Builds Wheel In Luxury -a GX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i figure its time to start my build thread here on my GX.

i bought it at 131xxx miles, from a dealer in Tacoma Wa on Dec 24th 2014. had been looking for a replacement daily driver for my aging 97 4runner that i had bought in 2010 after returning home from Iraq. and over the next 4 years i proceeded to put 100k miles on it and build it from 100% stock to a full expo ready wheeling rig. the Rescue Runner build thread - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum anyhow with 300k miles on the clock it was time to get something else to daily drive. so the search began. at first i was looking at 100 series LCs but their price was higher than i wanted, and the mileage sucked. so then it was to the 4th gen 4runner, but they seemed a little cramped for room and over priced. then i stumbled across a build thread for a GX, and learned that it shared the same platform as the 4th gen 4runner (120chassis). so i started looking at them, and learning about them. i found that i wanted one without navigation, and i wanted the 3rd row seating. it took me a few weeks of looking across the country but i finally found one, and it was fairly local.

the goal for this build is to be a daily driver, but yet capable of mild off roading(needs to perform as a SAR rig, as well as family camping rig).i want it to remain looking fairly stock, at least to most people. it will not be getting bumpers(as there are none that i like available for it at this time). it will get a hidden winch, and at least a rear locker along with the OME BP51 suspension when ARB releases it for the 120s. im also wanting to put some sliders on it, either the OPOR from MT or do a custom slider that replaces the running boards support structure, leaving the running boards on to look stock.

so onto the mods i have done... so far its been pretty basic. the first thing i did was order a full set of weather tech floor mats. i upgraded all the interior lights to LEDs, and reprogrammed some of the programmable parameters such as turning off the DRLs and changing the remote unlock function. i have also installed a HID low beam kit from TRS (4500k) and upgraded the high beams to LED (5500k). i have installed a set of PIAA LED DRLs in the bumper vents. i have put a slight lift on it using struts and a spacer from a FJC. at first i just dropped the AHC sensors to trick the computer into putting more air into the rear bags to match the front. but then i got around to pulling the rear bags and using the rear coils from a FJC with spacers there as well a set of ICON shocks i got. -total cost for me was like $160(bought it from a friend who totaled his rig and was going LT on his next rig). i scored a set of 5 FJC 6 spoke wheels for $50 on craigslist and then picked up a set of used 285 70 17 KM2s(not impressed with them BTW) for $300, at 70% tread. im not sure what all the rage is or was about these tire, but yeah im not impressed. anyhow i just bought a new set of Cooper ST MAXX in 285 70 17 from discount tire for under $1000! i also mounted my Totron 50" curved LED bar over the windshield, Land Cruiser Northwest made the mounts for me. other than that i have just been going through and replacing any broken or missing clips or trim parts.

anyhow yeah so this will be my build and i will be updating this as i do things. i also will post up pictures of the mods i have done so people can see them, and ask questions.

2015-09-10_08-44-27 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

here it is stock the the day after i brought it home, the only picture i have of it with the stock wheels on it

IMG_9278 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

IMG_9284 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

IMG_9281 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

here it is two days after i bought it, as you can see i wasted no time in "modding" it... my old tundra wheels and 285s, and then it was off to the mountian with the family for a day of playing in the snow and with the new rig.

Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

20150520_091649 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

here you can see the light bar and how it mounts, as well as the plug connector at the base of the hood

IMG_20150616_092849634 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

the switch i got for the light bar, got it off ebay. it is ment to fit into a factory knockout, but i didnt have any left, so i had to make one. thankfully next to the mirror control there was room to carefully cut one in. -also you might notice my CDL button has been relocated from the center console to the one blank here. i put it over here because i installed a dual USB port in its old location next to the heated seat controllers. i figured that was a better place for charging cell phones or what ever else i may need the USB for than having it over here.

2015-09-10_08-47-11 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

here is the USB port and the volt meter gauge i installed in it

IMG_20150630_070554 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

took the grille and sanded it and painted it a graphite metalic, i am not a fan of chrome.

IMG_20150629_220023 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

i installed a factory 80 series locker switch into the blank knockout in the dash, had to do a little trimming of the structural support behind the dash but im ready for lockers now.

IMG_20150719_095007 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

Last edited:
IMG_20150611_160807488 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
IMG_20150611_175138282 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
IMG_20150611_194144 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
i took the original wheels and had them sand blasted, as they were pealing bad! cost me $100 for the blasting. then i rattle canned them the same color as i did all the chrome trim/emblems on the truck. -PITA, never again will i spay wheels, i should have just paid another $100 and had them powdercoated... oh well live and learn.
IMG_20150605_131758 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
IMG_20150605_141237 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
it was time for the lift. also by now i had the FJC wheels on it
IMG_20150719_095007 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
here are the KM2s that im not impressed with, they are ok, but yeah nothing special and they absolutely suck in the snow or ice

Last edited:
IMG_20150530_213921840 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
here is the light out put with the HIDs and halogen high beams -this was before i did the LED swap in the high beams. i also did a mod that allows you to run the fog lights anytime you want, even with the high beams
IMG_20150530_213941127 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr
and thats with the light bar on top with all the other lights on. basically i can shut off all my other lights and not even notice any difference.
IMG_20150530_214110781 by Isaac Yocum, on Flickr

i have also addressed the headlight yellowing or fading issue that is common with most vehicles that use a plastic/acrilic lens. i took some fine sandpaper (800 and 1000 grit) and wet sanded the lights(after masking off everything around the lights) and then cleaned off the lights with some soap and water, let dry and sprayed about a half dozen coats of clear over the lights and let that dry for 24hrs and it has worked like a charm. almost as good as new. it got rid of the yellow haze and they are crystal clear now. i had tried to do the polish trick, and it worked for about a month but soon yellowed and was almost worse than before.

Last edited:
How's wind noise with the light bar mounted above the windshield? Are they planning on making any more mounts, of was that a one-of deal?

Mine was a one off, but if there is enough interest I can take my rig back and have them make a template and make more, its just got to be enough interest... Mine was spendy as a one off...

How's it mount? Screwed into the body / A-pillar?

How's it mount? Screwed into the body / A-pillar?

its mounted into the structural of the roof. under those black weather stripping that run up from the body along the windshield and back to the end of the roof... its nutcerted into to the roof to keep things water tight and clean looking.

welcome bud!

i love the 4 runner ... lets see the gx

ok added some pics. i have posted pics of it other places around the forum, but i tossed some of those in here as well. also if you do a search on instagram for #wheelinluxury you will see all of the pics of it i have there as well

ok added some pics. i have posted pics of it other places around the forum, but i tossed some of those in here as well. also if you do a search on instagram for #wheelinluxury you will see all of the pics of it i have there as well
oh ok im new here but just thought it was strange to see a build thread with no pics ... i'll look you up on IG .. you can find me @Katdaddy ... funny in the last week iv figured out like 4 gx owners on here who i already follow on IG
Rig looks good

LOL ... Im starting to think we should plan a gx-po (GX+Expo get it? ;) ) somewhere between Louisiana and California ... we have three here on Mud just in Baton Rouge ... #woodgrainwarriors !
I'm planning a traverse-Utah trip in June 2016 - maybe somewhere around there?

hahaha wood grain warriors, I like that, that would make an awesome sticker
or a cool patch ;)
WGW.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom