What did I get myself into? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh I've got two complete sets of drums/shoes still on the front axle that I don't plan to use. I appreciate the offer though. Are they the wide brakes?

Yeah, I think I'll go press the studs out tonight and get some new ones ordered first thing monday morning. That way when I get home next time I should hopefully be able to assemble the whole thing (well, except for the third member).

Yes, I do plan on replacing the brake lines. Not sure if it would just be easier to fab my own, or if I should just order some stainless ones (I know I've seen some on here).

I guess I should order 4 rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders too..... After all: I can't very well assemble the axle without those...

Dan

Yup they're the wide ones alright - like you, I was surprised at how large they are. If my brakes didn't need total replacement of all parts, I would have stuck with them instead of going for discs all around.

Are you rebuilding the third? Does it have 4:11 gearing?

Are you rebuilding the third? Does it have 4:11 gearing?

I'm not sure about the third(s) yet. I am 99% sure that I have one set of 3.70 gears, and one set of 4.11 gears. I think that if I decide to go with a 5 speed, then 4.11 all the way. But if I decide to stick with the H41 then I'll probably go with the 3.70s for better mileage.

I think I'm going to leave the thirds alone for the time being. Especially because I keep secretly hoping to find a cable or E locker or something for it. The thirds can wait until I figure out what is going on with the rest of the truck--I think.

After the rear axle I'll probably tackle the front axle, then the winch. After that--it's time to pull the truck inside and get to welding! edit--unless I find a smoking deal on a 2H, in which case it might be time to rebuild a 2H before I play with the truck...

Dan

Well, the hub got completely stripped. The wheel studs were amazingly easy to press out with the vise, and the hubs studs all came out without incident.

With that done.... I painted the hubs, backing plates and drums. I really like the DP90LF when it dries--it sure looks like a chassis black, and I know the stuff is tough as nails.

Tomorrow I'm going to order some parts:
1)Wheel studs
2)Hub studs
3)various hub nuts--one of them is cracked in two, so it definitely needs replacing. I've also got the main hub nut with the integral seal, and IIRC, CDan told me those were super unobtanium, so I figure I'll bring one in to him tomorrow just to see what we can find (they look fine, but new ones would be better)

Some pics. The painted parts, and the freshly turned drums (you can see the paint on the front of them too). If there's anything better than fresh paint and freshly machined surfaces--I don't know what it is.

Dan
axle parts 1.jpg
axle parts 2.jpg

Went in to chat with CDan today about various FF parts. Among other things I've got a broken lock ring that I need to send out to a machine shop. (see pic)

I've also got the axle seal/hub nut combo version of the axle (again, not available), so I'll be reusing those. I'll see if I can't snap a pic of them this afternoon for reference.

Dan
lock ring.jpg

Just kicking around the shop today...

I'm actually waiting for a rebuilt kit (bearings and whatnot) for my FF rear end.

In the meantime, I went ahead and reassembled a bit of it. Some new wheel studs from CDan, put the hub studs and dowels back in....

I'm still waiting on two more wheel cylinders for the brakes, but the two that CDan did get in fit like a charm! Best parts sleuthing ever (well, at least last week :) ).

And the new axle seals are in, but here's a picture of the 75-80 FF hub nuts--the ones with the integral seals. I got the seals from SOR, but I understand that I *might* be able to get the seals from Toyota--so I'll try that and put those in if I can (yep, I'm a snob).

Too bad I have to take off on my way to work for nearly a week tomorrow.... But hopefully me bearings will arrive so when I get home next time I can put it all back together....

Dan
hub nut.jpg
hurry up kurt.jpg

Very nice progress!! Thanks again for the wheels and tires! I can roll it aound without pumping up the tires every day! :)

Are you focusing on the axles and such at the moment....or just bouncing around with other parts of the truck?

Hey, I may trade my LV for your dad's FJ40..... j/k

Talk to ya soon!

I'm waiting on wheel bearings before I put the rear axle back together (I get 8 days off in a row starting tomorrow, so I really need those to show up soon). I should call Kurt this afternoon to see where we stand with the Koyo's...

After that's back together, I haven't decided if I'll try to do the front axle or the winch next....

I think Dad wants to pull his 40 into the shop and get to making it a BJ-40.... I'm voting we wait until the winter for that job (since it just passed emissions). But who knows....

Either that or he should just buy your LV, and put the 3B/turbo/H55f into that..... I hope he reads this and gets inspired. :) Or inspired to buy your LV and a 12HT or something.... Maybe I should call and tell the company that I need a raise so I can buy a rare land cruiser (and find a place to store it for a year or two...).

Dan

What, like I don't get things done?

Finally got in the seals and gaskets I needed to put my FF rear end back together.

Here's the pile of parts... You'll notice it's virtually all new Toyota OEM parts (including the wide brake shoes....)
ff build 1.jpg
ff build 2.jpg

After that it's the backing plate attached to the axle housing. I'm guessing I got the paper gasket right, as it doesn't fit on the other side of the backing plate (between the backing plate and the axle housing flange) without trimming.
ff build 3.jpg
ff build 1.jpg
ff build 2.jpg
ff build 3.jpg

The brake cylinders (yes, all new from Toyota). Just to make sure I've got this correct: the cylinders stamped "R" go on the right side of the vehicle, and the ones stamped "L" go on the left side, correct?
ff build 4.jpg

The backside of the backing plate and the brake cylinders. All of the hardware here was replated. Some yellow zinc, some black. The black I do myself. Easy as pie and they look great.
ff build 5.jpg

And here's the brake shoes installed. Does this look right? The pictures in the FSM aren't all that clear on where the return springs actually hook, but I'm 99% sure this is right.
ff build 6.jpg
ff build 4.jpg
ff build 5.jpg
ff build 6.jpg

Here's another completed backing plate, this time with the short brake line installed. (oooh)
ff build 7.jpg

And here's the correct order for the lock plate, hub nut, and hub nut seal for this style of FF rear axle. I'm not sure if I've seen these pictured before on here.
ff build 8.jpg

And here's the hub installed (is there anything better than new bearings and fresh grease???)
ff build 9.jpg
ff build 7.jpg
ff build 8.jpg
ff build 9.jpg

Last three.

This pic somewhat shows off just how wide the wide brake shoes are. I can definitely get down with more stopping power (since I'm not doing a disc brake conversion on the rear--the front has discs though)
ff build 10.jpg

Here's the completed axle assembly (minus the third member).
ff build 12.jpg
ff build 11.jpg

It came out really nicely in my opinion. I can't wait to do the front and shortly thereafter it'll be time to start ripping into the truck itself...

This is the last work my trucks will see though until I get back from the Project Phoenix weekend. Probably not a bad thing, as you can see how much moolah I've spent with CDan in the past little while just getting the rear axle done. :)

Dan
ff build 10.jpg
ff build 11.jpg
ff build 12.jpg

lookin' good Dan! Is the front axle next in the rebuild sequence?

Get out of my head!!!!! :grinpimp:

Parts are in the shop, and if I make it back from Gene's 35LV weekend in good time I'll be doing the front axle with the quickness.

After that: winch.

Dan

Well, I figured I'd post up here and see whats newsy!!

Anything cool going on in ABQ???

-CCJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom