What did I get myself into? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan, What steering set up are you going to run? i have my HZ sitting in the frame and it looks like it may be in the way for a sagnaw setup..

Yeah the guy was definitely interested. He had 4 of the engines...I wonder where the other three went?
The progress on your build is moving about as fast as mine. I bought the trans about a year ago and still haven't gotten things going. My 79 series on a 80 frame is gonna be powered by a cummins b3.3t. with the 5spd behind it.

Mderrick...for what its worth I have the a 1hz in a 45 and its running the saginaw box. There is a gm column in the truck. The angle is a bit off but it works.

Dan, What steering set up are you going to run? i have my HZ sitting in the frame and it looks like it may be in the way for a sagnaw setup..

60 Series.
  1. I like Toyota parts.
  2. I don't want overpowered steering, I like my steering wheel to take a little force to turn.
  3. If I can pick up a split case PTO gearbox, then I'll have a PTO winch up there, which definitely doesn't work with a saginaw box.

Dan

Have you tried G&S Cruiser parts for the split case pto drive box? They'd be likely to have one.

I nearly went 60 series on my truck, and wasn't quite comfortable with the mods required. I still would have gone that way had I not come across the Bandeirante power steering box.

Even with that box, which has a large power head on it, the power steering takes a little more effort than I would like, and I'm not sure if this is due to a worn pump, or the Toyota 2H pump's capacity, or what exactly.

I'd be curious to know if the HZ's gear-driven pump might have more output...

Have you tried G&S Cruiser parts for the split case pto drive box? They'd be likely to have one.

I have not. I'm not worried about finding one, I'm worried about finding a split case PTO gearbox at a price I like. :hillbilly:

I nearly went 60 series on my truck, and wasn't quite comfortable with the mods required. I still would have gone that way had I not come across the Bandeirante power steering box.

Even with that box, which has a large power head on it, the power steering takes a little more effort than I would like, and I'm not sure if this is due to a worn pump, or the Toyota 2H pump's capacity, or what exactly.

I'd be curious to know if the HZ's gear-driven pump might have more output...

Not that Dad's 40 has been out on the highway yet, or with a lot of miles, but the 60 series conversion I did on that feels great around the driveway. I'm also curious if the gear driven pump acts differently or not. I do know that either of our belt driven PS pumps are definitely affected by engine speed. At idle both trucks are really weak, but just off idle it's pretty strong. I don't know if the gear driven pump just spins a touch faster so that it's more like being above idle all the time or not...

Dan

60 ps

You will see I put the 60 axles on my lv...similiar to a 40s front end. Pictured are the new shock mounts I had read about in other posts from a Ford f250. Pictured also is the ps box under wires. I read posts about this subject and some had located the steering box a little too far forward. All have suggested boxing the frame and using steel sleeves. I also added sway bar supports that were not originally on the lv.

Dukes
engcompartment.jpg
swaybar.jpg

Some day I would like to revisit my 60 p/s conversion (in sig line) and see if I could have kept the OEM shock towers if I had used a borgeson-type intermediate shaft (I used a 60 steering column and F250 shock towers). I'm pretty sure I could have, and I've heard of people who have. IMO, a borgeson type intermediate shaft that is designed to allow frame flex and is collapsible, with small u-joints, will be a better solution than the 60 column that you punch the pins out to make it collapsible and allow for flex, with big Corolla u-joints that get in the way. It's not using OEM parts, but I think it will perform better and look cleaner.

I love my 60 p/s. I have only taken it out on the trails about 4 times but it's great. On the highway it's also great, and parking in parking lots it's great. It has great feel and feedback. I'm still working through a couple issues with the belt squealing when I try to turn against a rock or something, and also the FJ55 column is a little long and can be uncomfortable for long-distance driving because it sits closer than the stock 40 column, but there are workarounds for that (I think) which I would also like to pursue some day.

For ease of installation, minitruck p/s is hard to beat. But with a little more tweaking I'm hoping to come up with a system of installing 60 p/s that offers almost no draw-backs.

I used an F-250 tower. I also used the intermediate shaft from an FJ-62, instead of an FJ-60, which has a smaller U-joint immediately leaving the steering box, which I then lengthened to make long enough. That's why I don't have the massive huge U-joing in there.

That said, I think subzali is right on. This truck (the 45) I will try borgeson/hot rod U-joints and shaft using the original column. I also think that one could keep the original shock towers with this setup (maybe a little trimming to make them fit). Also, the FJ-55 column can be made to sit the same distance as the 40 series, but it takes a machine shop to do it. In my case, it's just easier to cut the rag joint off, fit a borgeson setup on it, and save some money, along with having a potentially cleaner setup.

But we'll see, once I have the 1HZ sitting in the frame I figure I'll get a MUCH better look at how much room I've got to play with. The F-towers also require trimming the inner fender, and slightly change the shock geometry (making it more vertical than stock). Not that there's anything wrong with that (in fact it should be better), but stock geometry hasn't exactly bothered me in the past...

WDukes: any pictures of the PS box and it's geometry? You can put them in your thread if you want, but I'm curious as to how it works being that far back. Here's as far back as I could mount the box on Dad's 40. I thought about moving the spring pins to face backwards, just to move the shock back a touch...
60 ps.jpg

Dan
60 ps.jpg

Not specifically 45 related, but I made a cart for the 1HZ while I was in NM on an overnight for work. (getting paid perdiem while welding--priceless!)
stand 1.jpg

stand 2.jpg

stand 3.jpg

Pretty simple really, but mostly I needed to get the 1HZ out of the cradle it was in, because that's where Dad's 3B has to go very soon when the body of his 40 goes to paint. Added bonus: 10" castors are AWESOME. So nice to be able to slide the engine hoist legs UNDER the engine cart, yes? Also, it doesn't stop for a speck of dust...

It'll actually allow me to run the engine in that stand, and also attach the transmission and transfer case (I'll remove that rear holder, and attach a crossmember under the transmission when the time comes). Before I run it, I'll probably beef up those forward motor mounts just a touch, but they are plenty stout for storage at this point...

Dan
stand 1.jpg
stand 2.jpg
stand 3.jpg

Looks good Dan. I got to do the same here real quick before classes start up again. Also thinking maybe make up a real simple cluster to test all my gauges and also a way to start with and also have a place to hold my battery and a small fuel tank. I need to get those darn isolator pads in. I have the part number, so I need American to check it for me.

Let me know when you want to borrow that starter. I can always bring it down to school with me, so you can grab it when you fly in. I can also send it up with Ali today at the meeting.

pic

Dan,
I did find a picture of the ps box location before I added the extra frame plates and a spacer moving the box outside the rail another 3/4", so I would miss the hugger headers. Sorry, you can't see the angle for the rest of the steering arm connections.
The box sits just about the same location as the old shocks. The final position of the new shock tower ended up barely covering the front set of bolt holes for the fender strut mountung bolts. I will end up fabbing the fender strut to the frame and the side of the new shock tower.

Dukes
strbox.jpg.jpg

Thanks Dukes! I think that gives me some things to think about when it comes time to do the work on my 45....

Mr. Mojo: I'll keep you posted when I'll be in town next and able to play. I'll borrow the starter then, or something.

Dan

Yeah the guy was definitely interested. He had 4 of the engines...I wonder where the other three went?
The progress on your build is moving about as fast as mine. I bought the trans about a year ago and still haven't gotten things going. My 79 series on a 80 frame is gonna be powered by a cummins b3.3t. with the 5spd behind it.

Mderrick...for what its worth I have the a 1hz in a 45 and its running the saginaw box. There is a gm column in the truck. The angle is a bit off but it works.

Those other 3 1HZ's......mmmmmmm......let me see........they could be the ones sitting in our warehouse..... if I am not mistaken.

Matt: B3.3....Cool! That will be a fun truck. It won't be the greatest for hauling or towing but it will be a nice run around truck that will get great fuel mileage. Can't wait to see the build.

I have not. I'm not worried about finding one, I'm worried about finding a split case PTO gearbox at a price I like. :hillbilly:

Not that Dad's 40 has been out on the highway yet, or with a lot of miles, but the 60 series conversion I did on that feels great around the driveway. I'm also curious if the gear driven pump acts differently or not. I do know that either of our belt driven PS pumps are definitely affected by engine speed. At idle both trucks are really weak, but just off idle it's pretty strong. I don't know if the gear driven pump just spins a touch faster so that it's more like being above idle all the time or not...

Dan

Dan: It's been awhile since I have visited this thread. Good to see you are making progress with Greg's old 45. I should look here more often.

I think you are spot on with the 60 power steering. I personally don't like Saginaw for sprung under trucks as they are too quick. The 60 is a good choice and the gear driven p/s pump on the 1HZ does not have any problems at lower RPM's. I had 60 power steering on my old Troopy and loved it. Even SOA with 35's, it did really well except for a few times out in the rocks I wished I had a little more assist.

I just ran into the same steering problem with my 45 SWB. I am installing a 1PZ/R151 in it. I thought I could get away with factory 40 series p/s but just like the 1HZ, the starter hits the steering box mount. Oh well, 60 series power steering it is. I am keeping the factory shock towers and am notching the DS to fit the box.

Keep up the good work.

GC:

The 3 others you are talking about are from Spokane, if I'm not mistaken. Mine came from Billings. I suspect there was a mine convention or something and somebody gave a presentation on "selling your 1HZ for $800." It's just a little odd that so many mines would all decide to sell 1HZ for the same price, in MT, WA, UT and WY (that I know of)....

I hope they have another one of those conferences or something. I need another 1HZ for cheap. ;)

Tearing into Greg's 45 is still waiting until Dad's 40 is back out on the road, but it's at least going a little bit, and it will soon enough start getting some welder loving!

FWIW, I plan on taking a trip out there to visit you guys one of these days, likely whenever I get Dad's 40 driving...

Dan

John,

I think Dan is right...this was quite a while back he picked up the 1hz and I got all the trannies. The ones you got this fall were from Wash. I believe. I almost bought them an stuck them on the hino for the ride home...but my pocket was pretty empty after my big purchase from you guys.

I'm not sure what to expect from the 3.3...I know in stock form it will be a turd...but I don't plan on leaving it stock for long . I have seen dyno numbers from my buddy that is an engineer for cummins that state 130hp and 325lbs of torque. And that is just tweaking the pump and injectors. They got more with a bigger turbo. That is really close to a na 1hz in hp and better in torque.

I have the Hino for hauling now :)

For what its worth the 79 cab really likes the 80 frame...The back cab mounts are real close. It only took a bit a reaming with the drill. The cab sits way higher off the ground than the 80 series...which I like.

Hopefully I will get the frame stretched soon...I can't seem to find someone to cut me a section out of an 80 frame. Alot are being parted out but none seem to be in the right stage. Once get the extension piece in my hands it shouldn't take long.

I will start a build thread once I hit full speed on the project.

Still busy finishing the 40, so no work on the 45, but....

I picked up one of the last bits I needed to collect for the truck. A split case PTO gearbox!
jelly 2.jpg

jelly 1.jpg

Aside from this, I need to acquire a parking brake of some sort for the T-case, and then it's just a matter of time. Also have to buy suspension (easy, but have to budget for it), and the rest is *just* my time and work.

Not a huge deal, but I'm pretty stoked to have my mits on this PTO gearbox. This truck will need to haul some logs around sooner rather than later, and the PTO is perfect for doing it...

Dan
jelly 1.jpg
jelly 2.jpg

Don't get excited. I haven't gotten to work on the 45 yet (but that's getting CLOSE!!!!!)

But for Christmas my parents made some signs for my wife and I. We purchased a metric ton of land earlier this year, and some signs to make it clear that it is not part of the national forest which is next to it are a good idea. Looks like I'll have to have a 45 forever now... ;)

Dad searched MUD and looked at my 45 to get the line drawing down, and my Mom routed the sign. Very, very cool.
45 sign.jpg

It will depend on how fast I can finish up the bumper for Dad's 60 (just have to finish some welds and fabricate the tire swingout), but I am hoping that next week I will get the transmission input shaft swapped so that I can mate the 1HZ to the H55f... Don't hold me to that though. I might rebuild the PTO winch head and gearbox instead. Let's see how the wind blows next week...

Dan
45 sign.jpg

Your parents sound pretty cool.
Very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom