Where to get a new 2F motor?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 1986 fj60 that I really love. The interior has been dynamatted and all the upholstery has been done. However I went to drive it yesterday and smoke was just pouring out of the tailpipe. I got out and checked and sure enough there’s oil buildup in the tailpipe.
I had been planning on converting it to a h55f trans for some time now but it looks like the motor is going to need some major work too.

Here’s the specific problem I face, I live in the middle of nowhere and there’s no engine rebuilders near me. For reference the closest city is Odessa Texas or El Paso Texas and they are over 3 hours away in different directions. So I was thinking of just buying an already rebuilt engine and having it shipped to me, throw the new H55f and transfer case on the new to me engine and shoehorn it into the FJ60.
Now, where’s the best place to buy a rebuilt engine? I’ve seen the one at classic cruisers for $8250 and I’ve seen a couple on eBay for $7000. I figured Mosley motors was going to be even more expensive and longer wait time. I’m not after killer power just a good solid engine that’ll go good with an H55 3:1 transfer case and a Holley sniper EFI kit
I appreciate any and all the help!

TL;DR
I need a new 2F motor and there’s no engine rebuild shops near me, where do I buy a motor rebuilt ready to go in the car?

Last edited:
For that kind of coin I'd buy a diesel. You can find some low mileage HZ or 1hdt 1hdft.
I’m not opposed to a diesel but I’m still in the desert in more than one way.
Id like to buy it from someone or from a shop that’s trustworthy. There’s no real help in the area if I run into problems or can’t do something myself. The one local mechanic doesn’t want to work on a 2F because “it’s one of those foreign motors) so I bet he really won’t want to work on a diesel if I run into problems

Even more reason to swap a diesel in there. You are in a good position since you havent purchased your h55 yet. You can get one with an HZ input shaft from cruiser outfitters or valley hybrids. The engines I mentioned are literally as rudimentary and yet modern as any other engine. One wire to operate and no carb to mess with. I mention the modern aspect in regard to design (mls headgasket) and better sealing surfaces as well as good parts availability if the need ever arises. Maybe @CenTXFJ60 will chime in, he is probably not that far from you, and even though he is a bit partial to 12ht engines, it is a similar train of thought.

I think having it rebuilt and just road tripping your engine will still be cheeper than buying a new one. I feel like the prices for the 2f blocks are crazy expensive right now. I think I saw a block for around 4000 somewhere too though. Premium Toyota 2F 81-87 Engine GPT8NN4236AA - https://go-powertrain.com/premium-reman-long-block-842/ I have no idea if its any good. the picture looks like it was a quick slap together rebuild too. not much help.

They always say its either time or money. Believe me I have had to do stuff like that and I am more than 3 hours from most things even fast food.

Diesel swap would be cool like they said above.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your predicament. You may be better off finding a good used running motor that was pulled for a swap, going and picking it up and driving it back
and swap it out yourself. Of course I'm assuming you have a place to do this and the ambition to spin wrenches. No real inexpensive way to do this as isolated as you seem to be. Best of luck to you.
:beer: ✌️

Sorry to hear your predicament. You may be better off finding a good used running motor that was pulled for a swap, going and picking it up and driving it back
and swap it out yourself. Of course I'm assuming you have a place to do this and the ambition to spin wrenches. No real inexpensive way to do this as isolated as you seem to be. Best of luck to you.
:beer: ✌️
So I’m no stranger to turning wrenches and planned on doing the swap myself anyways. But if I’m gonna do the work and spend the time I want to put in freshly rebuilt stuff so it’ll last for the next 200,000 miles.

So I guess where is the best places to buy an already rebuilt motor?
either 2f or diesel
but must be h55f compatible and plug and play pretty easily

So I’m no stranger to turning wrenches and planned on doing the swap myself anyways. But if I’m gonna do the work and spend the time I want to put in freshly rebuilt stuff so it’ll last for the next 200,000 miles.

So I guess where is the best places to buy an already rebuilt motor?
either 2f or diesel
but must be h55f compatible and plug and play pretty easily
I'd call all the shops in my region and see what they have available. If your not necessarily in a hurry to get this done
I'd pull your motor disassemble, Inventory parts and find a reputable Automotive machines shop to machine the Block, rebuild/machine the Head.
I'd have them polish the Crank and fit the bearings. Meanwhile you can source all your parts. Valley Hybrid and Cruiser Oufitters are great folks.
There's a ton I'm missing for sure but I'd also let the machine shop handle ordering the proper Rings for the bore. Yada Yada Yada.
OEM Head Gasket and Valve Seals There are upgrades that can be made to the Valves and the Cam.
✌️ :beer:

Agreed.

Unless you want a project, pass on the diesel conversion. It's not as easy as people are making it out to be to do it correctly, for it to look and operate as it did from the factory.

And there are **very few** confirmed low mileage Toyota diesels out there, regardless of what Roma says. Most have lived hard lives in not so great places.

wonder if this is still available, last new 2F I recall

@Masonblackmon I second the suggestion of reaching out to @CenTXFJ60. He’s a fellow Texan who’s an expert on this stuff. I don’t want to promise anything on his behalf, but he’s an amazing wrench, a Cruiser expert, and specializes in H55 swaps. Maybe he can help, maybe he can’t, but it’s worth a conversation. Never been there myself, but there’s always magic happening in his barn.

Youre creeping into v8 swap money with those prices on the "new" 2f. If youre wanting to keep it, there are always folks selling their 2fs when they ls swap their trucks. I sold my 2f and H55f and shifters and stuff for just over $2k when i did my swap

Why don't you hit pause here and determine just what it is that is wrong with your engine? Definitively determine what the symptoms are beyond a quick glance. Do a complete diagnoses and gain a complete understanding of just what the causes of your symptoms are and then make any decison about your course of action. Chances are your engine's shortcomings can be addressed far short of a replacement engine.

Mark...

agree with mark w. most of the time when a customer asks me for a rebuild or replace an engine I end up diagnosing it and fixing it instead. What if its just a crankcase vent issue?

Man you are way out there from a logistics perspective. I spent new years week on a ranch in Candelaria just SW of you. I’m not knowledgeable on machine shops in Midland/Odessa or EP, but glad to help with any in the San Antonio market. Mark has a great point above and would be good to know what’s going on with your motor. Keeping it stock with the H55 is a great choice. I am a diesel fan (Toyota’s) and can’t go wrong there. As Onur stated, they are not plug and play but going down this path to me there is nothing cooler. If you have some modest wiring and welding/fab skills you can make it happen. And resourceful as far as sourcing parts etc. From experience I can tell you I’d pull apart the top end at a min on any used diesel and do a refresh. I’ve burned myself twice before determining this (I’m a bit slow). By pulling the head and oil pan, you can get a good assessment of what you’re working with. And you can still buy OEM gasket kits for the 12HT and I assume the other motors. IMO rebuilding your existing 2F would be less expensive vs buying/refreshing a 12HT (or 2h, 1hz or 1HDT). So it’s a matter of what your end goal is for your 60. Good luck and glad to talk offline if there’s anything I can do to help.
Thanks.
Jimmy

Agreed.

Unless you want a project, pass on the diesel conversion. It's not as easy as people are making it out to be to do it correctly, for it to look and operate as it did from the factory.

And there are **very few** confirmed low mileage Toyota diesels out there, regardless of what Roma says. Most have lived hard lives in not so great places.
I never said there is an abundance of low mileage diesels. I said a low mileage HZ. Ian mentioned having one that will be available from the double cab. The EV place in Canada also has them available. I purchased a 12k mile one on mud. They're out there. I believe Joeri has had some low mileage ones as well at one point. They're out there if one is patient.

Let's be honest here, unless you want a project sell your Land Cruiser. Rebuilding an engine is not a weekend endeavor, neither is replacing your 2f. If I was to put thousands of dollars into an engine it wouldn't be a 2f.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom