What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (114 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Received the blackstone report from my last oil change. Truck has 295k, I've had it for ~4yrs and its burned 2 qts every 5k for as long as I've owned it.

I feared the worst, when I read the report the comment from Blackstone was that the engine "Shows virtually no wear at all, and is in remarkably good condition for its mileage, even for a 1FZFE which is known to wear really well." Numbers looked good all the way down.

Guess I wont need that spare engine in the garage I was planning to rebuild. Sigh.

Are they saying that because you keep adding fresh oil throughout that 5000 miles? I've wondered what mine would say because I'm burning/leaking a barrel per week...

Had big plans for this weekend. Was going to do the oil pump seal and crankshaft seal, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Instead I will be filling sand bags starting tomorrow. My town is expected to get severely flooded. The blue is where the river normally is. The white is where it is projected to crest at 24.1'. Eight years ago it hit 31.13'. The red dot in the upper left is my house. Water was to the bottom of my street eight years ago. I live high up on the hill so I'm not worried about my house. But all of my neighbors and friends are facing a rough go of it. Supposed to crest Tuesday. Let's hope it stops raining up north of us. View attachment 1325928
I was wondering how close it was to you. Stay safe!

I was wondering how close it was to you. Stay safe!

Yeah, real close. It took me 40 min to get to work today because all the roads around my house are already flooded. We got pounded with rain last night so that didn't help any.

I'm getting a couple of things done at work that I have to do in order to get paid but then I'm leaving to go sand bag and help people move. They are moving everything out of the businesses and houses up to 8 blocks from down town as of now.

I've had a bad run with the replacement brake lines. Got confused due to conflicting information.
Could someone help clear out my confusion please?

I need a confirmation on some part numbers.

I got 2 extended lines 96940-34705 and 1 90947-A2016.

I thought the 34705 were for the front left and right side. One of them was placed on the DS and one in the rear. The shorter one (90947-A2016) was placed in the front, PS.
This short one, I thought was for the rear frame to axle. Reading here on the forum it seems like that is the right part for the front PS, not the rear.
Since the pumpkin is not centered, it makes sense the DS to be longer than the PS.
Is this correct?

In this case I might have everything placed in order.
The mechanic said the car should be ready otherwise, after he fixed the leaking PS frame to axle line (had no brakes actually, the pedal would go all the way to the floor... not too reassuring driving on the streets like that).

I got a lot of conflicting information regarding those part numbers and got confused with the replacements.

Is 96940-34705 for the rear or front?
I found others have replaced the front line with 96940-34605 and 34705 for the rear. Just wondering since I got 2 of the same parts.

@beno Could you please clarify this issue for me? I got contradictory information on those items.

heading to Moab this afternoon for a little trail time tomorrow. Going with a couple neighbors, one who just bought his first Cruiser. He's coming from a Jeep JK and I think he's already been converted in the few short weeks since he bought the 80. Should be a fun weekend.

Changed the engine oil and gear oil. Getting her ready for an 11hr drive to Cruisin' the Woods in Oregon this weekend. :bounce2::bounce::cool:

View attachment 1324500
My little helper is supposed to be helping, not making more mess!
:cheers:
View attachment 1324501

After the oil change, I cleaned the interior, vacuumed the carpet. Still had some dirt from the Gold Lake camping trip. :(
View attachment 1324508

I need a saw zall and cut my garage door and make it taller! Or a bigger drive way!

View attachment 1324510

Dude, you have the perfect fleet. Very nice rigs.

Received the blackstone report from my last oil change. Truck has 295k, I've had it for ~4yrs and its burned 2 qts every 5k for as long as I've owned it.

I feared the worst, when I read the report the comment from Blackstone was that the engine "Shows virtually no wear at all, and is in remarkably good condition for its mileage, even for a 1FZFE which is known to wear really well." Numbers looked good all the way down.

Guess I wont need that spare engine in the garage I was planning to rebuild. Sigh.

Were all hypochondriacs when it comes to our rigs...

Not the weekend, but installed 280z louvers...also first picture with the Prinsu View attachment 1324830

View attachment 1324829

Nice rig...

I'm halfway through a front axle rebuild to fix a bunch of crap that got screwed up when I was having my new gears done. It's a long story..... but so far, it's included a busted wheel speed sensor, broken abs sensor, improper preload on wheel bearings, knuckles almost void of any grease, damaged front driveshaft, camber way off. Hoping to not find too much more while I finish it up.

That's a bummer. Another really good reason to do as much of the work yourself. As much as I trust the shop that setup the gears in the diffs, I am really anal about preload, grease quality, torque specs, etc. The only way I could know it was done to my standards is if I did it myself.

That and the more I do the heavy lifting on the 80 the better I know my vehicle. The better I know it, the more likely I can diagnose and treat problems as they arise.

This is my philosophy as well, i do everything I can. There are a few special tools I have no need to own, so I let the experts handle that piece, but I R&R it myself.

Last edited:
Great start to the weekend so far. Bought a 3/4 breaker bar for the crank bolt. The only one HF had was one with a quick connect end that added about 2" to it, totally unnecessary and makes it too long for some jobs. It puts it out far enough that it swings into the cross member so I can't really wedge it to the frame. So, I decided to use my 1/2" breaker bar even though I'd already broke one on my Duramax doing the same thing and heard it happened to plenty of people on here. Not surprisingly, it broke! Being desperate, I grabbed the 3/4 breaker, a non impact socket since it was shorter, and a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter. This time the adapter broke lol. I then grabbed my other 1/2 breaker bar and a cheater pipe since I was getting irritated. I locked in the flywheel and started pulling on the bar with all my weight. I watched it bend way too much for my comfort and decided to back off. Now I'm off to hopefully buy a 3/4" 30mm socket. It still probably won't fit under the frame so I may go from the top and chain it to the frame. I can't wait to see the carnage if the chain breaks lol!

I also managed to strip out one of the oil pump seal screws and my dome light popped when I was getting into the truck to bump it over. Now it has a short in that circuit somewhere. Even after unplugging all the dome bulbs, it still pops the fuse:mad:

Great start to the weekend so far. Bought a 3/4 breaker bar for the crank bolt. The only one HF had was one with a quick connect end that added about 2" to it, totally unnecessary and makes it too long for some jobs. It puts it out far enough that it swings into the cross member so I can't really wedge it to the frame. So, I decided to use my 1/2" breaker bar even though I'd already broke one on my Duramax doing the same thing and heard it happened to plenty of people on here. Not surprisingly, it broke! Being desperate, I grabbed the 3/4 breaker, a non impact socket since it was shorter, and a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter. This time the adapter broke lol. I then grabbed my other 1/2 breaker bar and a cheater pipe since I was getting irritated. I locked in the flywheel and started pulling on the bar with all my weight. I watched it bend way too much for my comfort and decided to back off. Now I'm off to hopefully buy a 3/4" 30mm socket. It still probably won't fit under the frame so I may go from the top and chain it to the frame. I can't wait to see the carnage if the chain breaks lol!

I also managed to strip out one of the oil pump seal screws and my dome light popped when I was getting into the truck to bump it over. Now it has a short in that circuit somewhere. Even after unplugging all the dome bulbs, it still pops the fuse:mad:
One step forward...

:doh:

Refilled the coolant and cranked it for the first time in 3 months. And it's alive!
image.jpeg

I bought a 1 3/16" socket instead of the 30mm, it was quite a bit cheaper in 3/4". I also used a 3/4 craftsman breaker bar secured to the frame, pulled the coil wire and gave the key a bump. Bolt came loose without an issue.

I bought a 1 3/16" socket instead of the 30mm, it was quite a bit cheaper in 3/4". I also used a 3/4 craftsman breaker bar secured to the frame, pulled the coil wire and gave the key a bump. Bolt came loose without an issue.
Good call on the standard size, I forgot about that. I even did the same thing on my Duramax only it was 1 7/16 instead of 34mm iirc.

View attachment 1324522

Thanks Phil,

Not sure if you mean mine or Jose 80 as we both have small LED's in the face of our 4X4 Labs bumpers... I won't lie, I stole the idea from Jose...

However, Jose has Amber and uses them as his turn signal...

Mine are pure white and run as a DRL under my Hella DRL that I modded into the old turn signal years back.... I run the front parking corner lights as a turn / parking light/ LED strobe.

The real question that needs to be answered is where did this unicorn come from.... Only a few places I can guess.... And I hope it didn't come from a "clown" in Upstate NY....?

-A
Looks like you and Jose have been having a lot of fun. Wish we had more trails here. 80 is looking good man.

Last edited:
Installed new front calipers and pads as well as rebuilt the front axle. Installing rear pads tomorrow.

Follow up! Sometimes you just gotta walk away for a bit. I went and found a 30mm 3/4 at a hardware store and it actually fit better than my original setup. Bumped it over and off it came :). Then I went back to the oil pump screws. Whoever came up with the impact drill method is a genius! That and a little blue wrench on 2 of the stubborn ones and I'm good to go! One screw left that I managed to totally screw up. I tried using my easy out, but no dice. I then started trying to drill it out, that didn't go so well. Then I tried the easy out again in hopes it would at least cut the head of the screw off enough that I could remove the cover. I tried the smaller one and worked up to the medium one, halfway through it bit and backed it out. I think I'm ready for a beer now :)

20160923_224935_edit_1474689074736.jpg

This is the sandbagging station I worked 6 hrs at this evening. Not a lot of pics as I was working my a$$ off!! At one point my son counted and I was filling 25 bags per 5 minutes. Or 1800 bags in the 6 hrs. Holy crap I'm beat! Start up again in the morning to keep at it.

I know we don't have squat for places to wheel and Iowa is generally a boring state to drive through but I highly recommend making a visit. Some of the greatest people in the world. The City is estimating that 40,000 people helped today. The population is 125,000. That's pretty incredible. The City and United Way had to redirect people to different locations because there were so many volunteers. Local grocery store chain (HyVee) donated food and water all day)

Bad news is they have raised the crest level...

The 93 hauled shovels like a champ! My fridge kept the water and Gatorade ice cold. And my vinyl flooring has turned out to be quite helpful with the mud and sand. Easy cleanup. (Just keeping it tech)

image.jpeg

s***, makes me want to drop what I'm doing and drive over there. I hope the flood turns out to be a dud! Thinking of you and your folks.

This is the sandbagging station I worked 6 hrs at this evening. Not a lot of pics as I was working my a$$ off!! At one point my son counted and I was filling 25 bags per 5 minutes. Or 1800 bags in the 6 hrs. Holy crap I'm beat! Start up again in the morning to keep at it.

I know we don't have squat for places to wheel and Iowa is generally a boring state to drive through but I highly recommend making a visit. Some of the greatest people in the world. The City is estimating that 40,000 people helped today. The population is 125,000. That's pretty incredible. The City and United Way had to redirect people to different locations because there were so many volunteers. Local grocery store chain (HyVee) donated food and water all day)

Bad news is they have raised the crest level...

The 93 hauled shovels like a champ! My fridge kept the water and Gatorade ice cold. And my vinyl flooring has turned out to be quite helpful with the mud and sand. Easy cleanup. (Just keeping it tech)

View attachment 1326414

I lived in IA for a very short stint, about an hour and half NW of ya, Ft Dodge/Webster City area, and while the Topography and choice of primary vegetation, dam near made me want to commit my self.... The area is full of some of the best people I have ever lived around, it does not suprise me in the least you had the turn out you do, and frankly would not have been suprised if it had been far more.

Good luck to you, and hope all ends up ok for you and yours, I know you said you live on a hill, but I have been to IA ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom