Darwin Award (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After about a year of acquiring varios parts and countless trips to the machine shop, I finally got my 2F where i wanted it. Filled the rad up with WATER! fired it up and it ran like a top. Left the WATER in the rad and waited for the cash to finish my disc break conversion. Meanwhile back at the ranch we had a bit of unusually cold weather down here in the lower mainland BC. Yip you new what was coming! went out to fire the old girl up and the block was split wide open. Dial D for dumb F#@K or what!

After about a year of acquiring varios parts and countless trips to the machine shop, I finally got my 2F where i wanted it. Filled the rad up with WATER! fired it up and it ran like a top. Left the WATER in the rad and waited for the cash to finish my disc break conversion. Meanwhile back at the ranch we had a bit of unusually cold weather down here in the lower mainland BC. Yip you new what was coming! went out to fire the old girl up and the block was split wide open. Dial D for dumb F#@K or what!

:doh:

Happened to a friend of mine too........he is still alive but hates himself for it.

Think about it as the 3 way to wisdom.......bad experience.

Hell I'd feel bad

but if you want cheering up my mate left a 1000hp twin turbo isoto fran somthing italian engine with you guessed it no anti freeze

k6zup.gif

It hurts so much you have to laugh. Sounds exactly like something I'd do.

Hey, it's not that bad... Be glad it's a 2F... All you need is another block and a little bit of work.

I bought my 40 a year ago from a guy that did the same thing. Lucky for me it was just freeze plugs but I bought it not knowing for sure. Bummer.

Man that really sucks. It sounds like you have my kind of luck. The only difference is I would have thought about it just a little too late after the damage was done. Then I would wouldn't speak to myself for a couple of weeks until I got over it. Just kidding, in times like these the only thing that you can do is laugh or cry.:crybaby:

Nah thats not Darwin Award, its more like the s*** Happens award, trust me I know, this sounds like something I would do, wait, I did do that on a previous car (subaru) i had just got done doing the whole head gasket replacement etc, after lots of beers, I just got up the next day and dealt with it, time and money will fix it all.

Big B. that sucks for sure.

I've got one almost as bad, but if we all told our own sad tales they'd move this to chat. Sometimes we just have to 'walk it off' & keep moving forward. Except for the money part...no big deal.

Good luck, John

I did the same thing but was lucky enough to have had some remnants of coolant in the block and the water only turned to slush. God I was freaking out when I remembered though, I rushed to the garage asap!

Funny how being cautious and running water during the first start can backfire so bad. Hope you find a better than what you had block for cheap.

No doubt a bummer.. I did the same thing about20 years ago on a SBC 305. The water jacket split on the side of the block right under the exhaust manifold. I did not have the cash to buy another block so I used DEVCON Bronze putty after tapping the protruding cast iron in a bit. Ground it down to bare clean metal and slowly filled the crack as not to have putty harden in the water jacket. Once that cured I put a layer about 1/4 to 3/8" of the bronze putty out to about 1.5" past the damaged area and let it cure a few days. Looked like s*** but you know I ran that engine for 3 years after that with no problems until it quit with other problems. Bought that Devcon Bronze putty at Dixie Bearings in S.C. and it came in Stainless and other configurations too. I tried it because I used the S.S. putty on $36,000 S.S. Vacuum pumps in the Wood Treating Industry with very sucessful results. Just an idea..Sorry about the block but 2 things I have learned in life...s*** happens and s*** happens lol!

Darwin award means you were driving above highway speed after forgetting rad fluid and tranny fluid and transfercase fluid while driving a twisty turny road on rims with untightenned bolts.

This was just an unfortunate boneheaded thing, like things I and many others on this forum have done.

Sorry for your loss... but now you can find a cheap 2F replacement OR for $150 bucks get a short block Chevy conversion kit and have enough left over for some new rims and tires.

You then have easy adaptation for power steering pumps and air conditioning and even power air compressor.

I would get a pre-1971 block to avoid emissions control laws, and then throw on new heads (will need mods) and a new manifold to allow for flexfuel injection.

If you are anywhere near Saskatchewan I have a friend with a 2F for sale.

Otherwise, go SBC and never look back.

Best,

T

Bummer, that's a tough one to swallow... but I have to say the Darwin award would be more aptly presented to the kid on a school field trip, who jumped of the Golden Gate a couple weeks ago... on a dare.

Yes, this is coming from somebody who once left a socket inside his Orion T-case. It took 3 years and 2500 miles for me to find out... when it finally bound up - smack in the center of the Rubicon trail. Had to pull the case, do a full tear down, including pounding out the main shaft, to free it up... all in the dirt in nearly freezing weather with no jack. Then did a spendy full rebuild, with all new gears once I got home. So I feel your pain brother...

Last edited:
bust out the j.b. weld!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom