What's On The Grill Tonight? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

been playing with grilled zukes and sweet potatoes recently... yumm...

Turned out pretty good with some italian dressing on them. I think next time I'll marinade everything for a while before hand.

and of course, grilled sweet corn with a bit of EVOO, and spices to your liking. (I like bbq spices, red pepper or lemon pepper.) Double yum...!

Too hot to cook inside so this caramelized red onion pizza got baked tonight on the grill. Before and after shots :D
DSC_0251.jpg
DSC_0253.jpg

I realize that a lot of people don't like okra, but we love them so I grow a ton of them. I recently discovered our favorite new way to cook them which is on the grill. It's also about the easiest way that I have found to cook them.

Put them in a container with a lid and a little EVOO. Shake them so they get coated. Onto the skewers. Sprinkled lightly, or to taste, with either Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's. Grill over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, flipping once. Give it a try if you like okra.
Grilled Okra.JPG

as an aside, I've been reading a bit about what oil to use for grilling.

Consensus among "experts" seem to be that EVOO is not the best to use. Doesn't handle heat well and the great taste -and cost- is mostly wasted anyway. Of course, what I had been using on the assumption that it'd taste better... Not the case apparently.

Per recommendations, I'll be trying Canola -very little taste- for grilling and then afterwards adding fresh EVOO if wanted for the taste.

(And if you have not used it yet, the PAM spray cans seem to be mostly canola and are sooo convenient for grate treatment and maintenance. It now takes me literally 5 secs with that to prep and finish off the grate, vs 5 or 10 mins with towels or brushes before. My grates are now always beautiful.)

And FWIW, I did a taste test of italian EVOO from TJ vs the "California Estate" EVOO also from TJ and the latter was much better IMO. Had a nice peppery flavor to it. Very interesting.

Another oil that works great for high heat cooking, grill or fry pan is grape seed oil. Very high smoke point and almost no taste. Once finished cooking, a light drizzle with a fine olive oil or aged balsamic vinegar does wonders.

Just got home from Costco, these looked like something out of the norm. I didn't buy any, figure I'd get some reviews first. Anyone try them?

http://www.tridentseafoods.com/food_service/products.php?id=434

Split, Haven't had that brand but, another with not so good results.. I make mine from fresh salmon or canned.. much better and get to personalize them a little.

My fresh are a version of this.. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/salmon-cakes-recipe/index.html

Very flavorful and I make a chipotle dill mayo and put on a kaiser bun.

J

Wow both sound good. I have salmon in the freezer. Thanks!

I prefer using raw fish (salmon or tuna is what I typically use) for burgers.

Here's one of my go-to recipes for Salmon Burgers; the same can be used for tuna too.

Recipe courtesy of Lummi Island Wild

1-1/2 lbs wild salmon fillet
2T dijon mustard
2T fresh thyme, minced
2T capers, drained and chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
2T finely chopped fresh parsley
2t salt
1t black pepper
1/4C olive oil (I prefer sunflower or safflower oil with a couple Tablespoons of butter thrown in)

English muffins, toasted (or burger buns)

Roughly chop 12 ounces of the wild salmon fillet, then ½ inch cube the remaining 4 oz. Set aside the 4 ounce and place the 12 ounces into a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the Dijon mustard, the thyme & parsley as well as the salt and pepper. Process on pulse until the salmon is roughly smooth. Scrape the salmon mix into a bowl and mix with the reserved salmon cubes and green onions.

Form into 4 patties and refrigerate for ½ hour. Letting the patties rest in the fridge will help the patties stay formed while frying. In a 10 inch skillet on medium high heat add the olive oil, then add the patties and fry as you would a hamburger, to your liking. Serve on the muffins or your favorite buns with good quality condiments.

These burgers will keep 3 days in the fridge or freeze for convenient use later

Suggestions: roasted red pepper, Dijon mustard, or quality tartar sauce.

Last edited:
Hey Spressomon, this is just an idea----but have you ever thought about maybe starting a Mud Cook book with input from tested recipes from several or all MUD COOKS, and maybe --------------
if it goes off prety good, put something together and selling it with proceeds going to something we support, or womens shelter, or ????
Just thinking 'bout the help u gave me w/the smoked trout brine.
I know that we all think that our own skills are above reproach, but I just guess that happens when you combine meat, fire, cold beer, and ---OH Shnnt.
Let me apoligize if I started to hi-jack this thread. Did'nt mean to, sorry
-Jim

Hey Spressomon, this is just an idea----but have you ever thought about maybe starting a Mud Cook book with input from tested recipes from several or all MUD COOKS, and maybe --------------
if it goes off prety good, put something together and selling it with proceeds going to something we support, or womens shelter, or ????
Just thinking 'bout the help u gave me w/the smoked trout brine.
I know that we all think that our own skills are above reproach, but I just guess that happens when you combine meat, fire, cold beer, and ---OH Shnnt.
Let me apoligize if I started to hi-jack this thread. Did'nt mean to, sorry
-Jim

I'm with Jim.. Great idea for a good cause...

Oh and Split.. I had to make some salmon cakes... Here's a pic..

J
DSCN3404.jpg
DSCN3403.jpg

3 Little Piggy's...

We had a pork Tri-Fecta this weekend with Smoked Pork Shoulder (not pictured) St. Louis Ribs and home made Kielbasa Sausage! The 18-20 inch links were a big hit! Check it out! (sorry for the tilted pic, can't get it flipped 90 degrees...)
photo (3).JPG

What kind'a name should it have?
4X4 Grill MUD FOOD Gott'a Grill Webber Addicts LTD
If you grill off of a bumper mounted BBQ, we could call it Swing'in Meat
Where u at suppresomon
-Jim

^ Sorry...life's getting in the way of my 'MUD surfing :rolleyes:. My hunting dog Sieg is in the final throws of prostate/bladder cancer and has kinda taken over my life...it looks like this is "the" week :frown:

Anyway...great idea although I'm not in a position right now to take on any new projects. And I appreciate the kudos...we have a great bunch of contributors here to all things food related. Certainly beyond just "Camp Cuisine" but all fun just the same!

Getting ready to throw some sockeye I caught last summer in the smoker...might have to steal a couple slices of sashimi before brining though :D

R: The salmon cakes look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom