Builds Wheel In Luxury -a GX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's pretty cool. Does the incognito re-enforce the front bumper?

Last edited:
IMAG0167.jpg
IMAG0183.jpg
IMAG0198.jpg
IMAG0170.jpg
IMAG0166.jpg

So a update; the Lexus got really thirsty and took a big drink, more than it could handle apparently, turning the intake into Lake Erie... Of course this would also be while at WOT and the outcome is lots of CEL codes and bent valves... Sourced a replacement motor with 110k mi from a 4runner. While I'm at it I figured this would also be a great time to get the Doug Thorley headers and a full stainless exhaust system. I'll be saving the original motor and rebuilding it to swap into my 4runner.

So stay tuned for more on the swap...

Last edited:
Yikes!

Creek crossing deeper than expected, or...????

- Brian

No, well yes sorta, I had driven through it twice early in the afternoon with no issues so IDK what happened different that time... Just sucked... (no pun intended)

Sucks! Good luck with the swap!

Bore and stroke, port and polish over sized valves basically anything you can do to any other N/A motor

So today I made use of a day off and installed a trans cooler and inline filter. I'm glad I got the big one, as there really isn't room one with a fan... This one drops all the way down to the bottom of the AC condenser, so it's nice and big. The box says "full size motorhomes and 5th wheels over 10,000lbs..." OK yeah sure, but it should be good for me with a little off road trailer and bigger tires. And the occasional towing of the 4runner (5800lbs by itself). I'm probably add another filter on the return line at a later date when I have more enthusiasm lol. But for now it's nice to have it back and feel good knowing the trans is protected.

View attachment 1237140 View attachment 1237142

do you have a website and/or part number for the cooler? have you been able to check the temps after driving a while.

Well this has been dead a minute... Ok so a few updates I have been slowly working on getting it back together had some hurtles along the way. I ended up buying a good used low mileage motor and digging into that from there. It will be ready for a M112 SC once I get a intake manifold for the mating. I am using a custom stainless 2.5" exhaust that utilizes the stock cats (enlarged to 2.5") with V-bands to have things removable if needed (cat replacement or straight pipe as I am no longer required to smog test in my state). That needs a few more finishing touches to be 100%. With all this time going by and other projects along the way with my 4runner and other vehicles and home stuff and deployment prep and last minute pull off the deployment, and job change ect ect ect yeah I'll be honest I don't remember exactly the routing of the wiring for the motor so to solve that problem I just bought another 04 GX470 because that's the easiest way right!?

So for a while now we have been looking for a truck to have, to tow things, use as a truck ect but to get anything that is worth getting and or that the wife would enjoy driving and be big enough to haul the family and tow everything we need, we would be going right back into debt, and that's just not an option. So after some thinking and consideration we decided that getting another gx would actually fit that bill better -one, the wife loves it and wouldn't mind driving it. Two, it's got the same towing rating that a first gen tundra has(the only truck we could get into right now that made sense without going into debt) but the GX has a much better chassis, and way more interior room. Three, I already know the GX and it's ins and outs, have parts for it, and well it's gonna be beneficial to both rigs to have twins for trouble shooting and or diagnosis of any issues. Four, for the price I would pay for a clean 1st gen quad cab 4wd tundra up here I can get a GX and a 5x10 tandem axle dump trailer that I can tow with either GX. So the decision was made to get a GX, and the first day looking we scored.

It was a poorly advertised listing mediocre pictures but it had what I wanted pre-vvti, non nav, dark interior and 3rd row. The plus was it was the color I originally wanted 1E8 or Ash Blue Mica. They were asking $10k for it with 250k on it for an 04 so kinda high but not unreasonable, and besides these 2uzs aren't worry some motors so the miles don't really scare me. It had the typical issues -cracked dash, no record of a recent timing belt ( serpentine belt looks old so probably in need of one), yellow headlights, some paint flaws, pealing wheels ect. But the frame was rust free, the air suspension worked no CELs or fault codes interior other than the dash was 8/10 and only had one issue. So we offered them $7k using the dash and timing belt as leverage and we drove it home.

It was Friday afternoon when we brought it home to meet it's long lost sister. The the reunion was as sweet as one might suspect, the encouragement they gave one another was wondering and in no time the mods started. First on the agenda was those headlights and fog lights, so a couple hours the next morning and they were all cleaned up and looking much better. After that I grabbed a set of wheels I had been holding onto in the garage for a rainy day and put them to good use. Then I dug out my old lift that I held onto for when I need to rebuild my Icons. So out came the Ironman Foam Cell Pros and my 2.0vs rear shocks. The wife gave me a hand yesterday afternoon and we got it all torn down and the front installed before we decide to call it a night. This morning early a friend who also has the day off came over and we social distanced(not at all) and finished out the lift. I dropped the rear bag sensors down 1" and that probably have me close to 3" of lift back there. I didn't measure before we started and I should have but oh well. All new 150 brakes are on their way and will be here tomorrow, along with all new fender skirts for the front and a new radiator and TB/h20 kit. So far the wife is very happy.

End goal, new dash obviously, OME BP-51s, Nitro Gear 4.56s, another hidden winch, and custom sliders under the running board skins. This will be the wife's so she has to approve everything, and she's not a fan of the light bar on mine (honestly I kinda side with her on that now) so she's not allowing that kinda stuff. I will however be getting a BX projector setup for light for both trucks before all is done.

IMG_20201018_084411_914.jpg

IMG_20201019_173350_404.jpg

IMG_20201018_203223_994.jpg

IMG_20201018_203223_997.jpg

IMG_20201016_181039165_HDR.jpg

It will be ready for a M112 SC once I get a intake manifold for the mating.

Wait...did you just say you’re putting an M112 on this thing? I’d love to know more details. I’d love to have an M112 for either of our GX’s.

Wait...did you just say you’re putting an M112 on this thing? I’d love to know more details. I’d love to have an M112 for either of our GX’s.
Yeup I am working on tracking down a manifold to mate the two. I'll post details once I have it all figured out

what wheels are these
SCS stealth 6s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom