ROTM - Euclid's 89 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

euclid

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought my truck on a whim, to replace my 5th 4runner. I love the 1st gen 4-runners, but no back doors and the smaller size wasn’t working for the way I was using my truck at the time. In fact, I picked up my 89FJ62 on my way back from a 4-person 5 night canoe trip, a tight trip in a 1st gen 4runner. I can remember driving south from Memphis, where I bought my truck, and thinking that it barely fit in the lane and that I couldn’t reach the door on the other side from the driver seat. It felt huge.

The very first mod I made on my truck was to replace the 8” black wheels and 33” tires with a very clean set of OEM wheels and a set of 31” BFG TA/KO’s. I would never need 33’s, and I wanted the truck to be as close to stock as possible. Soon after that I replaced the front bumper with a new OEM one because the chrome on the original bumper was in bad shape. The way I use my truck as well as my build philosophy has changed a good bit since then, but a central goal of mine remains: keep the truck looking as stock as I can while modifying it to do what I want it to do. I’ve taken a lot of teasing on the forums over the years for how much I labored over how to make modifications, but the end result is a truck that is exactly mine.

About 6 months after I bought my truck I sliped into the internet black hole known as the 3FE list, a yahoo group created for 3FE owners (FJ62’s and FJ80’s). This is where the obsession began for me. Within 2 years I went from a guy that owned a cruiser to a total fanatic. I also learned more than can be explained. Only the guys that were there back then will ever understand how little I knew then compared to now. I read the list like a maniac. I asked questions. I got made fun of and then asked more questions. Ken, Steve, Lee, Dunbar, Esh, Dearborne, and many others helped me along. Later I volunteered to help moderate that list, organizing the tech that was being created. I saw this as a way I could give back to the community that had helped me so much. Soon ih8mud came along, and I had another venue. Along about that same time I was helping start CottonLand Cruisers, the Mississippi chapter of the TLCA. Bodean, Clutchee and others encouraged me to try out trail riding. That’s when it really got bad. Roof rack and sliders were first, then the slippery slope had begun.

Ebay pics early 2002 with OEM wheels and tires on it. Seller kept the pictured wheels and tires, I got black wagon wheels and 33" mud tires.
MVC-374F.jpg
MVC-381F.jpg
MVC-410F.jpeg

Last edited:
Arkansas expedition 2009:
arkansas 2009 014.jpg
arkansas 2009 018.jpg
arkansas 2009 130.jpg

Last edited:
Mod list:

Lift:
2.5" OME origional springs
HFS long shackles
Roger Brown 1.5" body lift
Castor shims in front axle
F250 shock towers
Bilsteen shocks
Little bit of front fender trimming

Wheels/tires
FZJ80 wheels with 1.25" marlin bolt on spacers
BFG KM2's

Running gear:
Front axle: 4:88's ARB locker, Heat treated Long's , ARP studs

Rear axle: 4:88's Full Floater, lockright, recently upgraded FF hubs to ARP studs and extra pins.
Transfer case: Stock rebuild with MacNamara gear
Transmission: Extreme automatics of australia stock rebuild with extreme valve body modified for 3rd and 4th gear torque converter lockup. Bought from Slee Off Road. Transmission temp guage.
Aux transmission cooler.

Engine: stock 3FE with some minor tweaking.

Brakes:
FJ80 booster/ 4runner front callipers/ eldorado rear calipers and disks/ LSPV spacer
UPDATE: Removed LSPV - https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/368133-remove-lspv.html

Exhaust

Electrical:
National Luna dual battery managment
Dual optima yellow tops
Aux power supplies
Twist lock plugs for the 12V fridge 1800 W power converter

Bumpers/Recovery/protection
Front bumper: Land Rover aluminum front bumper modified to fit.
Warn 9.5 XP in a custom tray

Rear bumper: Modified Kaymar

Sliders: Marlin Crawler 68" sliders

Roof Rack:
Old Wilderness System full roof rack. Welded in expanded metal flooring. Custom made feet. Restored rain gutters.

Lights: H1/H4 with custom hearnes from a 3FE guy that built them back in the day (somebody PM me his name and I'll edit)

Brown Davis 175 Liter fuel tank

Australian Sliding rear windows:
posts here
and here
and here
Bunch of dynamat
Waggongear tailgate and side panels.

Last edited:
Crosing Richland Creek near the Buffalo National River. Expedition featured in Trails. Trip with my dad and Chris (WCT49) and Deb (Den Mom Deb) early summer 2009
Arkansas_Expedition_125.jpg

Last edited:
Big Bend Natinal Park early 2008
117.jpg

Last edited:
* Roundup 04, Aggie Highway. Kaderabek showing me how to remove my swaybar links to gain more travel.
* First CottonLand Cruiser club run - Roundup 2004. Jesterb, Clutchee, Euclid
* Sunset
27232468.LSLCCRUISERROUNDUP2004062.jpg
100-0001_IMG.JPG
100-0060_IMG.jpg

2005 Southern Cruiser Crawl
34 LTB's and 2x4 sliders.
Picture 107.jpg

Nicely done Greg!

One of my all-time favorite Cruisers.

I can't believe I used to haul my 34's to an event and change them out.

MLK 2005 run to Telico. The trip that motivated me to do sliders.
100-0001_IMG.jpg
100-0040_IMG.jpg
100-0075_IMG.jpg

I've used your tech posts many times, both from MUD and the 3FE list. Thank you.

Great looking truck, I think you need to bring it out west.

I've used your tech posts many times, both from MUD and the 3FE list. Thank you.

Great looking truck, I think you need to bring it out west.

Thanks for saying that. I'll post some pics of my Moab trip. Also seriously considering another trip to Moab for 2010.

Ah... great memories.... Now you need a HF55! :D

HF55 won't happen in this truck. I've always enjoyed my automatic, and putting $3K in to the one I have was one of the better mods I've made. I tend to push pretty hard (for a full size wagon) when wheeling at events or orv parks. My a440 is superior in those situations to the h55. Basicaly it simulates crawl gears.

I hope to swap in some version of an oil burner in the next few years. The truck will stay an automatic.

Last edited:
Extremely nice rig. I love the river crossing.......what a great shot......

I need to get a photographer to take photos of me while I am on the trail.? always busy driving.

Thanks for saying that. I'll post some pics of my Moab trip. Also seriously considering another trip to Moab for 2010.

Come out for Rubicon in June! Then you can test the sliders.

I love the foresight on the taping of the door seams before the water-crossing...:D

Shop 3M: Tapes Duct and Cloth Tape

Dearborne fixed my air intake hose with it at the first katemcy. I've carried it ever since. Stuff sticks to the stuff you want and doesn't leave residue.

It was fun getting into the truck all Dukes of Hazard style. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom