil one pretty severely. A lot of people including me love german castrol 0w30. Stopped consumption and stays clean much longer.

Rotella 15-40 in every turbo rig I have done; it's never let me down. The big diesel engines that it's designed for run turbos that last hundreds of thousands of miles without a rebuild. That's got to say something.

Completely subjective, but after using a few different oils including Amsoil synth, Rotella synth and non-, Delo, Mobil 1 15-50 and (15-40 or 10-40??), I have had by far the best experience with Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5W-40. Starts up and idles smoother. Also happy it comes in jugs now.

This is on a 1HZ-T converted FJ62 that I drive pretty gently.

Where is the Mobil 1 TD 5W-40 sold at a good price? Some of the local parts stores carry it but at $8 a quart.

IIRC the design of the cam and lifters on the 1fz "need" an oil additive zddp, zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. The EPA started removing this to protect the life of the cat. IMO screw the cat.
I heard zddp can be bought seperately.
Any mobil 1 is good stuff.
I have never used the additive myself and can not advise off experience, but when I first start up I can hear the first few revs on the head without oil.
If any one has used zddp chime in.

i run 0-40 m1 synthetic in my porsche. I used to run m1 15-50 but was told not too by smart people.

i run 15-50 m1 synthetic in the turbod 1fzfe. i dont know if it is good or not. i believe my truck has less smokey smells after high boost runs with this thicker oils. enough to convince me. i guess it doesn't leak past my turbo bearings as much.

but cheap walmart 15w40 oil is better than fancy m1 15-50 if you change the cheap stuff often

fj4068; my local Wall Worlds used to carry it but no more. I'll keep hunting.

Last edited:
I run heavy duty synthetic diesel oil in my 1FZ, and everything else that has a combustion engine EXCEPT my ATV and Honda CBR due to wet clutches... Shell Rotella T6 sythetic, Mobil 1 HD truck, Delvac 1, Shell heavy duty diesel synthetic, etc.

I did remember reading something about the zinc content of oils not being good for vehicles with catalytic converters, but whatever...

IIRC the design of the cam and lifters on the 1fz "need" an oil additive zddp, zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. The EPA started removing this to protect the life of the cat. IMO screw the cat.
I heard zddp can be bought seperately.
Any mobil 1 is good stuff.
I have never used the additive myself and can not advise off experience, but when I first start up I can hear the first few revs on the head without oil.
If any one has used zddp chime in.

Some motor oils, including Delo, Rotella, etc, mostly the heavy duty diesel oriented ones, already have zddp.

Whenever zinc is listed in the oil's composition, it refers to zddp.

What's your oil capacity now with the turbo system in place?

What's your oil capacity now with the turbo system in place?

It wont be much more as its just a oil line in the turbo and oil line out and the turbo doesnt hold much more than a few lid fulls of oil

So majority mentions running a diesel oil , , im not to fussed on blocking catolic converters as they dont bother me,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom