What do you use to clean/polish ragtop vinyl windows? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
Inquiring minds would like to know...

Honestly? Windex. Works great!

upload_2016-7-26_23-17-34.png

For the plastic windows only...works great! used it for years on motorcycle helmet face shield. Doesn't scratch as long as surface is clean along with a clean microfiber cloth.

Inquiring minds would like to know...

@JohnnyC is the expert here when it comes to soft tops. I've have good luck getting the plastic windows in my old Kayline soft to clear up the frosted look with a rubbing type compound designed for soft top windows. Being in AZ like you I rinse and wash off as much dirt as I can without scrubbing first to prevent scratching the windows. Followed up then with a cleaner/polish. These were not spray on but rather more of a paste. Wasn't quick and easy be cleared then up pretty good.

I agree AZ is hard on soft tops. If the windows are exposed to the sun they will turn brown then black and once that happens nothing will bring back. Dry rotted zippers and thread have been my worse problem. But those are on used tops I've bought. My best tops have been kept inside and haven't suffered the same fate. JohnnyC has created a few thread on soft top care and worth the read.

Anyone had any success using WD40 to remove the yellow tinge from the windows? Similar to how it works on headlights...

Anyone had any success using WD40 to remove the yellow tinge from the windows? Similar to how it works on headlights...

Once it turns yellow its toast. I use a marine grade clear vinyl on the motor home bras that we build and give them a 5 year written warranty. We get some back for repairs, or the customer needs something else, that are over 10 years old and they are clear, clean and pliable. The same vinyl glass goes into my trailer builds. We used to bottle and sell a private label vinyl cleaner but use it in house only now. 303 is way to spendy but Meguairs is always on my shelf though. Walk through the next RV show that has a lot of vendors and you can find good buys on quality vinyl protection without breaking the bank.

The problem with yellowing is from vinyl formulations that do not include U.V. inhibitors in liquid form when the vinyl was poured. Modern formulations for automotive and marine glass have U.V. inhibitors. Think about RV awnings that evaporate and fall apart right at the very top where they attach to the coach via awning rail. Everything down from there and protected from constant U.V. exposure is like brand new. This is the cheapest stuff that money can buy. In fact, if Dometic and Care Free could come up with something cheaper, I am sure that they would. I have replaced countless vinyl awnings using vinyl banner stock that will outlast the coach.

meguiar's clear plastic cleaner is the best at clearing yellowed windows ... 303 is the best at maintaining the Windows from ever yellowing

My 2c

:)

Nice to see through these again, even through the pinstripes. Thank you for the 303 recommend.:cool:

I went the lazy way, autogeek.com although the shipping was almost the same price as the product.

Another vote here for 303...it works well for cleaning and maintaining the finish without being too over glossy or attracting dust.

One method of I've found good at removing the top yellow layer or scratched surface is using wet sandpaper. Grit choice is determined by how deep I need to sand. Usually 600-1000 grit for me. Keep the material wet and sand away. Gradually use finer grits, ending up with 3200-4000 grit. At this point your surface with be ultra smooth but cloudy. This is where you use MecGuire's #10 plastic polish Johhny mentioned. You may need to do a few applications of polish to get it like new. If your windows are soft platic, I'm not certain how sanding would work.

View attachment 1297263

For the plastic windows only...works great! used it for years on motorcycle helmet face shield. Doesn't scratch as long as surface is clean along with a clean microfiber cloth.

X2 on this. I use this on the airplanes Windows which are very easily scratched with any abrasive cloth or cleaner.

View attachment 1297263

Plexus is 100% the best product for polishing plastics/perspex etc.

It's wonderful stuff - buy a can and never think about it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom